Likes Likes:  13,559
Dislikes Dislikes:  31
ELITE ELITE:  40
Page 261 of 306 FirstFirst ... 161211251259260261262263271 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,610 of 3051

Thread: Freezing Saddles 2021 - Daily Photo Scavenger Hunt

Post Thanks / Like

3/7/21 - Cookie Selfie

My first stop this morning was at the Westover Farmers Market. Lots of delicious-looking baked goods there, but no cookies. Likewise, the Girl Scouts didn't have their table set up outside Westover Market (well, it was 9 AM on a Sunday). So, I rode down to Best Buns, an excellent bakery and erstwhile home of HDCC. Unfortunately, cookies are an infrequent indulgence for me and I'm back on the wagon after indulging all week in my wife's home-baked hamentaschen (a traditional cookie baked for the Jewish holiday of Purim), so I didn't go in and order anything.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8323 (Copy).jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	24872

2. Likes Nadine, LhasaCM, Steve O, DCAKen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Freezing Saddles 2021 - Daily Photo Scavenger Hunt

3/7/21 - girl scout cookies

Anne rode with me to McLean on the promise of girl scout cookies, but they weren't there. (I wonder if I went to the same place LisaE went to....) Anne & I were making up stories on the way back about how Drevil mighta caused a run on girl scout cookies with this contest..... Or maybe Boomer had bought them all....

So I went to the Pet Smart in the Willston shopping center near my house. Anne went home with her 10 miles - it's not a nice ride to the Pet Smart. Except it was fine today actually.

These 2 cute little girls with huge masks on were there with a mom selling girl scout cookies. They'd run outta thin mints of course, so I bought my husband his backup shortbread cookies, and then I impulse bought Anne a box. She'd declined my offer to get her cookies when we'd parted, so I didn't know what kind she liked.... So I asked McKinley and Gwen, the cute girl scouts, what their favorites were. One of them had to think about it, but I think it was McKinley who picked the tagalogs. So I bought Anne a box of those.

I kinda forgot it was a selfie I was supposed to take - but I did think to ask the girls if I could take their picture with the cookies for my bike photo contest, so they posed for me. I bet they're even smiling under those masks.

They're way cuter than I am anyhow

The black thing in the corner is a bar mitt - I got my bike in the pic - but that's all you can see of it after the zoom-in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Nadine; 03-07-2021 at 09:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

3/7/21 - Cookie Selfie

Name:	IMG_E4987.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	24873
    Too late to catch the girls scouts but I got my cookie at a local bakery.

5. Likes Nadine, AlanA, DCAKen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 3/8/21 - Notable Woman (with her achievement)

3/8/21 - Notable Woman (with her achievement)

On your ride on International Womens Day - which has been celebrated for over a century - snap a pic of the name or likeness of a notable woman. Just as important, mention at least one of her social, economic, cultural or political achievements (which can be as brief or as detailed as you like).

Happy hunting!

Name:	1920px-Women_Repairing_Bicycle,_c._1895.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	24874
    "Women Repairing Bicycle"

7. Likes AlanA, sszibler, Steve O, Nadine, sdots liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 3/7/21 - a pic of a bakery where you'd buy a delicious cookie

3/7/21 - a pic of a bakery where you'd buy a delicious cookie

North Capitol near Florida Ave.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

9. Likes LhasaCM, DCAKen, Brownws liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

3/8/21 - notable women

Clara Campoamor Rodriguez: born in 1888 was the lead advocate on woman’s rights during the creation of the Spanish constitution in 1931

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes bikesnick, TimDC, Nadine, DCAKen, CaseyKane50, sdots liked this post
    Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post

On your ride on International Womens Day - which has been celebrated for over a century - snap a pic of the name or likeness of a notable woman. Just as important, mention at least one of her social, economic, cultural or political achievements (which can be as brief or as detailed as you like).

Happy hunting!

Name:	1920px-Women_Repairing_Bicycle,_c._1895.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	24874
    "Women Repairing Bicycle"
    Happy International Women's Day!

Maggie L. Walker.

Maggie Lena Walker was an African-American businesswoman and teacher. Walker was the first African-American woman to charter a bank and serve as its president in the United States. As a leader, Walker achieved successes with the vision to make tangible improvements in the way of life for African Americans. Born in Richmond.

When I rode by her house a black pickup had just failed to make the turn and took out the good sign in front. plus three police cars blocking the view. Hope you don't mind two photos on this occasion.

Name:	IMG_0923[1].jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	24885 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0924[1].jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	24886
    Last edited by consularrider; 03-08-2021 at 11:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

3/8/2021 -- notable woman: Margaret Brent. A historical marker in Jones Point Park celebrates Margaret Brent (1601-1671). She migrated from England to the then-colony of Maryland when she was 37. She owned her own land, engaged in numerous business ventures, and appeared in court, leading the American Bar Association to later dub her America's first female lawyer. She was also the first American woman to seek the right to vote: she asked for the right to vote in the Maryland Assembly as part of her work trying to resolve the affairs of deceased Maryland Governor Calvert, but she was turned down. She subsequently left Maryland and purchased 11,000 acres in Virginia, including what is now Jones Point Park and Old Town Alexandria.

Name:	20210308_073200.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	24887

Post Thanks / Like

3/8/21 - Notable Woman - Alice West Fleet.

Alice West Fleet was the granddaughter of slaves, and taught at four Arlington elementary schools over the course of 31 years: Hoffman-Boston, Drew, Woodmont, and Reed. She was both the first African-American reading teacher in the Arlington school system and the first black teacher at a previously all-white school (Woodmont). She moved to Arlington after marrying Edmond Fleet, a widower with three children. At the time, Virginia jurisdictions operated under rigid segregation laws - a color barrier that existed in schools, housing, theaters, and restaurants. Fleet originally taught in Fairfax County's public schools, then in Arlington's. She managed to complete her undergraduate degree at Virginia State College (now Virginia State University) while also holding down the teaching position and helping to raise her stepchildren. Fleet later went on to earn a master’s degree in reading and engage in doctoral studies.

After her retirement in 1971, Fleet served two terms on the Virginia State Commission on the Status of Women and in a number of leadership roles with local organizations. She and her husband were leaders in the effort to establish the Veterans Memorial YMCA, which provided educational and recreational activities to youth in South Arlington.

This new elementary school in Arlington was named in her honor.

[Note: Drew School, one of the schools where she taught, was named in honor of my great-uncle, Dr. Charles R. Drew]

Name:	Alice West Fleet.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	24888
    Last edited by Catedrew; 03-08-2021 at 04:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Clara Barton, a nurse in the Civil War who later founded the American Red Cross.