Polar Vortex to return next week.

Our Community Forums General Discussion Polar Vortex to return next week.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    vern
    Participant

Calm down, people. The NOAA forecast highs for next Wednesday and Thursday are in the low 80’s…83, with overnight lows 20 degrees cooler. Below normal by about 6 degrees…No big deal for us, but a nice piece of drama by the CWG.

consularrider
    Participant

Is that all? Drat, I was hoping for at least a foot of snow.

VikingMariner
    Participant

@vern 90025 wrote:

Calm down, people. The NOAA forecast highs for next Wednesday and Thursday are in the low 80’s…83, with overnight lows 20 degrees cooler. Below normal by about 6 degrees…No big deal for us, but a nice piece of drama by the CWG.

And monkeys will fly out my ass when a weather geek can accurately predict that far into the future without a time machine, which I just happen to be working on. :)

Dickie
    Participant

@VikingMariner 90030 wrote:

… without a time machine, which I just happen to be working on. :)

Don’t forget to put in the crystals Napoleon.

Anonymous

@ejwillis62 89982 wrote:

No, no polar vortex I was loving the 90’s I want them back. I need my heat… this is not fair it is july it should be in the 90’s. The rest of you get your cool in the fall and winter. We summer people need our high temps.

I’m pretty sure you are my long lost sister. Or cousin at the very least. 😎

ShawnoftheDread
    Participant

The next cyclist who tells me they “love the heat, the hotter the better” will have their home AC removed.

Anonymous

Trade my home AC for the winter home heating of any cyclist who raves about riding through winter cold and wind and snow and how he or she can’t wait for next year’s freezing saddles. Deal?

dkel
    Participant

@acl 90058 wrote:

Trade my home AC for the winter home heating of any cyclist who raves about riding through winter cold and wind and snow and how he or she can’t wait for next year’s freezing saddles. Deal?

I like nice weather a lot. I also like being a badass in poor conditions of all kinds (Rule 9). I think that’s why I’m enjoying my recent gravel commute so much: the rocks and ruts and mud aren’t going to stand between me and riding my bike, and overcoming them makes me feel good. It’s also why I got a thrill out of Freezing Saddles. And why I love riding in the rain. And the dark. It’s all fun. Crashing a month ago, though…not so much.

cyclingfool
    Participant

@acl 90058 wrote:

Deal. As someone who is looking forward to Freezing Saddles and winter riding, and further as someone who, sadly, lives in an older apartment building where my personal control over the heating of my living space is quite limited (and who has to regularly crack open windows in January to keep the apartment comfortable #NotLEEDCertified), I’ll gladly trade you! If you decide to keep your windows closed with my building’s heat, it may quickly be 80 degrees inside even though it’s 30 outside.

creadinger
    Participant

Of course to get the humid crap out of here and the cooler/drier air in here we need a front to do it.

Because of that front the whole area is now have a severe t-storm watch (valid 1:25 – 8pm). Lately it seems like most of the rain and storms have occurred later in the evening, so very much after rush hour. Today they’re more likely to come through right at rush hour, so keep an eye on the radar today! There’s a line beginning to form now along the Appalachians and will move east quickly.

PotomacCyclist
    Participant

@acl 90058 wrote:

I’m conditioned to expect heat and humidity in DC/Arlington in July. That’s what it’s supposed to be like. My only wish is that work offices would be more practical and adopt an appropriate dress code. Like they do in Bermuda. What’s wrong with wearing formal and neat “dress” shorts in hot weather? It can look (almost) professional and it’s far more practical than long pants on 90-degree days.

I need to start buying more Under Armour business casual clothing. Those wicking polo shirts are so much better than cotton in the summer heat.

n18
    Participant

@PotomacCyclist 90420 wrote:

I need to start buying more Under Armour business casual clothing. Those wicking polo shirts are so much better than cotton in the summer heat.

Modell’s has an almost see-through wicking polo shirts for $10, but they are solid colors mostly. I have used them in the 90 degrees weather and they are the best that I have tried. Not all 100% Polyester shirts created equal, some are more wicking than others. I always hold them against the light and compare different ones. This one is by far the most see-through I have seen, despite looking solid. Maybe there are ones that are more wicking than this one, but they are probably 4 or 5 times the price.

Terpfan
    Participant

@PotomacCyclist 90420 wrote:

I’m conditioned to expect heat and humidity in DC/Arlington in July. That’s what it’s supposed to be like. My only wish is that work offices would be more practical and adopt an appropriate dress code. Like they do in Bermuda. What’s wrong with wearing formal and neat “dress” shorts in hot weather? It can look (almost) professional and it’s far more practical than long pants on 90-degree days.

Ditto on dress. Although my relatively new (at least to me) employer is much more casual than the old one. I can pull off khakis and a polo on a non-casual day. Old employer was suits four days a week and that polo/khakis was the summer casual only.

The heat doesn’t bother me too much. Grew up here and so it’s always been a thing. The sub 10 degrees cold does because I rarely recall it ever dipping below the low teens, even with windchill. But then again, whomever introduced me to barmitts is amazing. Those things were godsends in the cold.

vern
    Participant

Man, this polar vortex is brutal!

mstone
    Participant

@vern 90558 wrote:

Man, this polar vortex is brutal!

It was kind of cold when I started out this morning.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.