Let’s talk about Box, baby!

Our Community Forums Family Biking Let’s talk about Box, baby!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    83b
    Participant

Taking another look at the electric system that comes with the Rolling Orange model, it has some pros and cons.

Pro:

• Fully installed and no questions re: compatibility. Since most bakfiets use rollerbrakes, it’s a bit hard to find a hubmotor that matches.
    • Peace of mind. You know it’s a setup that the manufacturer approves of. Seems much more valuable when hauling precious cargo rather than groceries.

Con:

• 24 Volt / 180 Watt system isn’t terribly powerful. Will probably only assist to around 10 mph and might be underpowered for any major hills or heavier loads.
    • The $1,700 price difference would purchase a significantly better aftermarket system. But you’d have to navigate compatibility and installation. Becomes pretty easy if you’re opting for a model with brake bosses on the front fork.
    • While I wouldn’t want to overpower a bakfiets, I think a 36 Volt 500 Watt motor would offer much more torque and, if you felt the need, could be speed limited with a Cycle Analyst below the 20 mph it would otherwise top out at.
    • Small battery. The 10 Amp battery is going to drain pretty quickly, even on a lower-power system. I suspect you’d struggle to get 20 miles per charge.

In terms of good vendors, ebikes.ca and Emissions Free have been endorsed by forum members. If anyone wants to chat offline about doing an ebike conversion, just shoot me a PM.

ronwalf
    Participant

@dasgeh 49299 wrote:

(I know, not a missed connection, but a truly annoying experience).

Ah, the memories! A few years back at anonymous local bike shop,
    Me: I’m looking for a touring bike for commuting in, say, the $X price range
    Clerk: 2X price range
    Me: Maybe something along the lines of a Surly LHT?
    Clerk: What? Surly’s are the Pintos of touring bikes – they use straight gauge tubing! (???!)

Oh dear, oh dear. Let’s count the ways he didn’t make a sale:
    1) Demonstrate an odd concept of what makes a touring bike
    2) Not catch my price range
    3) Miss that I was looking for an entry level touring bike
    4) Lie about a competing bike’s specs
    5) On top of that, I liked the family Pinto!

dasgeh
    Participant

If anyone is considering the Babboe, you should probably read the discussion in the comments here: http://www.bakfiets-en-meer.nl/2008/07/11/roundup-reviews-of-various-family-transport-bikes/

(take away, babboe is the ikea of box bikes)

dasgeh
    Participant

Just found out Christiania (famous for trikes) has a 2 wheeler. BicycleSpace is a Christiania dealer. So I’ve asked about price and timing.

In the mean time, Here’s a review: http://christiania2wheeler.wordpress.com/post-purchase-review/

dasgeh
    Participant

So I just heard that Daily Rider can get the Babboe City-E for $1700 in a week. That’s an e-assist cargo bike for under $2000. I’m floored. But the reviews (and price, honestly) give me pause.

Opinions? Is it really just too good to be true?

** EDIT: Ok, it looks like it’s just the e-kit they can get for $1700. The bike is $2500. So the ebike would be $4200. Yes, some things are too good to be true.

83b
    Participant

Wow! That does seem like a great price, and the 36V/250W electrics are a step up from whats offered on the Bakfiets.nl. But the bad reviews you’ve pointed out elsewhere would still give me pause. Has the shop sold any to vouch for the mfg quality?

Still, compared to some of the people in that discussion thread, I’d be comforted a bit by buying through a reputable local shop.

jopamora
    Participant

I like the look of this one. Not keen on the drive train.

dasgeh
    Participant

So we bought the bakfiets.nl (with eAssist – with the better brakes and battery) from Rolling Orange. Got it Wednesday. Took it out yesterday and today accompanying me on my commute.

Riding along
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]3235[/ATTACH]

Classic Arlington view
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]3236[/ATTACH]

Trying to channel my inner Dirt
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]3234[/ATTACH]

Tim Kelley
    Participant

Hurry up and start a review thread of its own so we can ask questions!

jopamora
    Participant

Did you get a rain cover? I have that Germany shirt too!

dasgeh
    Participant

@Tim Kelley 57056 wrote:

Hurry up and start a review thread of its own so we can ask questions!

Give me the weekend it ride it ;-)

Or you could come out TOMORROW for the Tour de Kidical (9:30am Quincy Park – kidicialmassarl.blogspot.com) to see it in action.

dasgeh
    Participant

@jopamora 57057 wrote:

Did you get a rain cover? I have that Germany shirt too!

Yes! We got the orange one. It’s pretty awesome, though it may get a bit warm in there.

Did you go to the Germany-US game? Not that it was the place to be wearing a Germany jersey.

jopamora
    Participant

Short answer – I didn’t go to the game.
    Long answer – I knew it was coming up and finally made the connection that it was at RFK a week before it. Ticket prices were kinda silly and it was an exhibition game. Plus Germany wasn’t going to have their full team with the Bundesliga guys playing in multiple Championships.

dasgeh
    Participant

I need to write a review of our totally awesome bakfiets.nl (with e-assist and a few upgrades) purchased from Rolling Orange this super. Short version: we LOVE it. And the e-assist and battery have turned out to be much better than we expected. The limiting factor our trips has been our kids’ non-nap windows, not in any way the bike.

But until I do a full write up, here’s a great review of a non-e-bakfiets from Boston: http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2013/06/workcycles-bakfiets-long.html
    Most of what she writes I find spot on. I’d only add that the e-assist changes the answer from “not the best bike for hills” to “this thing can go wherever”.

jinomas
    Participant

Does anyone have any experience and/or thought on the CETMA Cargo Bikes?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.