Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: W&OD at Columbia Pike

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Crystal City to L'Enfant Plaza
    Posts
    2,341
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default W&OD at Columbia Pike

    Not sure when this was completed, but the fact that a cyclist can roll right up to the beg button heading up the W&OD at Columbia Pike is way cool!

    Thanks Arlington Parks and Rec and DES

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210429_093526.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	25313

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210429_093555.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	25314

  2. Likes kwarkentien, ChristoB50, JustinW liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Posts
    5,944
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    Not sure when this was completed, but the fact that a cyclist can roll right up to the beg button heading up the W&OD at Columbia Pike is way cool!

    Thanks Arlington Parks and Rec and DES

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210429_093526.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	25313

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210429_093555.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	25314
    I thought you weren't supposed to have to push "beg" button in Arlington anymore?

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    4,023
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    I thought you weren't supposed to have to push "beg" button in Arlington anymore?
    That one didnít have to be pushed pre-pandemic. The push button does activate the audio features for individuals with visual impairments though.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. Likes Steve O liked this post
  6. #4
    Steve O's Avatar
    Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pentagon City in Arlington VA
    Posts
    5,430
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    That one didnít have to be pushed pre-pandemic. The push button does activate the audio features for individuals with visual impairments though.
    That's correct. The BAC lobbied for a some time to put this intersection on "full recall," which means that the walk signal comes on every cycle without the need to push any buttons.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,364
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    wait, people are happy that there's a post in the path?

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    S. Arlington
    Posts
    442
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    wait, people are happy that there's a post in the path?
    It is a nice improvement I think. Lots of people can pile up here waiting for the crossing. They widened the trail a bit (orange area shown) so the new edge is inline with the preexisting post; used to be the trail edge lined up with the decorative brick line in the sidewalk.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	25317

  9. Likes Judd liked this post
  10. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    4,023
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Checked it out Sunday morning. This is a big improvement. I used to ride this daily when I lived down the street. This area can have lots of people moving at different speeds bunched up together. The placement of the pole on the trail edge didnít feel problematic.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    4,023
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    That's correct. The BAC lobbied for a some time to put this intersection on "full recall," which means that the walk signal comes on every cycle without the need to push any buttons.
    Thank you! Many of the dangers I experience are related to signal decisions. My death is likely to occur at the intersection of Route 1 and Slaters Lane which has three permissive car turn options while the crosswalk is lit.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,682
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Personally, I don't think the pole placement is bad, but they probably should have done a touch better with the painting. Still not terrible, and better say than on East Basin Drive, where carelessly following the white line would take you right into the curb.

    https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8799...4!8i8192?hl=en


    And please to not be talking about your death on a bike please.

  13. Likes Judd liked this post
  14. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    361
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I used the post as a de factor "Biker Bar". There was a desire line in the dirt where people did that before it was paved, so, yes, this is an upgrade.

  15. Likes Judd liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •