Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cedar Lane Bridge closure?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    It's just a sign? What's behind it?
    The sign, shown here at the center of this StreetView(it's too small to see), is posted as you enter Hargrove CT. I don't know why someone posting a no trespassing sign on what seems to be a public road, but public records shows that the houses there are part of a home owner association, perhaps a "gated" community. It's off road to say the least, and I don't think that overgrown vegetation were trimmed recently.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are public records that show maps with property boundary, and the owner of the property, just in case you want to see if a trail/path is on private or public land:

Arlington County
    City of Alexandria
    Fairfax County

You need to zoom in real close to see property boundary, and have a lot of patience. Click on a property to view details. Alexandria maps show a big box when click on something, to see details about a property, click on the dropdown that says "Tax map", and select "Parcel ID".

Post Thanks / Like

Vaden is currently also closed for construction (5/7/20). Coming from the west I got across by walking my bike through the metro concourse.

Post Thanks / Like

Cedar Lane Bridge to open in two days(December 23, 2020):

http://outside.transform66.org/about...cedar_lane.asp

It would have a shared-use path on the east side(17.5') and a sidewalk on the west side(6.5').

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by n18 View Post
    Cedar Lane Bridge to open in two days(December 23, 2020):

http://outside.transform66.org/about...cedar_lane.asp

It would have a shared-use path on the east side(17.5') and a sidewalk on the west side(6.5').
    Sigh. I will miss the flashing red light where Cottage crosses Cedar. That light won't change for a bike and the east-bound pedestrian beg button is hard to reach.

The old Cedar Road was very narrow on either side of the bridge with no sidewalks north of I-66. What does the shared-use path connect to? Or does it just dump you back onto Cedar at each end?

6. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    Sigh. I will miss the flashing red light where Cottage crosses Cedar. That light won't change for a bike and the east-bound pedestrian beg button is hard to reach.
    I will miss that light as well--Fairfax has way too many lights that won't change for a cyclist.

I will also miss bombing down Cedar from Gallows/Electric with the reduced traffic that made it feel not as harried.

Not sure if anyone remembers this, but back when they rebuilt the bridge over Scott's Run, Georgetown Pike was closed to thru traffic for a while, and you could walk or ride on parts of it in bliss. Cedar was not quite that free, but some days, I'd ride from Electric to Cottage and encounter just a few cars.