September 2017 Road & Trail Conditions

Our Community Forums Road and Trail Conditions September 2017 Road & Trail Conditions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Henry
    Keymaster

Cloudy and cool, but on a Friday before Labor Day, all bike corridors remain wide open as far a I know. Bike on!

Erin Potter
    Participant

Another trail disruption report from my inbox:

“Four Mile Run Trail to be Impacted by I-395 Rehabilitation Project

Rehabilitation work on the Shirley Highway (I-395) bridge over Four Mile Run is planned to begin this week. The bridge work will require a temporary narrowing of the Four Mile Run pedestrian and bicycle trail where it passes beneath the Shirley Highway bridge.
    Crews contracted to the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will begin to set-up work platforms above the trail sometime in the week of September 4th. The work will require a narrowing of the trail for a three to four-month period. Full closure of the trail will be limited to a few selected times and only during night-time hours. Directional detour signs will be provided for trail users in those periods when the trail is closed.”

TwoWheelsDC
    Participant

@Erin Potter 164973 wrote:

Rehabilitation work on the Shirley Highway (I-395) bridge over Four Mile Run is planned to begin this week. The bridge work will require a temporary narrowing of the Four Mile Run pedestrian and bicycle trail where it passes beneath the Shirley Highway bridge.
    Crews contracted to the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) will begin to set-up work platforms above the trail sometime in the week of September 4th. The work will require a narrowing of the trail for a three to four-month period. Full closure of the trail will be limited to a few selected times and only during night-time hours. Directional detour signs will be provided for trail users in those periods when the trail is closed.”

Good that they’re keeping it open, but that is pretty much the worst possible spot to do extensive construction work, since there are no good detour options. Going south to the Shirlington ped overpass is at least feasible, but JFC what a pain. Let’s just hope the “narrowing” doesn’t dramatically affect usability.

Judd
    Participant

I think they actually started setting up last weekend. Wasn’t too bad when I went by, but there were a couple of dudes on ladders that didn’t have their work area very well marked off. Please be cautious when biking through during the work and give yourself plenty of time to stop or avoid any equipment.

bobco85
    Participant

Full closure of the trail will be limited to a few selected times and only during night-time hours. Directional detour signs will be provided for trail users in those periods when the trail is closed.”

Looks like folks will need to go old school at those times. I hope the signs lead to the I-395 ped bridge (old Four Mile Run Trail route) and not Shirlington Rd-29th St-Glebe Rd.

bobco85
    Participant

Saw a bit of the setup at the Shirlington underpass. It looks like they’re putting up some kind of netting in case of any falling debris.
    17f1b85dbd3c66828aa3331a2fae8799.jpg
    268865ff4d16c75624f878cca579d344.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drewguy
    Participant

Persimmon Tree Road in Potomac remains closed for bridge repair – between River Road and Glen Rd.

Reopened on or before 9/23

DrP
    Participant

On Monday evening, on 4MRT by the parking lot at Bluemont Park (the smaller part of the lot, along the ball fields), a car entered the trail. I waved my arms yelling “NO! TRAIL!” and he re-entered the lot.
    They repaved the trail and the lot in the past year and there are no markings indicating that the parking lot ends or signs about a trail and no curb. I e-mailed the county suggesting paint/signs and they wrote back to say that it has now been entered as a work order. Keep an eye out for the upgrades. And further incursions.

Erin Potter
    Participant

Just got word from our friends at Arlington Parks and Recreation that there will be a bit more work on the Four Mile Run Trail.
    Details from my inbox:
    “There will be a short term trail closure on the Four Mile Run trial on Friday of this week (9/22) and Monday (9/25). This is for installation of some final project elements, and should be the last closure related to the project. The detour in Alexandria is still available for trail users. We apologize for the inconvenience.”

Be alert this Friday and Monday–detour is still up that takes you on the Alexandria side.

