while we’re talking tires…good compromise between gravel and slick?

Our Community Forums Bikes & Equipment while we’re talking tires…good compromise between gravel and slick?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 203 total)
  • Author
    TwoWheelsDC
    Participant

@dplasters 129389 wrote:

I’ve not ridden them, but the Grand Prix 4 Season are supposed to be the GP and the Gatorskin love-child no?

http://www.continental-tires.com/bicycle/tyres/race-tyres/grand-prix-4-season

I had GP4Ss for a while, they didn’t last long (partly due to doing wikid skidz on my fixay), but I can’t really tell a difference in ride between them and Gatorskins. Given how durable/reliable G-skins have been for me, I don’t plan to ever ride anything else.

Arlingtonrider
    Participant

My last pair of Gatorskins were great too. No flats and no slippage, and they lasted over 7000 miles. I probably should have kept them longer. I just replaced them a couple of weeks ago. No issues yet, although I now have my fingers crossed.

Raymo853
    Participant

After getting a my third classic pinch flat on my Bonti AW2 Hard Case Lite 28C on Stan’s Grails, I am buying a new tire today. Want: wider (30-32), tubeless, tough, and low rolling resistance. Thinking either hozn’s Schwable S-One, Hutchinson Secteur or Specialized Roubaix Pro 2BR .

BTC_DC
    Participant

Thanks. Perhaps it is all in my head. But just the feel of Gatorskins to the touch gives a sense of limited grip. Maybe it was apprehension due to recent close calls on wet leaves impacting a confident and fluid riding style. Especially on downhill stretches on pot-holed roads with cars following too close behind. But I think I may experiment with a few of these other options on my next set of tires.

Raymo853
    Participant

I ended up ordering one of the Specialized Roubaix Pro 2BR last night. At just $40, it was nearly half the price of a Sectour or Schwalble One.

I may not like the company, but only have good memories of the last pair of their road tires. The pair had the similar mixed width: 25 tread & 28 casting. Those tires were huge, bigger than other randonneurs’ 30’s and 32’s. They cornered great, were tough and lasted a long time. Actually I think one is still being used by a buddy on a back up bike.

If it turns out to be ok, I expect to order another and then a set of 38c Triggers for my gravel bike.

hozn
    Participant

@BTC_DC 129381 wrote:

a) best grip while maintaining decent (i.e., above average, but does not need to be superhuman) puncture proofing?

b) significantly better grip than (a), but will not pop due to simply riding over a pebble

My current opinion is that Schwalbe One (esp. tubeless) have fantastic grip, roll almost as fast as GP4000S, and seem like they might have less QC variability than the Contis (which are great tires, but then every once in awhile you get one that blows out the sidewall a few miles in).

For extra durability the Schwalbe Duranos are hard to beat. I have ridden Duranos in the winter ever since reading bike radar’s winter tire roundup; accoring to BR they roll faster than Conti 4 Seasons (and they last much longer than Conti 4 seasons) and have excellent grip in the wet.

My original plan was to just run Schwalbe One tubeless this winter since they’re so nice to ride, but in changing out my punctured tire I realized that I need to retape my rims and I have 3 practically new 28mm Durano tires that I should use.

Riding the Duranos is definitely economy class after riding the One tubeless, but they’re really not bad tires. I’d definitely choose Duranos over Gatorskins.

hozn
    Participant

@Raymo853 129488 wrote:

I ended up ordering one of the Specialized Roubaix Pro 2BR last night. At just $40, it was nearly half the price of a Sectour or Schwalble One.

I haven’t paid more than $55 for Schwalbe One tubeless tires yet. But $40 is cheaper! — I’ll consider trying those next winter. I *love* Specialized ‘cross (Trigger) and MTB tires; my only experience with road was their Armadillo Elite tires which are horrible to ride but I suspect are durable/long-lasting.

