Sep 2021 Road and Trail Conditions

Our Community Forums Road and Trail Conditions Sep 2021 Road and Trail Conditions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Henry
    Keymaster

No doubt many trails and roads have mud, branches and other debris on them. Let us know about any egregious spots.

And let’s be careful out there …

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25367[/ATTACH]
    Henry

Judd
    Participant

The root heave at the intersection of the Mount Vernon Trail and Four Mile Run Trail was cut out and patched this morning. The patch is currently coned off to allow it to cure. I’m anticipating being able to pull the cones off tomorrow morning.

A few pictures of the work being performed is on the FoMVT Twitters: https://twitter.com/MtVernonFriends/status/1433856897124380674?s=20

DrP
    Participant

@Judd 211294 wrote:

The root heave at the intersection of the Mount Vernon Trail and Four Mile Run Trail was cut out and patched this morning. The patch is currently coned off to allow it to cure. I’m anticipating being able to pull the cones off tomorrow morning.

A few pictures of the work being performed is on the FoMVT Twitters: https://twitter.com/MtVernonFriends/status/1433856897124380674?s=20

I noticed this Sunday. So nice! Thank you for letting us know.

Judd
    Participant

@DrP 211305 wrote:

I noticed this Sunday. So nice! Thank you for letting us know.

Rode over it a few times this weekend and it’s a pretty good patch. Not quite as flat as I’d like it but we used cold patch and hand tampers so I’m trying to let the perfectionism go. I’ll be out on the trail Thursday at the S-Curve near Daingerfield Island learning how to the concrete planer. Currently anticipating that there will be lots of work on MVT root heaves this fall.

Smitty2k1
    Participant

I do most of my riding at night (thanks to a 13mo that takes two of us full time to manage) and around the Anacostia trails in SE DC. I’ve noticed that TONS of the path lighting is out, especially east of the river. I don’t think it’s a timing thing with the sun setting sooner, as the occasional light here and there is on, but it’s VERY dark. Who can I contact about this?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Judd
    Participant

@Smitty2k1 211421 wrote:

I do most of my riding at night (thanks to a 13mo that takes two of us full time to manage) and around the Anacostia trails in SE DC. I’ve noticed that TONS of the path lighting is out, especially east of the river. I don’t think it’s a timing thing with the sun setting sooner, as the occasional light here and there is on, but it’s VERY dark. Who can I contact about this?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Likely the responsibility of Anacostia Park of the National Park Service. Contact methods are on the very bottom of the page at https://www.nps.gov/anac/planyourvisit/things2do.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrP
    Participant

Unexpected Rock Creek Park trail closure:
    So, first a warning for those who do not travel the trail frequently and second, I am looking forward to having these areas improved.
    Yesterday I was biking through Rock Creek Park and hit a trail closure that wasn’t there a few weeks ago and I had not heard about before. I cannot locate it on the Rock Creek Park web page either. I was heading south through the park.
    Trail is blocked starting at Shoreham Drive at the north end of the exercise trail and the “end construction” sign and full access to the trail is at the P Street entrance. There was one sign pointing up Shoreham about a detour and no other information. Being curious and trying to understand how much was an issue, I went down Shoreham to the parkway. The trail was then “open” and closed and mostly passible, at least while they were not working (it was Sunday) – lots of machines on the trail. I could not tell what was going on close to Shoreham, but the rest appeared to be work on both the trail and the creek – some areas that they have worked on many times over the past decade or so (like between cemetery and Q st) – but definitely areas that have been flooding more and more frequently.

Anyone know the plans for this – what is happening and when it will be done? Anyone travel the detour and what is it like?

consularrider
    Participant

There is still a big sand pit under Carlin Springs Rd on the W&OD. It completely covers the creekside lane (SE bound) and is soft. The similar pit under Wilson Blvd was cleared last Friday

Judd
    Participant

@DrP 211427 wrote:

Unexpected Rock Creek Park trail closure:
    So, first a warning for those who do not travel the trail frequently and second, I am looking forward to having these areas improved.
    Yesterday I was biking through Rock Creek Park and hit a trail closure that wasn’t there a few weeks ago and I had not heard about before. I cannot locate it on the Rock Creek Park web page either. I was heading south through the park.
    Trail is blocked starting at Shoreham Drive at the north end of the exercise trail and the “end construction” sign and full access to the trail is at the P Street entrance. There was one sign pointing up Shoreham about a detour and no other information. Being curious and trying to understand how much was an issue, I went down Shoreham to the parkway. The trail was then “open” and closed and mostly passible, at least while they were not working (it was Sunday) – lots of machines on the trail. I could not tell what was going on close to Shoreham, but the rest appeared to be work on both the trail and the creek – some areas that they have worked on many times over the past decade or so (like between cemetery and Q st) – but definitely areas that have been flooding more and more frequently.

Anyone know the plans for this – what is happening and when it will be done? Anyone travel the detour and what is it like?

DDOT project page has some info along with a detour map. https://rock-creek-trail-dcgis.hub.arcgis.com/pages/project-resources#maps-data

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrP
    Participant

@Judd 211429 wrote:

DDOT project page has some info along with a detour map. https://rock-creek-trail-dcgis.hub.arcgis.com/pages/project-resources#maps-data

Thank you!
    Interesting that ddot has the info but not the park. That detour doesn’t look like fun for 7 months. They would be much better off closing a lane of the parkway for bikes & ped, but I know that is unlikely.

Steve O
    Participant

Traffic Advisory (7 Month Closure between the P Street NW Ramp from Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway and Shoreham Drive NW)

I find it annoying that the map does not have Shoreham Drive identified. I guess they assume everyone will know where that is.

Judd
    Participant

@Steve O 211439 wrote:

I find it annoying that the map does not have Shoreham Drive identified. I guess they assume everyone will know where that is.

I was reluctant to post the link because the map didn’t have Shoreham Drive on it and was uncertain if the map was depicting what DrP was describing. I hardly ever use this trail so my plan would be to try to Google Map around it, cry, try to Google Map around it again, get frustrated and then go somewhere else instead.

DCAKen
    Participant

@DrP 211434 wrote:

Thank you!
    Interesting that ddot has the info but not the park. That detour doesn’t look like fun for 7 months. They would be much better off closing a lane of the parkway for bikes & ped, but I know that is unlikely.

At one of the first public meeting about this closure, someone asked about the possibility of using a traffic lane for ped/bike access instead of the posted detour on 19th Street. The Park Service said no, stating that drivers can’t be expected to adjust to this type of temporary change in their driving patterns.

DrP
    Participant

@DCAKen 211443 wrote:

At one of the first public meeting about this closure, someone asked about the possibility of using a traffic lane for ped/bike access instead of the posted detour on 19th Street. The Park Service said no, stating that drivers can’t be expected to adjust to this type of temporary change in their driving patterns.

???But drivers are asked to do it all the time for all the other detours they do. And they completely closed the road through the park for a similar length of time. Grrr.

Starduster
    Participant

This actually belongs in October. Still…

This is a travel advisory for S. George Mason Drive, *northbound* from Four Mile Run Drive to Columbia Pike. This stretch is known for all the work & food trucks parked along the right (where else are residents of the apartment complexes going to park their work vehicles?). I have ridden this route over decades as a quick way home from the W&OD, well aware of the hazards of closing car traffic side by side, but something ominous is occurring. Many of those work trucks and cars have sustained *recent* damage, ranging from smashed side mirrors to severe sideswipe damage, getting worse with each recent ride.

So, extra vigilance is advised. Be safe out there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.