"to your left" enough audible signal when passing?

Our Community Forums General Discussion "to your left" enough audible signal when passing?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    trailrunner
    Participant

It’s amazing to me that people can get so worked up so quickly over trivial things, but I guess some people have that side to their personality. During one ride, I found out that one of my riding friends has this personality when he completely overreacted over someone with a dog on a path that was just slightly out of control; I didn’t think anything of it and was going to keep riding, but he made it a point to stop and scream at the person. It sounds like you came across one of these dudes. I used to ride on the W&OD and MVT once or twice a week, and never used a bell (although most of my riding was at off-peak times). I would call out my passes, and don’t remember having too many problems, even with people running with headphones. When in doubt, I’d slow down and be careful. I learned early on to back off on the speed because they are multi use trails for everyone, and not my personal training track. Fortunately, I never came across anybody as aggressive as the guy you encountered.

Supermau
    Participant

@trailrunner 116619 wrote:

…When in doubt, I’d slow down and be careful. I learned early on to back off on the speed because they are multi use trails for everyone, and not my personal training track. Fortunately, I never came across anybody as aggressive as the guy you encountered.

Hear, hear. I ride a lot on off peak hours too and I’ll gas it when I can and if I feel like it but a mans got to know his limitations.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8692[/ATTACH]

It took a rookie/dangerous pass by ME in the beginning to learn that. No harm in slowing down. Sadly, to a lot of folks the MVT is their personal training track.

wolfish
    Participant

no offense to those who are bipolar or have bipolar friends, btw. All in all it seems to me that, there are plenty of entitled people around riding the trails w/o any type of control over their own emotions and definitely with reactions that are simply exaggerated.

mattotoole
    Participant

A bell followed by a calmly-voiced alert is a lot friendlier than just barking at people, which too many cyclists seem to do. We get upset by how motorists treat us, then do the same to people walking on trails!

rcannon100
    Participant

Call your passes early. It works remarkably well and is said to also remove stains from your shirts.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.