Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bike To Work Day and Sequestration/Furloughs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bike To Work Day and Sequestration/Furloughs

Uh guys... Friday May 17 there will likely be thousands of federal staff NOT going to work due to the one-day-a-week furloughs forced by sequestration. For example, all the DOD civilians will be off work if congress and the administration haven't done a deal. Wouldn't the outreach be more effective if BTWD were say Thursday May 16? Maybe too late to change...

John

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bike to Work Week

We'll just need to focus on Bike to Work Week as an event. Our company has had a company-wide event on BTWD for the last four years. This year they finally rescheduled to May 16th.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Overtone View Post
    Wouldn't the outreach be more effective if BTWD were say Thursday May 16? Maybe too late to change...
    Sorry, it's kind of a thing now to have it on the 3rd Friday in May. Region wide, there are 60 pit stops that started coordinating things starting back in September.

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

If I had that day off, I'd ride anyway. I'll bet many regular commuters will do that.

If there are any furloughed feds that day who were planning to commute for the first time, you could urge them to use the day as a test ride, like we urge new commuters to do anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been lucky in the past and had BTWD off (my compressed day). It is looking like I may be furlough affected for this year so I am likely to start the day with a tour of the pit stops and then go for a ride. Might as well get something out of the furlough.

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FFX_Hinterlands View Post
    We'll just need to focus on Bike to Work Week as an event. Our company has had a company-wide event on BTWD for the last four years. This year they finally rescheduled to May 16th.
    We're being told no furlough in State or USAID through at least the end of the 3rd quarter.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    We're being told no furlough in State or USAID through at least the end of the 3rd quarter.
    One of the DoD folks in my office is getting furloughed for one day a week, but he gets to pick the day since he's a detailee. I haven't seen official guidance to the other agencies, but I can't imagine they'd have all the furloughed folks take the same day off every week. And in any case, if I was furloughed and had that day off, you better believe I'd ride down and spend the entire day collecting free swag, sports drinks, and bananas, and hanging out with bike peeps...so maybe sequestration will INCREASE BTWD participation.

baiskeli is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    And in any case, if I was furloughed and had that day off, you better believe I'd ride down and spend the entire day collecting free swag, sports drinks, and bananas, and hanging out with bike peeps...so maybe sequestration will INCREASE BTWD participation.
    "Lazy overpaid unionized government workers swell ranks of crazy freaks on bicycles looking for handouts while clogging traffic"

--The Washington Times headline the next day.

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

^^^^LIKE^^^^

Actually, my entire office will be closing every other Friday starting at the end of April. On the plus side, more free time to bike; down side, will not be buying a new bike this year.

Post Thanks / Like

BTWD in 2010 I was unemployed. I signed up anyway and rode to the pit stop and got my shirt. Its not like I had anything else to do.