Trail Conditions — January 2014

Our Community Forums Road and Trail Conditions Trail Conditions — January 2014

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 247 total)
  • Author
    dasgeh
    Participant

@DaveK 73388 wrote:

Roads are fine, the only time I was off them was on the 110 connector trail by Arlington Cemetery. It’s rideable right now, crunchy with about 1/2″ of powder but good traction. It will not be rideable tomorrow.

Roads in DC were SO MUCH BETTER than roads in Arlington this morning, even with my late commute. The trail by the reflecting pool was even clear. The trail along the Memorial Bridge was the worst part of my whole commute — very icy, and DaveK’s tire ruts made me slip all over the place ;-)

I did manage to be very hot for the entire ride, which is a WIN in my book.

sjclaeys
    Participant

FYI, the Weather Channel deemed this storm to be Winter Storm Hercules. My bet is that the next will be Winter Storm Isis.

TwoWheelsDC
    Participant

The Penn cycletrack is pretty bad, but my CaBi seemed to handle it ok.

3yqeduma.jpg

ShawnoftheDread
    Participant

@dasgeh 73428 wrote:

Now now, let’s not brag too much.

ShawnoftheDread
    Participant

@sjclaeys 73433 wrote:

FYI, the Weather Channel deemed this storm to be Winter Storm Hercules. My bet is that the next will be Winter Storm Isis.

If we all ignore this naming winter storms nonsense eventually they’ll stop.

jrenaut
    Participant

@TwoWheelsDC 73434 wrote:

The Penn cycletrack is pretty bad, but my CaBi seemed to handle it ok.

It was nice to see where all the illegal u-turns had been made.

consularrider
    Participant

My ride home via the MVT and 4MRT/W&OD is done. Big word of caution for anyone using the GW Parkway overpass from Rosslyn to the Roosevelt Island parking lot, the lowest 20 – 30 feet is a sheet of ice! The MVT actually has many clear stretches in the sun, the downside to that is the transition is ice. Also the section of the 4MRT behind the water treatment plant that usually has puddles after a rain has smooth ice. It seemed like someone who rode home last night must have been having trouble since the tire track weaves all over the trail and is a frozen icy rut that tries to grab your tires! The wooded bridges (TR Trollheim and the W&OD from Glencarlyn to Bon Air Parks) have the most snow left on them and it shifts under your tires, so take it slow.

americancyclo
    Participant

any reports from the Custis/W&OD? I was thinking surface streets, but Hans had a few pics of the W&OD being plowed

DaveK
    Participant

@dasgeh 73428 wrote:

Roads in DC were SO MUCH BETTER than roads in Arlington this morning, even with my late commute. The trail by the reflecting pool was even clear. The trail along the Memorial Bridge was the worst part of my whole commute — very icy, and DaveK’s tire ruts made me slip all over the place ;-)

I didn’t ride on the Memorial Bridge sidewalk this morning, I took the lane on the bridge since I had to come from Constitution Ave after bailing off the Washington Monument paths. Actually it wasn’t bad at all.

sjclaeys
    Participant

@ShawnoftheDread 73438 wrote:

If we all ignore this naming winter storms nonsense eventually they’ll stop.

Agreed, but it was great when they named the storm last year Khan, resulting in great references to the memorable Star Trek character.

ShawnoftheDread
    Participant

@sjclaeys 73463 wrote:

Agreed, but it was great when they named the storm last year Khan, resulting in great references to the memorable Star Trek character.

You’re feeding the beast.

KayakCyndi
    Participant

@americancyclo 73459 wrote:

any reports from the Custis/W&OD? I was thinking surface streets, but Hans had a few pics of the W&OD being plowed

I left the office with fear in my heart and headed across the Key Bridge. It wasn’t too cold and the wind had died down. I decided that I’d risk riding up the Custis, ruts and all. I had studs after all.

When I started up the trail it was clear. Not clear as in the snow melted but clear as in plowed! Yep, all the way from Rosslyn to the east falls church metro Arlington County cleared the MUPs. Who do we thank?

There was still a little ice and snow hear and there but nothing super scary, no frozen ruts and no frozen foot tracks. It was amazing.

KayakCyndi
    Participant

Here are the pics:

u9atezyr.jpg

a8a4a4aj.jpg

And an uncleared portion:

bunabyze.jpg

sjclaeys
    Participant

My outerwear for this morning, including Bike Arlington scarf.[ATTACH=CONFIG]4403[/ATTACH]

jrenaut
    Participant

Are there any local trails that would be passable tomorrow morning on 23mm road tires? My wife has gone to Michigan to retrieve our children, so I have ABSOLUTELY NO RESPONSIBILITIES until I pick them up around 3pm tomorrow from BWI. I need to go ride somewhere.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 247 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.