What kind of bike do I want: commuting all the time edition

Our Community Forums Bikes & Equipment What kind of bike do I want: commuting all the time edition

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 142 total)
  • Author
    dcv
    Participant

@dasgeh 74038 wrote:

NO FIXIES

:(

dasgeh
    Participant

@dcv 74065 wrote:

:(

Sorry. If I were a stronger rider, maybe

jopamora
    Participant

I know you said steel, but what about titanium? Bikes Direct has this drool worthy bike.

sethpo
    Participant

@jopamora 74077 wrote:

I know you said steel, but what about titanium? Bikes Direct has this drool worthy bike.

Very sharp. I’ve had my eye on this one as well.

I read somewhere that a pretty bike goes faster. I believe it.

bluerider
    Participant

Salsa Vaya. Done & Done.

culimerc
    Participant

Definitely look at the Salsa Vaya, some of the nicest things about the vaya are the sloping top tube, the incredibly wide tire clearance, and the placement of the disc brakes. And this doesnt even begin to cover the ride. I mention the brake placement because the traditional seat stay placement means you have to get creative with the rack and fender installations.

The Surly LHT and the Cross Check are also both great options. There’s a reason you see alot of them.

The Jamis Coda may not have the tire clearance your looking for. My wife has one and whenever I put 32mm cross tires, I have to inflate them after they are in place, the inflated tires wont make it though the brake pads.

The Jamis Bassonova may warrant a quick look.

Cyndi says good things about her Volagi, and that was on my short list if I couldnt get exactly what I wanted; the Van Dessel WTF

A word on disc brakes; the Avid BB5’s arent worth the time of day. The Avid BB7’s however work very well and are easy to service.

Phatboing
    Participant

Another option, if things aren’t muddled up already: An On-one Pompino, built up with an IGH.

I have mine set up with a 5-speed IGH and v-brakes, and I’m currently enjoying it as an everyday doer of everything.

vvill
    Participant

I’m going to weigh in again because I spend a lot of time thinking about my ideal commuter (amongst other bikes), and because I love n+1 threads.

On disc brakes:
    If you’ve experienced the problems with rim brakes in wet weather and would prefer something better, then I’d get them. Some people aren’t too bothered by wet weather rim braking. I’ve crashed once (not badly) and felt unsafe more than once (would’ve been bad if I’d crashed) in those situations, so I definitely prefer disc brakes overall.

They will make a bike a little heavier and a little more expensive overall, and since you need to have the right frame/fork/wheels to use disc brakes it’s definitely a decision to make upfront. I wouldn’t bother with hydraulics (mostly for maintenance requirements), mechanical (BB7s) are fine and dropbar bikes don’t have great hydraulic options anyway. If you are going with dropbars, disc brakes will probably feel a little grabbier than rim brakes which may take some time to get used to (I’ve accidentally locked up my rear wheel descending a road on my CX bike). If you’re not going with dropbars then I would definitely go with disc brakes, as they won’t be much more expensive, and the lever feel will be about the same as a rim brake.

I wouldn’t say disc brake wheels are harder to swap out, especially since the brake calipers are independent of rim size, but wheels built for rim brakes won’t be usable with disc brakes. The only other caveat is that disc brakes are often noisy (squeeeeal) in the wet (which doesn’t bother most people).

If it were me and it was between Surly and All-City I’d go with a Macho Man Disc (orange!) or a Straggler. I’m not sure the Macho Man has rack mounts though.

vvill
    Participant

If you’re open to IGH options and not married to drop bars or steel, then you could also consider something like this:
    http://spotbrand.com/bikes/product-page/ajax/

Belt drive, IGH, disc brakes… mmmm. There’s also the Acme which is a slightly higher end version of the same bike.

Dirt
    Participant
    dasgeh
    Participant

@vvill 74099 wrote:

If you’re open to IGH options and not married to drop bars or steel, then you could also consider something like this:
    http://spotbrand.com/bikes/product-page/ajax/

Belt drive, IGH, disc brakes… mmmm. There’s also the Acme which is a slightly higher end version of the same bike.

LOL. Those are the bikes that started me thinking down this path, as the Clymb has the Ajax on sale.

Riley Casey
    Participant

I’ve commuted on a Jamis Coda for ten years now. Bought it as an actual cross bike for recreational use and morphed it over the years into a commuter. Flat bars for maximum control with a heads up ride for car watching, aluminum frame works well in the city over pot holes and curbs, light enough to offset all the crap I’ve added, fenders, panniers, lights galore. Still rides more like a steel bike than the Cannondales that preceded it. I’ve gone down on it more than a few times, taken it on trails trying to keep up with my grandson’s new found love of mtb biking, it keeps on keeping on. Longest ride I’ve taken it on ( before changing the tires out ) was 60 miles RT to Mt Vernon from DC and it was not a bad ride. Never been a fan of drop bars for any riding that involves genuine traffic. Fine for country roads, not so much for city streets.

Running on Michellin City Tires which have been great but I gather from other posts that the quality has gone down recently.

dasgeh
    Participant

@Riley Casey 74113 wrote:

I’ve commuted on a Jamis Coda for ten years now. Bought it as an actual cross bike for recreational use and morphed it over the years into a commuter. Flat bars for maximum control with a heads up ride for car watching, aluminum frame works well in the city over pot holes and curbs, light enough to offset all the crap I’ve added, fenders, panniers, lights galore. Still rides more like a steel bike than the Cannondales that preceded it. I’ve gone down on it more than a few times, taken it on trails trying to keep up with my grandson’s new found love of mtb biking, it keeps on keeping on. Longest ride I’ve taken it on ( before changing the tires out ) was 60 miles RT to Mt Vernon from DC and it was not a bad ride. Never been a fan of drop bars for any riding that involves genuine traffic. Fine for country roads, not so much for city streets.

Running on Michellin City Tires which have been great but I gather from other posts that the quality has gone down recently.

Thanks! How wide are your tires?

dasgeh
    Participant

I came over to say that if I could really have my way, I’d get a sloping downtube (making it easier to ride in a skirt or just to get my leg over when I’m lazy).

mstone
    Participant

@dasgeh 74116 wrote:

I came over to say that if I could really have my way, I’d get a sloping downtube (making it easier to ride in a skirt or just to get my leg over when I’m lazy).

That sounds more like a mixte frame than a sloping top tube.

To clarify:

sloping top tube — http://archive.raleighusa.com/archive/2013-steel-road/clubman-13/
    mixte — http://archive.raleighusa.com/archive/2013-steel-road/clubman-mixte-13/

(The second one was nice and fairly unique, so of course raleigh killed it this year)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 142 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.