Team 18’s Merry Band of Idiots

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Team 18’s Merry Band of Idiots

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    SarahBee
    Participant

@Judd 152673 wrote:

I am interested in infiltrating a Monday ride, for Mother Russia and Team 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

History ride to Manassas Battlefield & back?

kwarkentien
    Participant

@SarahBee 152675 wrote:

History ride to Manassas Battlefield & back?

Wish I could but sadly, I have to work. Go Team Go!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AlanA
    Participant

@SarahBee 152672 wrote:

Team 18’ers who have Monday off- anyone interested in a group ride originating in Virginia?

Sadly, I will be stuck at the office for a good part of the day. But maybe Presidents Day. And we can even have fun discussions about our new President while we ride.

Dirt
    Participant

I’ve got 90 minutes to get a ride in before work on Monday. Sorry!

There is a Friday ride though: https://www.facebook.com/events/1837837979763034/

SarahBee
    Participant

@Dirt 152739 wrote:

I’ve got 90 minutes to get a ride in before work on Monday. Sorry!

There is a Friday ride though: https://www.facebook.com/events/1837837979763034/

Pete, thanks for posting the Friday ride. If I can get my shit together; I’d love to do it.

Dirt
    Participant

@SarahBee 152750 wrote:

Pete, thanks for posting the Friday ride. If I can get my shit together; I’d love to do it.

I lead 3 rides per week from Bikenetic. Tuesday mornings early, Fridays (all day) and Sunday mornings. I usually try to post up the rides by Sunday night. Sometimes I don’t make that goal. Tuesday is hills. Friday is usually a gravel ride in Loudoun County and Sunday is a coffee ride in DC.

Ping me for more info. I usually organize rides through Facebook.

kwarkentien
    Participant

Ok team, we’re still missing people and Maureen isn’t showing up on the FS leaderboard even after I’ve authorized her onto the team. Here’s the list by Forum names:

AlanA
    DaveK
    Dirt
    kwarkentien
    limeyb
    lkluger
    MaureenBoyle
    Maxmans Dad
    Rob22315
    Sarah Bee
    slowtriguy

Here’s the list by Strava names:

Karen Warkentien
    Pete Beers
    Sarah Bee
    Alan Adams
    Dave K
    Greg Anderson
    Louis Kluger
    Maureen Boyle
    S W

I can match up most folks but I don’t know what Forum names go with Greg and S W. Hence, I don’t know who’s missing so I can try to follow up with them or get replacements. So Greg and SW, let me know who you are on this thread or by PM.

Maureen, I think you’re not showing up because you haven’t authorized the app. Please go to FreezingSaddles.com, log in, and authorize the app to share info with BAFS. Hopefully that will work.

Keep up the good work!!!

Here’s the link to join: https://www.strava.com/clubs/251137

Dirt
    Participant

There is a new post in the team assignment thread that will help get everyone signed up. I think we’re down to one missing team member.

Thanks y’all for getting the sign up process done! It has moved us up the ranks a bit.

AlanA
    Participant

@Dirt 152937 wrote:

There is a new post in the team assignment thread that will help get everyone signed up. I think we’re down to one missing team member.

Thanks y’all for getting the sign up process done! It has moved us up the ranks a bit.

I was happy to see us get ten members. Now hopefully we’ll get our planned 11th person (or even better, get some mileage junkie!!)

And speaking of mileage junkies, I do apologize for not holding my own in shitty weather. I made sure I let them know in advance that I don’t do wet weather. Sorry gang. Not even a sleaze mile in this mess from me.

SarahBee
    Participant

@AlanA 153021 wrote:

I was happy to see us get ten members. Now hopefully we’ll get our planned 11th person (or even better, get some mileage junkie!!)

And speaking of mileage junkies, I do apologize for not holding my own in shitty weather. I made sure I let them know in advance that I don’t do wet weather. Sorry gang. Not even a sleaze mile in this mess from me.

Alan, we’ll make a sleaze convert out of you yet; if I can sleaze with a raging case of the thunder from down under, I’m confident you won’t be deterred by a little drizzle…

Steve O
    Participant

@SarahBee 153025 wrote:

… if I can sleaze with a raging case of the thunder from down under, I’m confident you won’t be deterred by a little drizzle…

I think that’s a really bad idea. You could just get sicker and sicker and sicker. No, no, no. Rest. Go easy.
    And Alan – you are correct to keep yourself dry. You know the old saying, “doesn’t have enough sense to come in from the rain”? Well, you seem to be a very sensible person.

