Kids Bikes

Our Community Forums Bikes & Equipment Kids Bikes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    DismalScientist
    Participant

Part of the FCC2 discussion involve ongoing lamentation that inexpensive kids bikes are derived from mountain bikes and are heavy with generally useless (for kids) bling like suspension forks. It seems that Diamondback makes a 24″ (wheel) “hybrid” bike called the Insight/Clarity 24 with skinnier tires and lighter frames, but still twist-shift 2×7 gearing. It is available at REI for $290 (and at Nashbar for $40 cheaper and amazon for $90 cheaper). Has anyone seen these? Are they significantly lighter than typical kids bikes?

mstone
    Participant

I’d be curious. REI says it’s an aluminum frame, but diamondback lists it as “alloy”. So I’d guess low grade steel and heavy as hell. The fork looks chunky, like a drop-in replacement for their shock fork. About half the cost of a hotrock, but no rack or fender mounts. :) They also have a new “podium 24” which is aluminum, but which brings the cost right back in line with specialized or trek. The insight may actually end up being heavier than the octane (their MTB) which is also aluminum, but they might be overbuilt enough that the materials are a wash. It does kinda make me wonder how they’re positioning things, why they’re specing them the way they are, and how they determine pricing. I guess ~$300 before discount is just where they want to be.

All that said, I’ve seen worse and it might end up being a decent choice and relatively budget-friendly.

ShawnoftheDread
    Participant

I thought when manufacturers called a bike “alloy” they meant an aluminum alloy.

mstone
    Participant

@ShawnoftheDread 70046 wrote:

I thought when manufacturers called a bike “alloy” they meant an aluminum alloy.

You’re right, I need sleep. Scratch what I said about steel.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.