Nasty thunderstorm tonight

Our Community Forums General Discussion Nasty thunderstorm tonight

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    SilverSpring
    Participant

The trees looked like God gave them a pretty good lopping
    Crowned heights of the oaks no longer were topping
    It was easy to see
    The surfeit of debris
    And those who knew not dark traffic lights were for stopping

KelOnWheels
    Participant

How y’all doing?

I got power back at about 5 AM Sunday – lots of stuff is still out in my neighborhood and cell signal is really spotty. I finally found an open grocery store last night so I could replace some of the food I had to throw out. Haven’t ventured out on the bike yet.

Certifried
    Participant

@KelOnWheels 24124 wrote:

How y’all doing?

I got power back at about 5 AM Sunday – lots of stuff is still out in my neighborhood and cell signal is really spotty. I finally found an open grocery store last night so I could replace some of the food I had to throw out. Haven’t ventured out on the bike yet.

Be careful if you see any downed wires while you’re riding. I guess most of the trails down there are open and clear, I tried to ride the Bethesda trolley trail and it was completely blocked. I’m sure there are probably still some wires and trees down around though.

My power came back on last night around 5 or so, then I spent the next 6 hours waiting for the apartment to cool down LOL

Terpfan
    Participant

I was just barely sparred being stuck in it. We had an extended happy hour for a coworker leaving for a new job. I was planning to bike home after it and figured I would wait out the heat until 10ish, but my fiance ended up coming out and wanting to take the Metro home earlier than I planned to leave. I got home around 10ish. Power went out shortly thereafter. Probably the only time in my life that Metro has actually been more of a help than a hindrance. Really glad I didn’t get stuck in it as the MVT had several downed trees that I saw NPS cleaning up this morning. It would have made for a great posting though!

brendan
    Participant

We got caught in the incoming storm front walking from the 3rd district police station (needed a parking pass) to a birthday party about four blocks west of us on 18th st. When we walked outside it was a drizzle, but by the time we were halfway there, the rain/wind was so fierce that we couldn’t open our eyes and had to crouch during some of the initial gusts. There was already a tree down over the sidewalk on California street by the time got there.

Some bad timing, definitely…but we made it safe to the bar, though the downstairs was full/closed. So they sent us upstairs to the semi-open sided roof deck. Um. A bit scary, but the northern view through the open portion was spectacular.

We just had to stay on the south side of the room to avoid occasional flying bit of furniture on the north side of the room…

Brendan

MV Clyde
    Participant

I was watching the Nats-Braves game. Bottom of the 9th, Nats up by one….. Clippard on the mound….. Wind, rain, lightning, thunder…. Everything dark….. No lights….. No TV… No internet….. No AC…. Nothingness….

Oh the humanity!!!

Fast forward three days…. Power back on… Cable…. Wifi…. AC… Wife happy….. Life is good!!!!

bikesnick
    Participant

@KelOnWheels 24124 wrote:

How y’all doing?

still no power in area around mclean high school. at least two downed poles on lemon road.

consularrider
    Participant

@bikesnick 24198 wrote:

still no power in area around mclean high school. at least two downed poles on lemon road.

I hate to jinx things, but we were very fortunate, only lost power for about an hour on Friday night/Saturday morning. There was a big tree that took out the power line on N 4 Mile Run Dr two houses away, but that must have been feeding someone else. Dominion was there with a bunch of trucks and people all day Sunday, had to replace two of the power poles, and were back again on Monday. the wires are still drooping, so I expect they’ll be back today.

On my way to work this morning I took a roundabout warmup loop through eastern Falls Church and was surprised to see that there is a huge tree that has fallen across Great Falls St just south of the W&OD crossing before you get to Cherry Hill Park. It has also taken down power lines. Given how much traffic that stretch gets, I would have thought it would have been a priority. Also still heard lots of small generators running at peoples’ houses as I rode by.

The stores at Willston Center were still without power last night, the Safeway was open, but only with non-perishables and some fruit. It was kind of weird going through a mostly dim/dark grocery. Both the Safeway and the Harris Teeter in the Lee-Harrison area were open and had cold stuff, but with some limited selection and no ice.

jopamora
    Participant

Went to Whole Foods to replenish the fridge. Felt a few drops on the way there. Found out people in Whole Foods are almost as annoying as ninja passers. When I finally made it out of there it was raining. Saw some flashes of lightening and was really thankful that I live close by. Next time I’ll make sure to check the weather radar.

MCL1981
    Participant

Here in the Montgomerty County blast zone, I just got power back. Been living in my truck or in a refugee camp for 4 nights. I was struck by one of my own flying patio chairs when the storm hit. Which is better than being struck by one of the many trees that took flight.

Certifried
    Participant

damn, wish I would’ve known you were in MoCo without power still. I would’ve invited you over for a beer and some AC!

If anyone else is around MoCo (Bethesda) without power and wants some AC, a phone charge outlet, some internets, beer, etc, just let me know

MCL1981
    Participant

I’m planning to bottle this cold air for next time. I move to Germantown the end of July. I’m buying a generator big enough to black start the entire grid. I’ve had it with this crap.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.