Likes Likes:  275
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Pointless Prize: Civil War History

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by accordioneur View Post
    I remember that when The Golden Road collector's set came out, one of the late night hosts joked: "The Grateful Dead announced they are putting out a 12 CD set. There's no word yet on which song it is."

As someone who plays in a Grateful Dead tribute band, let me tell you it can be hard to practice those really lengthy songs. As a keyboard player, when practicing I fast forward through a lot of guitar solos
    That was definitely meme'd about quite a bit: Which song will it be?

Don't be startled if some random guy approaches you at a gig -- that might be me. I've not been to Settle Down Easy, but I may have to ride over to catch a show (and a beer or two).

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to thank BicycleBeth for organizing this. This BAFS was my wimpiest since my first, so much had I oriented my riding around my commute, and so discouraged was I by not going to coffee clubs or on group rides (QOTM and I have been particulalry strict about COVID) and not having places to go into to warm up, etc. But the civil war competition kept me interested all winter. I ended up deciding not to focus on Civil war streets and markers in general, but to narrowly focus in on the Civil War markers connected to the fortifications around the capital in particular. I not only learned much about the defenses of Washington, got to see parks and so forth I did not know about but got to ride in places I never would have ventured otherwise (which is the great thing about these kinds of competitions) In particular after exhausting almost all the forts in NoVa south of Rte 50, I ventured into DC and got to ride in places EOTR I had ever ridden, or in some cases, I had never been at all, after living in this area for 28 years.

Congrats to the winners!

3. Likes AlanA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    I'd like to thank BicycleBeth for organizing this. This BAFS was my wimpiest since my first, so much had I oriented my riding around my commute, and so discouraged was I by not going to coffee clubs or on group rides (QOTM and I have been particulalry strict about COVID) and not having places to go into to warm up, etc. But the civil war competition kept me interested all winter. I ended up deciding not to focus on Civil war streets and markers in general, but to narrowly focus in on the Civil War markers connected to the fortifications around the capital in particular. I not only learned much about the defenses of Washington, got to see parks and so forth I did not know about but got to ride in places I never would have ventured otherwise (which is the great thing about these kinds of competitions) In particular after exhausting almost all the forts in NoVa south of Rte 50, I ventured into DC and got to ride in places EOTR I had ever ridden, or in some cases, I had never been at all, after living in this area for 28 years.

Congrats to the winners!
    Yay! I’m so glad you learned some new American history and enjoyed the game! Thank you so much for playing.

~Beth

5. Likes AlanA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post

Congrats to the winners!
    I agree with you. This was an awesome game to play during Covid times. It was something to do by yourself and just go explore. I invite you to come out to MD someday and explore all the amazing stuff we have. I followed the National Road from Cooksville, MD out to Boonsboro, MD on a bunch of different rides (I got my moneys worth on that road!) It was so much fun, and I learned so much other stuff besides the Civil War. And plus. we have a lot of hills out here!!

7. Likes Steve O liked this post