Related to this work: http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showthread.php?11041-Four-Mile-Run-Detour-2016-2017

streetsmarts
    Participant

Route 1 -Patrick St. near (at least North of) King St. Heading North , the right lane is being repaved. Theres about a 2″ drop from the lane to the left. Take care when riding there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Judd
    Participant

15th Street Cyclotrack was blocked this morning. The silver lining is that it was blocked by a tree trimming company so the traffic signals will hopefully be visible to cyclists now. Currently difficult to tell when crossing pedestrians have the signal.

57eef1273b6cead2a252d8c608dfcea5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfel
    Participant

Hello- Let me preface by saying I’m brand spanking new to biking in Arlington. I tried a test run over the weekend to get from my home in Penrose Square/Columbia Pike area to Metro Center in DC. My gps and Bike Arlington trail map led me the way past Pentagon (rather than Rosslyn) and that’s where I ran into trouble as I was not able to enter Washington Blvd. from Southgate Road>Columbia Pike>Rotary Road. The trail appeared to be blocked for construction, so I had to backtrack and ended up taking Arlington Blvd. However, I can’t seem to find any information about the status of Washington Blvd and I’m starting to wonder if what I saw was not actually the Washignton Blvd trail…does anyone here have information to share about the status of this trail and how to access it if it is open? I apologize in advance if I should have posted this in another thread. Thank you!

scoot
    Participant

@jfel 165750 wrote:

Hello- Let me preface by saying I’m brand spanking new to biking in Arlington. I tried a test run over the weekend to get from my home in Penrose Square/Columbia Pike area to Metro Center in DC. My gps and Bike Arlington trail map led me the way past Pentagon (rather than Rosslyn) and that’s where I ran into trouble as I was not able to enter Washington Blvd. from Southgate Road>Columbia Pike>Rotary Road. The trail appeared to be blocked for construction, so I had to backtrack and ended up taking Arlington Blvd. However, I can’t seem to find any information about the status of Washington Blvd and I’m starting to wonder if what I saw was not actually the Washignton Blvd trail…does anyone here have information to share about the status of this trail and how to access it if it is open? I apologize in advance if I should have posted this in another thread. Thank you!

I agree that the access point for the 27 trail is difficult to find, obscured by all the construction. The place where you need to be to get the trail is at the pink star in the photo. There is more construction at the 110 bridge but the temporary trail is reasonably well-designed. But I haven’t been that way in a while so maybe things have changed?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15510[/ATTACH]

DismalScientist
    Participant

Geez, that photo is hard to read.
    Follow Columbia Pike under and through the Washington Blvd intersection. Turn left when you get to the Pentagon South Parking Lot. (Here Columbia Pike looks like (and does) it goes around the south side of the parking lot.)
    The left turn says something like authorized vehicle only. Immediately get on the sidewalk on the right and go into the Pentagon 9/11 memorial (the one that says no bikes). The 27 trail is the asphalt trail to the left about 10 feet into the 9/11 memorial.

Judd
    Participant

@scoot 165751 wrote:

I agree that the access point for the 27 trail is difficult to find, obscured by all the construction. The place where you need to be to get the trail is at the pink star in the photo. There is more construction at the 110 bridge but the temporary trail is reasonably well-designed. But I haven’t been that way in a while so maybe things have changed?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15510[/ATTACH]

There’s still construction going on.

jfel,

I go this way every day on my commute and the trail is difficult to find once you connect to Rotary Road unless you know it’s there. Basically, where the road starts to turn right, you want to hang a left on to the sidewalk like you’re going to the 9/11 Memorial. It feels weird to do, because of the bad pavement there and the feeling like you’re about to salmon into oncoming traffic. (You’re not really, but it feels that way.)

If you’d like, I’d be happy to ride in with you any morning this week or on the weekend if you want to test ride beforehand. I’m in the Penrose area and could meet you there. I’ll probably also try to con you into going coffee club though.

Here’s my ride in this morning if looking at the map helps:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1200912296

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.