New traffic lights for Bicycles and Pedestrians in Rosslyn

Our Community Forums Road and Trail Conditions New traffic lights for Bicycles and Pedestrians in Rosslyn

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Dirt
    Participant

Custis trail content. At least two of the intersections along the Custis Trail in Rosslyn are getting new traffic signals. Scott and Oak Streets are both getting new lights. Not sure when they’re scheduled to go on-line, but it looks to be some time in the next week or two.

Hugs and Kisses,

Pete

5661132580_e5a7d85c41_z.jpg

RESTONTODC
    Participant

I don’t see how the lights can help with the bicycles and pedestrians traffic. There are so much bicycles, pedestrians traffic and very little of automobile traffic in this section. I would be nice if Arlington county can make the right land as a bike lane.

Rick

Chris Eatough
    Participant

Yes, these are scheduled to be operational within a couple of weeks. The 2 locations are both where the Custis Trail crosses a road that has a traffic light. The traffic lights for bikes and pedestrians replace the previous “Walk/Don’t Walk” signals, which were apparently not effective, since many cyclists and pedestrians would continue through on the “Don’t Walk” setting even though cross traffic had the green light. This causes dangerous situations and crashes. A red traffic light will be a clearer indication to cyclists and pedestrians that cross traffic has a green light and should lead to safer conditions for all.
    Feel free to comment on this thread if you think the lights are working well and if you think they increase safety at those locations. County planners and engineers do read this forum!

DismalScientist
    Participant

I think the walk/don’t walk signals were “ineffective” because people chose to ignore them. I don’t see how these signals will change anything.

Dirt
    Participant

@DismalScientist 3305 wrote:

I think the walk/don’t walk signals were “ineffective” because people chose to ignore them. I don’t see how these signals will change anything.

They incorporate Arlington County’s new “Taser Enforcement” technology. BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT ;)

Chris Eatough
    Participant

A signalized intersection with red and green light phases is a stronger traffic control device than a “walk/don’t walk” message especially to cyclists who could even make the argument that “I wasn’t walking I was riding!”.

eminva
    Participant

Interesting. Going outbound in the afternoon, I rarely see cyclists stop for the red at Oak Street (same for pedestrians), assuming traffic is clear. I guess there is a sense that sightlines are good and traffic coming out of that street is light. I see more people stopping at Scott Street and waiting for that light — maybe by then they need to catch their breath.;)

The one I worry about is Quinn Street coming eastbound in the morning — sometimes cars turning from Quinn on to Lee Highway don’t stop to look at the trail to make sure it is clear (especially with distracted drivers on cell phones, etc.). They just turn their head left and not right. For that reason, as well as the heavy pedestrian traffic, I take the Roslyn hill quite a bit more slowly than most on the inbound trip.

Liz

RESTONTODC
    Participant

@Chris Eatough 3308 wrote:

“I wasn’t walking I was riding!”.

Now, the pedestrians are going to say I wasn’t stopping because I didn’t see the “Don’t walk” message and I wasn’t riding!

Hopefully, the lights will reduce accidents.

Rick

RESTONTODC
    Participant

From the picture, it looks like both walk/don’t walk for pedestrains and traffic lights for bicycles will be installed.

OneEighth
    Participant

I think Liz has got it right.
    Heading downhill toward Quinn Street is the intersection to really worry about. The sound barrier creates a big blind spot for drivers and for cyclists who are heading downhill. On top of that, drivers are naturally inclined to pull forward into the crosswalk and look to their left to see oncoming traffic on Lee Highway.
    Maybe some signage warning about the path would help?
    Of course, it would help if some of the NoVA DHFRT members would ease up on the afterburners when approaching that intersection. It’s way more meaningful to go fast UP the hills…
    Just sayin’.

JimF22003
    Participant

Here’s me telling the truth. I stop now if the cars have the right of way, but continue on through the “don’t walk” sign if there are no cars.

I will do the same thing with a red light.

Dirt
    Participant

I’ve been hit at every one of those intersections over the last 5 years. I’m happy to see more prominent signals. Hopefully this will get cyclists obeying the rules a bit more. Not sure what to do about the cars that ignore the rules.

baiskeli
    Participant

I will obey these signals (or at least stop before running a red when it’s obviously safe). Here’s why:

I expect cars to do their part to keep me safe by obeying traffic laws, so I have to do the same.

Going downhill fast, it’s not safe to plow through an intersection against a signal.

Going uphill, it gives me an excuse to stop and rest and not look lazy.

Dirt
    Participant

Great answer, Baiskeli. I follow the rules and obey the signals, but I’ve learned not to trust the cars. I do my best to instill their trust in me. Can’t expect them to obey the rules if I am not willing to do the same. Hope for the best but be prepared for the worst. That way I can live to ride another day.

Dirt
    Participant

Scott Street was activated this morning. Oak street is still not active.

5670424003_fd86c044d1_b.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.