WWPD Advocacy Award Program (What Would Pete Do?)

Our Community Forums General Discussion WWPD Advocacy Award Program (What Would Pete Do?)

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    dasgeh
    Participant

I re-nominate Arlingtonrider for being a joyful presence, even on days when she has to get to work ;-)

Riley Casey
    Participant

I dunno, the distinction of freezing one’s ass off should be it’s own reward ( from a guy who only commutes three miles :p ).

@acc 70923 wrote:

At the end of the Frozen Saddles season, several winners of particular distinction will be recognized for their outstanding contributions to the WWPD program.

Terpfan
    Participant

The other night an older woman pulled a crazy ivan at the spot where the MVT turns abruptly at Wilson Bridge. I just missed hitting her and she apologized. I channeled my inner-Pete and replied, “No worries, we’re all human.” If only I could keep that spirit going all day long haha.

Dickie
    Participant

@mstone 70939 wrote:

Could be an English dessert

Hey now, I grew up on those :)

consularrider
    Participant

@Dickie 71034 wrote:

Hey now, I grew up on those :)

But are you spotted, I certainly haven’t seen you for a while. ;)

vvill
    Participant

I’m sure there’s others but I’m just nominating who I know and people who are active on the forum:

Welcoming:

• arlingtonrider – for helping to facilitate, coordinate and organize happy hours, coffee clubs, etc. and volunteering at many events
    • acc – for volunteering and demonstrating that just showing up and participating (or heck, just dressing up) is a great way to get involved and have fun
    • TK – does a good job of moderating the forum, which was a starting point for many (including myself), and also posting interesting + relevant content. also, he usually lets you catch up every time he drops you on a ride (as long as it’s not part of a new Strava segment attempt).

Education:

• eminva – certified instructor! and all round helpful and courteous trail user, and volunteer. Could also be nominated in the “advocacy” or “welcoming” categories.
    • dasgeh – for running Kidical Mass and helping the area’s cargo/family bikers

Advocacy:

• Mark Blacknell + Megabeth – WABA, WABA’s Women & Bicycles program, ABAC, HP100, etc. Could also be nominated in the “welcoming” or “education” category – great to ride with and very knowledgeable.
    • rcannon100 – for his support of Phoenix Bikes; Freezing Saddles (and Kill Bill!)

Positivity:

• dbb – for his willingness and commitment in civil engagement with the NPS on issues that affect many of us, even if it may require respectful disagreement. Also ABAC, etc. Could also be nominated in the “advocacy” category.

Is it bad that positivity is the hardest category to nominate for… ? Dirt himself was the only obvious nominee that first came to mind.

Also, would “Peteys” be a better spelling than “Peties”? Both look a bit odd I suppose.

Dirt
    Participant

Thank you all for your nominations!!! Gives us a lot to sort through and consider! Keep ’em coming! :D

Greenbelt
    Participant

@dasgeh 70948 wrote:

Thanks, Liz.

I nominate Rod Smith, who is out there every day (except in November and December apparently), showing the DC-area that you can move things by bike. And he’s an extremely nice guy.

I’d like to 2nd this nomination. Rod is amazing — always shows up and helps out, rides with the slower riders to make them feel good. Fixes stuff. Now he’s got me mountain biking of all crazy things…

KLizotte
    Participant

+1

hozn
    Participant

What vvill said!

It is remarkable to have so many people here going out of their way to help, educate, build community, etc.

acc
    Participant

Speaking of Hozn, I was asked to nominate you by someone who wishes to remain anonymous but has an active account here on the forum. He said,

“Every time I interact with Hozn, which is fairly regularly [he represents the goals of WWPD]. His positivity is certainly evident in his forum posts where he always stays calm and is appreciative of other’s points of view. He was also very welcoming and supportive of me when I started riding about a year ago. He’s also offered great tips on gear, bike fit, and repair. He’s also volunteered his time to support cycling by creating the back-end for freezing saddles.”

Well done.

dasgeh
    Participant

I also want to nominate rcannon, hozn and Greenbelt. I’ve been trying to come up with cutsie nomination speeches for those three, but I failed. They’re all nice guys who do a lot to make cycling look good in the DC area.

And rcannon is SOOOOOO ELITE. :-)

KelOnWheels
    Participant

I would like to nominate:

eminva – instructor, inspiration, Scout herder and cycling adventurer!
    MegaBeth – HP100 instigator, a Woman with a Bicycle!
    ArlingtonRider – the queen of Hains Point and always-gracious happy hour hostess! (I don’t believe her about not being gracious one time. I see her at work. In work clothes. She is ALWAYS nice. Then she goes and volunteers for ALL THE THINGS.)
    acc – for bringing fabulous glamour and an awesome sense of fun and participation to so many events!
    dasgeh – family biking role model extraordinaire!
    dbb – our link to the NPS!
    Tim Kelley – He is very tall, and also does things like make the forum go which seems like a lot of work!
    Mr. Blacknell – WABA! Also he remembers everyone’s name and says hello on rides and always has extremely good hair even post-helmet.
    rcannon100 – He freezes our saddles and supports many good things like Phoenix Bikes and dogs!

Who am I forgetting? I know I am forgetting people. I will add them when I remember! I kinda want to nominate all of you, because you deserve it. :)

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.