Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bike to Work Day 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bike to Work Day 2013

Bike to Work Day will be May 17, 2013 in the DC Metro area. We expect to have a record number of pit stops including a new afternoon stop in East Falls Church. Registration will start in March 2013 at http://www.biketoworkmetrodc.org/

Post Thanks / Like

Bike? All the way to work?! That's crazy talk!

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Time for another Tour d'Pit Stops?

Post Thanks / Like

I was planning on volunteering for BikeArlington in the afternoon so a morning Tour d' Pit Stops is certainly a possibility
    Last edited by dbb; 02-06-2013 at 09:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about Bike to Work Day in terms of people trying this for the first time. Many of us think about it as a home-work ride, but for some, that's just not possible. Part of BtWD is encouraging people to ride part of their trip, like ride to the metro, or park and ride. I wonder if any of the participating counties or BIDs would consider providing free or reduced parking for people trying to participate in part (drive to a ride point). I think that Arlington owns the Ballston Mall parking garage (at least it had to go to county approval to raise rates, so I imagine they do). Ballston is a great launch point for BtWD because of its access to a number of the trails. Does anyone know if there is a way to request that the county support reduced or free parking at the mall for the day for anyone with a printed registration for BtWD?

Just a thought.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Good idea, but why a place like Ballston for a park and ride "facility"? There are areas with free parking located near the trails. Westover park? Bluemont park? The parking lot over I-66? The could potentially be co-located with a pit stop and could encourage such driving and riding behavior.

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    Good idea, but why a place like Ballston for a park and ride "facility"? There are areas with free parking located near the trails. Westover park? Bluemont park? The parking lot over I-66? The could potentially be co-located with a pit stop and could encourage such driving and riding behavior.
    I really like the idea of getting more people to try multi-modal commutes for BtWD. I've had the discussion with people in my office and point out areas near me where someone could park with easy W&OD trail access. However, I believe the parking lot over I-66 is the Washington-Lee parking lot and BtWD is a school day, so I would bet it is fairly full and may require a permit (but don't quote me on that). Also, Westover Park just has five or six spaces if I remember right. In addition to the two lots at Bluemont Park, there is a good sized lot at Bon Air Park, just a stones throw from the W&OD/Custis. There is parking at Madison Manor Park, but I think it may be more restricted given its location near EFC Metro, I know some of those neighborhoods have restricted parking on weekdays.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep the ideas coming! If it's in Arlington, BikeArlington will look into things...

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Reading about BTWD made me happy thinking about lovely May weather, but then looking at the calendar and realizing it's still only mid-Feb made me very sad.

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I was going to suggest the cul de sac on Four Mile Run Drive in front of ConsularRider's house!