No Commuting Through Ft. Myer Until Further Notice – How do we fix this?

Our Community Forums Commuters No Commuting Through Ft. Myer Until Further Notice – How do we fix this?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    bwalsh22204
    Participant

I have been biking through Ft. Myer for nearly two years now since the Arlington Boulevard (Rte. 50) trail has been closed. I am a civilian and have been able to pass through the base by showing my Virginia drivers license. Sometimes the guards copy down my information on their log sheet, and sometimes they simply wave me through after glancing at my license.

Yesterday morning I entered through Hatfield Gate at 10:45am. I came back through Wright Gate at 11:15am. Then, I attempted to enter again at Hatfield Gate at 3:45pm and was denied entry. The guard would only say that they received orders that morning that people without proper ID (military?) could no longer commute through. I asked if this was a permanent change in policy, and the guard said it was the new policy “until further notice”.

I am posting this not just to vent my frustration at the lack of notice and explanation from the Ft. Myer command, but to see if anyone here has information about this change or knows who to contact to lobby for reversing this change. Please share any information you may have.

Fast Friendly Guy
    Participant

BW,
    I used to commute regularly through both Henderson Hall and Ft Meyer, essentially a short-cut between 14th St Br and Clarendon–and that was around and after 9-11 so security was heightened. I had civilian DoD ID, and I was often asked for it when entering either reservation. I’m sure DoD affiliation helped. I recommend make a telephone or written request to the post Provost or transportation office. At least you’ll get more information, or maybe even a pass.

If all else fails, consider this route to avoid pass-thru. I also did this route regularly before discovering I could cut through the posts. Surprisingly, Washington Bvd is not so bad! Shoulders are 15′ and it is well graded (former rail/trolley line). Have to be aware and use great caution crossing entrance exit ramps. More than a few times (heading towards DC) slightly downhill, I picked up a dump truck at the Pershing stoplight on Wash Blvd, and drafted to Rt 50 or even Columbia Pike (once I think I got close to 50 mph!) Though I don’t recommend drafting dump trucks on Wash Blvd,.. but it was fun, (though very foolhardy)

Dave

Mantadiver
    Participant

I commuted through this morning with a federal employee ID without any problems.

bwalsh22204
    Participant

Hmmmm. I called Mary Ann Hodges, the Director of Public Affairs for the base, and she confirmed that there is no change in policy, so I should be able to continue going through. She said to call if this problem comes up again. If anyone else has this problem, her number is 703-696-4979.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.