Crickey7
    Participant

Good timing on this thread, since I’ve now racked up 7 flats in 2 weeks, and my Conti GP4000s now have a gash in the rear. Debating whether to give them another shot, since they were hard to take on and off, and only lasted about 2k.

vvill
    Participant

@hozn 129494 wrote:

For extra durability the Schwalbe Duranos are hard to beat. I have ridden Duranos in the winter ever since reading bike radar’s winter tire roundup; accoring to BR they roll faster than Conti 4 Seasons (and they last much longer than Conti 4 seasons) and have excellent grip in the wet.

I went to a 25mm Durano from a Gatorskin not too long after you (front wheel only, I have too many tires I need to use up, and I don’t need grip on my back tire as much). Still like it a lot, although I have switched to a wider hi-vis reflective sidewall front tire for now. Once winter is done I’ll go back to the Durano.

I don’t have a need for really speedy tires since I don’t road race, although I would try tubeless if I had the rims, and regular enough usage to justify set-up and sealant. (I don’t use tubeless on my MTB because I ride it so rarely.)

dplasters
    Participant

The number of flat tires everyone else gets makes me feel like the luckiest SoB in the world. I’m riding plain jane came with the bike GPs right now. Have about 800 miles on them, no flats.

Before that I had about 5,000 miles on my old bike, no flats – which will be up for sale shortly if anyone wants in on my good luck.

I did finally have to take the tires off though. After all the rain a week or so ago I cleaned my bike and somehow ended up with water in the rims/tires. That was annoying.

consularrider
    Participant

@dplasters 129508 wrote:

The number of flat tires everyone else gets makes me feel like the luckiest SoB in the world. I’m riding plain jane came with the bike GPs right now. Have about 800 miles on them, no flats.

Before that I had about 5,000 miles on my old bike, no flats – which will be up for sale shortly if anyone wants in on my good luck.

I did finally have to take the tires off though. After all the rain a week or so ago I cleaned my bike and somehow ended up with water in the rims/tires. That was annoying.

Ok now you’ve let the genie out of the bottle and the jinx is upon you.

Crickey7
    Participant

The universe is merely balancing itself. I will change my tires (or tyres) and then will go a year without a flat. You have now tempted Fate, and will accordingly suffer a flat on the first snowy evening ride.

dplasters
    Participant

I actually posted about my not having a flat several months ago. I posted about my experience with ThickSlick Urban Elites. I mostly chalk it up to nearly 100% take the lane riding in the Fairfax area. I really can’t think of any major “oh my god thank goodness I had these tires otherwise flat for sure!”

I’ve seen glass like twice on my daily commute over about 18 months of doing it now? The cars keep most of the crap out of the road. Drunk pedestrians are probably the cause of most flats. Total conjecture on my part.

It may also help I’m at 100+ psi and weigh a hefty 145-150lbs.

bluerider
    Participant

Can’t say enough good things about the Clement USH. I am on my 2nd set of these 700 x 35 tires on my Vaya. Rode the GAP/C&O with 50 lbs. on them. Commute every day. Had a few flats but overall very reliable. The center section makes the tire fast on pavement while the side knobs do good work on gravel. Can’t be recommended enough.

Also, I have switched to the Jack Brown Blue Labels on my cross bike for the moment. Love those as a multi-surface tires as well. This version is lined in kevlar so they are not particularly light but not terrible. They ride nicely and are damn near bulletproof.

Raymo853
    Participant

First ride this morning to work on the 30/32 Specialized Roubaix Pro 2BR. I am finding it tough to not buy another and replace the Bonti on the front. I love it. Rolled fast, cornered great, holding air well without a tube, had a good smooth feeling ride, and shrugged off one hard pothole edge slam.

It seated up with only a little difficulty on my Stan’s Grails. Like most Specialized tires, it is huge. It has about 0.5 cm clearance to the chain-stays on my Salsa Colossal.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]10253[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10254[/ATTACH]

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 203 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.