Pointless Prize METRO PEAK PIONEER

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Pointless Prize METRO PEAK PIONEER

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    jrenaut
    Participant

@Subby 185032 wrote:

Okay now I’m interested.

There are no hills involved

Brett L.
    Participant

Extra points if you bring along Bianchi’s newest bike!!!

https://www.theonion.com/bianchi-introduces-new-bike-for-blocking-commuters-on-s-1819579824

Judd
    Participant

@jrenaut 185033 wrote:

There are no hills involved

“Ride in front of a metro train. Live forever.” – Subby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LhasaCM
    Participant

@Brett L. 185034 wrote:

Extra points if you bring along Bianchi’s newest bike!!!

https://www.theonion.com/bianchi-introduces-new-bike-for-blocking-commuters-on-s-1819579824

Only 7 feet long? I wish my normal ride were that short. In any event, the length and width would put this outside of the allowable size limits (that still exist), so please don’t break Metro’s rules. (Apparently, my 750mm wide flat bars are already too large for Metro, so I still can’t bring my regular bike on board) 😎

LeprosyStudyGroup
    Participant

@bikedavid 184997 wrote:

It was smooth sailng on the metro this morning from Farragust West to Reston! Spotted a couple of other cyclists taking advantage of the new policy too. Didn’t want my manager to know that I have the capacity of coming in earlier so using the extra 15 minutes I made a coffee ride out of it. Quite excited that I no longer have to wait until after peak and with the extra time I can now explore some coffee shops in Reston.47f23935a51158fef21abd549d95de5d.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Give it to us straight though man; how much K-Y Jelly did you have to lather up with to squeeze yourself into this tight lil tube?

huberww
    Participant

Furlough = lots of room for bikes during evening “rush”

https://www.strava.com/activities/2063176206

lordofthemark
    Participant

I tried this last night.

Comments: I forgot to take a picture while on metro – that said, I don’t think it would have been easy to do so. I was gripping my bike with both hands to make 100% sure it did not create any problem for my fellow passengers. There was room – I was in the last car, and furlough impacted L’Enfant Plaza pretty heavily. However there were still other standees, so I wanted to be especially careful.

At elevators I yielded preference to strollers and wheelchairs. At Pentagon (track to mezzanine) there were two wheel chair users. I offered to let them both go ahead. One went on. The second invited me to join him, as he had a smaller wheel chair and said we would both fit. The mezzanine to street level elevators at Pentagon are quite big – fit the wheel chair, me, and two people who had no visible reasons to not use the escalator (but who knows?).

I believe that if we make a point of using the metro as PAL’s, we can actually strengthen the case for this WMATA policy. I would like to say also model for our fellow people on bikes, but to be honest, I did not see anyone else with a bike on metrorail last evening.

obscurerichard
    Participant

@LeprosyStudyGroup 184894 wrote:

To score a point, ride your bike to or from a metro station and post a picture of your bike from that ride on the train during the newly opened peak hours (5 to 9:30 am and 3 to 7 pm weekdays). Put hashtag #bafsmetro in your ride to show up on the leaderboard, or post the pic and link to the ride here in this thread (hell, your impressions of the experience would be appreciated too).

Newly opened peak hours are from 5 to 10 am, and 3 to 7 pm. The original post had 9:30 AM. Please correct the rules cause Im about to post another ride starting at 9:55 AM :)

LeprosyStudyGroup
    Participant

@obscurerichard 185255 wrote:

Newly opened peak hours are from 5 to 10 am, and 3 to 7 pm. The original post had 9:30 AM. Please correct the rules cause Im about to post another ride starting at 9:55 AM :)

Fine by me.

LeprosyStudyGroup
    Participant

@lordofthemark 185254 wrote:

I tried this last night.

Comments: I forgot to take a picture while on metro – that said, I don’t think it would have been easy to do so. I was gripping my bike with both hands to make 100% sure it did not create any problem for my fellow passengers. There was room – I was in the last car, and furlough impacted L’Enfant Plaza pretty heavily. However there were still other standees, so I wanted to be especially careful.

At elevators I yielded preference to strollers and wheelchairs. At Pentagon (track to mezzanine) there were two wheel chair users. I offered to let them both go ahead. One went on. The second invited me to join him, as he had a smaller wheel chair and said we would both fit. The mezzanine to street level elevators at Pentagon are quite big – fit the wheel chair, me, and two people who had no visible reasons to not use the escalator (but who knows?).

I believe that if we make a point of using the metro as PAL’s, we can actually strengthen the case for this WMATA policy. I would like to say also model for our fellow people on bikes, but to be honest, I did not see anyone else with a bike on metrorail last evening.

By the way, tag your ride, I think everybody agrees you’d deserve a point for that. Thanks for being a good roll model (ahuh). The world needs more people like you to counterbalance the people like me.

obscurerichard
    Participant

Here’s photos from my 2 Metro peak rides today. Silver line, Virginia Square to Reston between 9 and 10 AM. Silky smooth, uncrowded trains.

1d76a5d3f6b6c5b668bbb894dbdc4ea5.jpg74d018330ffda0a543be8950040a4469.jpg

obscurerichard
    Participant

And more from tonights Metro Peak ride30d1b71a1f1844dec912294af492ef4e.jpg

bikedavid
    Participant

The Freezing Saddles happy hour express from earlier tonight. Choo choo!e9457da4797caa311babf659492040d3.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

bikedavid
    Participant

Just to clarify, only one of the rides to or from Metro counts right? So if you do bike-metro-bike you would only tag one of the rides?

SurlyTed1187
    Participant

@bikedavid 185328 wrote:

Just to clarify, only one of the rides to or from Metro counts right? So if you do bike-metro-bike you would only tag one of the rides?

You don’t have to make it separate rides. If you pause your computer/app when you arrive at the metro station, then un-pause when you arrive at your destination station to record the remainder of the trip to your final destination it won’t record the metro trip as part of the bike ride.

The map will show a straight line from your departure metro station to your final metro station, regardless if you had to change lines or not. Just don’t forget to pause and un-pause. Then just tag #BAFSMETRO, and upload your photo here!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.