Group Rides Jan 1st?

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Boomer Cycles
    Participant

@Arlingtonrider 103197 wrote:

I plan to go to Hains Point around 11 a.m. or so to ride a few laps, practice peloton avoidance skilz and maybe cheer on some century riding friends. Will probably head out to Del Rey or Old Town afterwards. Anyone is welcome to join me.

I’ll plan to be there, and hopefully greet you for the new year at Hains Point.

Arlingtonrider
    Participant

@Boomer2U 103211 wrote:

I’ll plan to be there, and hopefully greet you for the new year at Hains Point.

Great! And Happy New Year everyone! I’ll try to be at the point of Hains Point around 11:30. Anyone else?

For those who might not know, riding laps at Hains Point on New Years Day is an annual tradition started by Potomac Pedalers 31 years ago. Called the “Circle of Cycles,” it has also been adopted by many other area cycling clubs and individuals. People of all abilities are invited to ride as many or as few laps as they would like anytime during the day. Potomac Pedalers and other groups encourage people to bring snacks or hot beverages to share from tailgates or picnic tables. It’s a lot of fun to see so many out riding and a nice way to start the New Year and get some miles in for FS. (There’s also an FS prize for most Hains Point loops during the competition. I’m a past winner but recusing myself from that this year.)

(Just fyi – there are quite a few people who ride a good luck century there, starting early and typically finishing around noon. The pelotons can get large during the morning hours – very cool to watch, but some riders not in the peloton have found them to be a little intimidating. Riders not in the peloton need to use a little extra care and thought, such as riding single file close to the right and exercising special care at the turns if a peloton is coming up. Also, it is important to be able to listen to what is happening behind you.)

p.s. This isn’t a group ride per se, but more of an event. If you’re out at the point around 11:30 or see any of us riding, please say hi!

Starduster
    Participant

Hi Arlingtonrider!

Great info, merci. I’ve been sufficiently far away from serious riding that I didn’t know about this tradition. Too late today, but…

My wife and I will still be out & about this afternoon in south Arlington. She has rediscovered her inner http://bikeyface.com/, thanks to her new Breezer Uptown EX-LS, now named *Snowflake*. Hains point will come soon, once I resolve a minor transport issue- Snowflake does not have a top tube, and that doesn’t play well with the traditional trunk mounted bike carriers. The crew at Papillon Cycles say they have a solution…

hozn
    Participant

@Raymo853 103176 wrote:

Yes please join us. Meeting one non-forum person under the Chain Bridge at 8. We are both bringing CX bikes and planning to diverge up onto the trails at Blockhouse Point. As long as it is not muddy, we plan to ride the lower MoCo course backward-ish then come back on the C&O.

http://www.strava.com/routes/1038432

Hey, lemme know how this was today. I might ride your route tomorrow if it wasn’t too muddy today.

Steve O
    Participant

@Steve O 102705 wrote:

Meet me at the Starbucks here:
    https://goo.gl/maps/2tqni

We’ll do a quick Coffee Club and then take a spin around the lake.

Where was everyone?

Raymo853
    Participant

@hozn 103261 wrote:

Hey, lemme know how this was today. I might ride your route tomorrow if it wasn’t too muddy today.

We did not end up going on the trails and stuck to the C&O.

My ride: http://www.strava.com/activities/235382924

This guy road part of those trails today and called his ride muddy:
    http://www.strava.com/activities/235335169#5546340125

hozn
    Participant

@Raymo853 103315 wrote:

We did not end up going on the trails and stuck to the C&O.

My ride: http://www.strava.com/activities/235382924

This guy road part of those trails today and called his ride muddy:
    http://www.strava.com/activities/235335169#5546340125

Thanks for the report! Yeah, I don’t like riding them muddy. I had kinda figured asich given how soft our yard is still. I think frozen-only for awhile. I put on the road tires and will do River Rd to Whites Ferry and back down W&OD.

cyclingfool
    Participant

@Steve O 103296 wrote:

Where was everyone?

Sorry. I was on my way, but I got a flat somewhere around Corpus Christi. ;)

ShawnoftheDread
    Participant

@Steve O 103296 wrote:

Where was everyone?

I was at Java Shack with a Christmas light fixer ready to be loaned out.

Well, today I was. Yesterday I was sleeping.

PotomacCyclist
    Participant

I didn’t sign up for Freezing Saddles, but I decided to test my quads and ride yesterday. I managed a 75-minute leisurely ride on Capital Bikeshare, my first ride in 5.5 weeks! Seems that my current problems had more to do with scar tissue in my quads than continued muscle damage and injury. (In case you’re not aware, I strained both quads during a run hill sprint workout, way back in June. I probably didn’t warm up enough that day, and my overall base training was sub-par during the previous winter and spring.) Once I broke up the scar tissue (which was a painful but brief process), my quads sort of cleared up.

A day later and so far, so good. My quads feel OK for now. That’s the first time that my legs have felt normal after a bike ride or run or strength workout since July or August! That’s such a big relief, knowing that I can go for a casual ride anytime I want (unless there are tornadoes or winter Sharknados outside), without worrying that it would take me a week to recover from even an easy 30-minute ride. Happy New Year indeed!

dasgeh
    Participant

@Starduster 103249 wrote:

Hains point will come soon, once I resolve a minor transport issue- Snowflake does not have a top tube, and that doesn’t play well with the traditional trunk mounted bike carriers. The crew at Papillon Cycles say they have a solution…

The solution is something like this. We have one (not this brand, but similar) and it works great for not-too-heavy bikes.

Raymo853
    Participant

In the end my Jan 1st ride was very bad for me. I really got hit hard by the flu Friday and today (Jan 7th) is the first day I am back at work since. I bet during the ride I was very infectious so you should be happy you did not join me. The ride did not cause this but did weaken my ability to deal with it and heal. Might try a sleaze ride today but won’t be up for anything longer for days. Sad to know that I was 3rd overall Jan 1st and now have dropped to nearly 70th. Any plans I had to be a high scorer this year are out.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.