Riding in the rain

Our Community Forums General Discussion Riding in the rain

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    StopMeansStop
    Participant

I don’t know what it is, but every time I do it I feel like I’m 11 years old again.

CCrew
    Participant

I love it as long as it’s not 35 degrees out. I wear glasses though, that’s a bit of a beast.

baiskeli
    Participant

@StopMeansStop 6803 wrote:

I don’t know what it is, but every time I do it I feel like I’m 11 years old again.

In 2005 I rode the Seagull Century in five inches of rain–they dying throes of a tropical storm. Luckily it was a warm rain. Lots of wind too. It was actually alot of fun. You have to completely give up on the idea of staying dray.

jrenaut
    Participant

Riding in the rain for me would be much nicer if I had managed to install the fenders yet that were given to me by a nice member of the forum.

I remember years of playing soccer in glasses as a kid – I don’t envy you biking in them.

C.OCon
    Participant

It’s the same reason I just had to ride through this huge puddle this morning =)

hencio
    Participant

Fenders help so much. I love riding in the rain during the warm and hot months. Maybe it is the cooler resulting temps that come with the rain, but the effect on my energy is better than coffee.

Greenbelt
    Participant

Riding in the rain does seem just a little naughty, doesn’t it?

Riley Casey
    Participant

Right up to the point where riding in the rain jumps up and bites ya’. I was riding in Lowell MA last week in a light rain along one of the cobblestone lined rail road tracks. I jumped the track with my front wheel as I always do but apparently the cobblestone I landed on beyond the track was just angled enough that when wet it kicked the wheel out sideways and me over the handle bars. I’ve done this sort of thing before but apparently the difference between doing it at 40 or 50 and doing it at 60 is the difference between riding away and going to the ER. Now I have to drive to work, the grocery store, every where I can’t walk for six weeks. 😡

Joe Chapline
    Participant

@Riley Casey 6827 wrote:

Right up to the point where riding in the rain jumps up and bites ya’. I was riding in Lowell MA last week in a light rain along one of the cobblestone lined rail road tracks. I jumped the track with my front wheel as I always do but apparently the cobblestone I landed on beyond the track was just angled enough that when wet it kicked the wheel out sideways and me over the handle bars. I’ve done this sort of thing before but apparently the difference between doing it at 40 or 50 and doing it at 60 is the difference between riding away and going to the ER. Now I have to drive to work, the grocery store, every where I can’t walk for six weeks. 😡

Riley, so sorry you were hurt, get well soon. It took me a minute to figure out you were talking about your age — at first I thought you went over the handlebars at 60 mph.

StopMeansStop
    Participant

Ouch. Heal fast.

Rootchopper
    Participant

Once while touring through Ohio I was caught in a massive thunderstorm. I should have headed for cover but the intense tailwind and the cool rainwater was too good to turn down. I later learned that there was a tornado warning posted. Oops.

One of the coldest days of my life happened on Bike Virginia 1991. The second day was a cold rain that nobody had prepared for. We FROZE! Waits at the porta-potties at the morning rest stop took forever because it was warm and dry in there and nobody wanted to come out! The second stop was at a huge outdoor fireplace with a roaring fire blazing away. Ahhhh.

baiskeli
    Participant

@Rootchopper 6832 wrote:

One of the coldest days of my life happened on Bike Virginia 1991. The second day was a cold rain that nobody had prepared for. We FROZE! Waits at the porta-potties at the morning rest stop took forever because it was warm and dry in there and nobody wanted to come out! The second stop was at a huge outdoor fireplace with a roaring fire blazing away. Ahhhh.

What time of year was that?

DismalScientist
    Participant

I got caught in a hailstorm while touring in Colorado. I can’t say there was any redeeming features of that particular storm. It is really hard to protect your entire body with a helmet.

Participant

I don’t mind riding in the rain, as long as I’m prepared for it. (I keep my helmet cover and light rain jacket stuffed in a pannier, so I’m always ready on my commute.) What I don’t like is dealing with the wet gear at home or the office.

Greenbelt
    Participant

I think I linked to this “instructional video” before probably, so apologies for the redundancy, but still… it was a fun one. The rain really gets going a little after the 1 minute mark.
    [video=vimeo;26239230]http://www.vimeo.com/26239230[/video]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.