Great Allegheny Passage

Our Community Forums General Discussion Great Allegheny Passage

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    edobson22207
    Participant

Planning to undertake the Great Allegheny Passage, heading east from McKeesport to Cumberland.
    I have received some great advice from people who have ridden it recently but always looking for more advice.
    Big concern is water — is there plenty on the route?
    Welcome helpful suggestions!!

Mantadiver
    Participant

I rode the passage last May (along with the C&O). Water was not an issue for me. I stocked up when I had the chance. I don’t think I would ride the passage this time of year. Too hot. May was great weather and I am sure the fall would be nice also. If you would like to read a trip report I wrote here is a link: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?646042-Trip-Report-%E2%80%93-Great-Allegheny-Passage-C-amp-O-Trail&p=10824373&highlight=#post10824373

Have fun.

edobson22207
    Participant

Thanks for the link to your story.
    I’m pretty sure we are going to regret the choice of July, but this is what worked best for us.
    I biked across southern Baja once in February (100+ the whole way) so I’m ready, I think.
    We also are staying at a B&B in which the owner has agreed to come scrape us up wherever we ask so that is our failsafe!!

edobson22207
    Participant

Well we survived the Great Allegheny Passage this past weekend. While it was a bit cooler up there, it was still quite hot.
    We did the whole trip from McKeesport to Cumberland. McKeesport to West Newton on Day One; West Newton to Rockwood on Day two; and Rockwood to Cumberland on Sunday.
    Observations: Plenty of water, food, civilization. Going thru Ohiopyle State Park there were limited resources. Trail is in excellent condition — good surface, generally wide, large portions in the shade, mile markers going up and down. Most people were NOT wearing helmets — disturbing.
    Anyone wants to try it, I’m more than happy to provide advice.

skreaminquadz
    Participant

I just rode the GAP this past weekend – great time to be up there! I rode from Cumberland to McKeesport.

I also noticed the lack of helmets and thought it may have just been an anomaly this past weekend – apparently not! I would say less than 10% of cyclists were wearing helmets. I found out PA law only requires helmets if you’re 12 and under, which may expalin some of the helmetless folks…

I also thoroughly enjoyed the trail, it was in great condition with plenty of water and rest stops along the way. They did a great job with that trail!!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.