BobCochran
    Participant

Greetings!

I think I’m your newest team member, per Casey. My name is Bob Cochran. I’m an older guy. Maybe even an old guy. I live in Greenbelt. I’m not sure if I’ve met any of you — perhaps on a Proteus Bicycles “Coffee Ride”? Or the “New Year’s Resolution Ride”?

I believe Sarah Bee might be the closest person to me. I understand she works in construction. That gives us something in common: my stepfather and uncle are both skilled carpenters so I know a tiny amount about carpentry, if not construction. Does this mean I’m a skilled carpenter? Not at all. I daydream some times about doing woodworking projects, but I lack the “eye” you need to be good with woodworking. I do know good joinery when I see it.

As a bicyclist, I’m still a child. But I’ll work hard to put in some miles for the greater glory of Team 18.

I clicked the link that Casey gave me, to join this group on Strava. It’s too bad that the Strava web page gives zero feedback in return for my clicking action, except for a “Cancel Join” button. These web pages really need to tell the user what the next step(s) are. Even something as simple as “Thank you for joining the group. You need to wait for approval from _____.” That would tell the user he or she did something right.

I thought I needed to authorize my Strava account to disclose my ride activity — so immediately after doing the above, I visited freezingsaddles.com and attempted to login, again with my Strava credentials. My reward was this:

Hi, Robert.

So you are a Strava athlete, we get that. Unfortunately you are not registered with any of the configured Freezing Saddles teams, so we can’t authenticate you.

That sort of message needs a little more work too.

Thanks a ton

Bob

kwarkentien
    Participant

@BobCochran 153141 wrote:

Greetings!

I think I’m your newest team member, per Casey. My name is Bob Cochran. I’m an older guy. Maybe even an old guy. I live in Greenbelt. I’m not sure if I’ve met any of you — perhaps on a Proteus Bicycles “Coffee Ride”? Or the “New Year’s Resolution Ride”?

I believe Sarah Bee might be the closest person to me. I understand she works in construction. That gives us something in common: my stepfather and uncle are both skilled carpenters so I know a tiny amount about carpentry, if not construction. Does this mean I’m a skilled carpenter? Not at all. I daydream some times about doing woodworking projects, but I lack the “eye” you need to be good with woodworking. I do know good joinery when I see it.

As a bicyclist, I’m still a child. But I’ll work hard to put in some miles for the greater glory of Team 18.

I clicked the link that Casey gave me, to join this group on Strava. It’s too bad that the Strava web page gives zero feedback in return for my clicking action, except for a “Cancel Join” button. These web pages really need to tell the user what the next step(s) are. Even something as simple as “Thank you for joining the group. You need to wait for approval from _____.” That would tell the user he or she did something right.

I thought I needed to authorize my Strava account to disclose my ride activity — so immediately after doing the above, I visited freezingsaddles.com and attempted to login, again with my Strava credentials. My reward was this:

That sort of message needs a little more work too.

Thanks a ton

Bob

Hi Bob,
    I’m the Team Captain and Authenticator for Team 18 on Freezing Saddles. I will approve you and then you can authorize the app and everything should work. Welcome to the team.

Dirt
    Participant

@AlanA 153021 wrote:

I do apologize for not holding my own in shitty weather. I made sure I let them know in advance that I don’t do wet weather. Sorry gang. Not even a sleaze mile in this mess from me.

Freezing saddles loses a lot of its fun if you’re just miserable out there riding. That said, I’ve always used Freezing Saddles to help inspire me to ride a little deeper than I would otherwise under whatever the conditions are. Sometimes that’s doing a 2 mile ride instead of a 1.1 mile ride. Finding the right combination of clothes and equipment given your current budget and situation is a part of that.

If you’re not having fun with Freezing Saddles, then try and change things up so that you are. :D

Rock on, team! Thanks y’all for being awesome. We’re doing great!
    Dirt

kwarkentien
    Participant

All,
    Please see my post on Unholy Alliances for a ride tomorrow from Port City Brewing Company. Nice 10ish mile ride in Eisenhower Valley area with a fair share on Holmes Run Trail. Meet at Port City by 10:45 (Wheeler Avenue, Alexandria). Hope to see you there.

Chief Idiot

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.