Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting through army navy country club, any issues?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    From my understanding of every Washington Post and ArlNow bicycle article I've read the comments on, if you are on a bike, you are automatically undesirable.
    Yes.

Formerly of the Pike where I was hit twice in bike-friendly Arlington. Now in Takoma Park.
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to cut through occasionally as it also greatly improves my route. However, eventually I decided that the stress of potentially being scolded was worse than the stress of riding the Pike. I often wonder though if it would have been possible to extract a concession on this point in exchange for approval of the clubhouse. It's something like 14 years between construction of the clubhouse and construction of the connector trail that will benefit neighbors who are rocked to sleep each night with its music. On a similar note, with ANC talking about booting the limited cycling options that exist now, I wonder about whether this could have been addressed in the land swap deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elbows View Post
    I often wonder though if it would have been possible to extract a concession on this point in exchange for approval of the clubhouse.
    As I recall, that was part of the discussion--what, probably about 5 years ago now?

Chris S, do you remember details? Gillian, were you part of the BAC then?

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    I'll never understand why a separate ped/bike path has to be built thru the ANCC as part of this deal when there is a *perfectly good* road right there (though I admit I'm fuzzy on whether a sidewalk extends the entire way).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input, everyone! Gonna give it a whirl next week. Elbows, I'm with you..the stress of anticipating encountering someone who may chide me for using the route may actually persuade me to stick with the pike. But I'm gonna give it the ol college try. Fall weather beckons that I do this.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to go up and down it all the time. Once a early morning crew stopped me, but it turned out I knew the agronomist directing the guys. He had taken a GIS for turf grass folks years ago.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Raymo853; 01-16-2017 at 08:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wabisabi View Post
    Thanks for the input, everyone! Gonna give it a whirl next week. Elbows, I'm with you..the stress of anticipating encountering someone who may chide me for using the route may actually persuade me to stick with the pike. But I'm gonna give it the ol college try. Fall weather beckons that I do this.
    So, how did it go? I moved to Nauck last spring and have been doing the Glebe to Army Navy route to get to pentagon city since then. But I really dislike glebe and would love another option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kingman762 View Post
    I moved to Nauck last spring and have been doing the Glebe to Army Navy route to get to pentagon city since then. But I really dislike glebe and would love another option.
    If you're actually riding on Glebe, I can understand why you dislike it! Not a great situation, especially during rush hour.

You could take the W&OD trail until you pass under I-395, then cross over into the neighborhood either where W Glebe meets S Glebe (take the "exit" to Four Mile Run Dr and follow the sidewalk to the traffic light), or at Meade (by the Giant). Both are safe crossings with traffic lights, crosswalks and pedestrian signals. From there it's quiet streets to Army Navy Dr.

Of course, going home you'd have to climb from the W&OD up into Nauck. (Hills make you stronger!)

Post Thanks / Like

Tried to cut through today, and there was a guard posted at the west entrance limiting access to members. Might be only on warm weekends. What a silly situation.