Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DCA CaBi Station

Post Thanks / Like

Default DCA CaBi Station

Has anyone on this forum used the station at National Airport for an actual flight to/from DC? We are looking for some testimonials for promotional efforts and have some questions about the luggage issues.

Send me a message here or email at henry.dunbar {at} bikearlington.com

Henry

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the station a couple of times when picking up a rental car at the airport. Before the station opened, this past Labor Day I used the Crystal City station and walked back to the airport for a 7 am Saturday flight to Chicago. I only had a backpack and a very small overnight bag.

3. Likes secstate, kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not yet, but I sure will in the future. I have biked to DCA a couple of times prior to the station opening. Having the CaBi e-bikes as an option will keep the sweat down prior to flying and eliminate worries about parking a bike overnight at the airport.

5. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    Has anyone on this forum used the station at National Airport for an actual flight to/from DC? We are looking for some testimonials for promotional efforts and have some questions about the luggage issues.

Send me a message here or email at henry.dunbar {at} bikearlington.com

Henry
    Yes, I used it a week ago to get home from a flight. Email me.
    Name:  dca cabi.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  91.3 KB

7. Likes kwarkentien, secstate, Yule liked this post
    ELITE Henry ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's about time!

Am glad to see the airport station finally up. A much more important station, in principle, than many of the other new ones.

Bikeshare is a great resource. I sing its praises to all who will listen. But sometimes it has been discouragingly sluggish in expanding, in putting in needed stations in certain key places. In other words, the airport station should have been in place years ago. I think I recall it was talked about in the mid-2010s as to be up in the late 2010s. Finally it was up and running by January 2021. If the idea was good and the need was there, why did it take so many years? We can/should do better. (Define 'we' as you like, for everyone involved can pass the buck.)

(The Gravelly Point Station is another obvious one. It only finally went in, I think, in late 2019. There is still no Arlington Cemetery station, which is baffling and shows the inherent problems of multiple bureaucracies all doing jealous-fiefdom-guarding, or so I assume is the problem. Dockless go to Arl Cem frequently. The demand is obvious. The space is plentiful. I recall conversations in 2017 with someone who loved CaBi but had one big criticism which restricted use: Too few stations along the bike trails, pre-Gravelly Point, pre-Roosevelt Island stations, and of c ourse the conspicuous absence of a station at Arlington Cemetery.)

As for the DCA "Reagan National Airport" station:

It would also be nice if, somehow, the station could have gotten even closer to the terminal while maintaining reasonable safety -- not having users have to walk through the parking garage. (That is, of course, a logistics question and many will say too much to ask. I know Bikeshare can't just bulldoze its way through places, of course, but just saying.) The same problem applies to some of the other Metro stations. Virginia Square is great because it's next to the elevator, but many others are quite far off. In other words, if people are to use this service as hoped, to connect with other forms of transportation (in this case, airplane), it's best to get as close as possible.
    Last edited by Yule; 04-11-2021 at 11:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Yule, unfortunately, we experienced a multi-year procurement delay thanks to our state DOT and that is why National Airport and several other stations were delayed for as long as they were.

While we would have loved to install the station closer to the terminal, as you noted, we cannot just bulldoze our way through, especially on land which is not owned by the County. Also, there is not an intuitive way to bike from the Mt Vernon Trail to the terminal anywhere else on the property.

Over the years, we try to move stations closer to the Metro entrances like we have done at East Falls Church Metro. We have two more on the calendar for installation in the next few weeks, one at Clarendon Metro and one at Rossyln Metro.

Regarding Arlington National Cemetery, we have identified a station location and hope to have more news on that site soon.

10. Likes Judd, secstate, Yule liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Zack, are you working with the MWAA to put signage in at the airport directing people how to get to the bikeshare station?

12. Likes Steve O, Yule liked this post
    Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DCAKen View Post
    Zack, are you working with the MWAA to put signage in at the airport directing people how to get to the bikeshare station?
    There is a small working group of members from the Arlington Bicycle Advisory Committee that is working with MWAA on a number of bike-related improvements. This is on the list.

The good news is that the representatives from MWAA seem sincerely interested in improving bike parking and access at DCA. Our meetings to date have been encouraging.

14. Likes secstate, Sunyata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We should make a slick bike propaganda video to publicize the station.

I had to travel for family reasons a few weeks back. It took me 25 minutes on an e-CaBi to reach the airport from Mt. Pleasant early in the morning (return trip was longer since no e-bikes were available and there was quite a bit of traffic, but let's not talk about that). I wasn't even traveling that light; strapped a duffel to the front and wore a backpack. Really a great option, both time-wise and to get in a little exercise in before a long day of travel.

The station was easy to find from the trail but a little tricker to find when exiting the airport.

16. Likes Judd, Yule liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by secstate View Post
    The station was easy to find from the trail but a little tricker to find when exiting the airport.
    I have gotten lost on every single return flight to DCA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk