Garmin Connect and Strava…….

Our Community Forums General Discussion Garmin Connect and Strava…….

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    DSalovesh
    Participant

@TwoWheelsDC 171245 wrote:

So using GC to actually track the rides (admittedly I’ve never even considered doing this)

I don’t even see that as an option in GC. I can only add manual activities.

Brett L.
    Participant

@TwoWheelsDC 171238 wrote:

I guess maybe if his Garmin device doesn’t have BT and he has to manually upload rides? Like you, I turn on my Garmin, it auto-connects to my phone, auto-uploads the ride to GC when I’m done, then GC automatically sends the ride to Strava. It’s rare that I ever open the GC app or website (or Strava, for that matter).

The bolded section is basically what the issue is.

I can record my ride either via my Garmin Forerunner 35 or via my phone. The Garmin has the benefit of being able to track heart rate and instantly syncs to both GC and Strava. The phone has the benefit of more accurate elevation data, setting up ride titles at upload (rather than after the fact), and attaching pictures at time of upload rather than having to go back into the ride and make edits. I really wouldn’t care much about Garmin Connect, except that is how my Wellness program tracks my activites (I could also use MapmyRide, Apple Fitness or whatever that’s called, etc.). The only app that isn’t connected to my Wellness program is Strava….

Anyhow, it’s really not a big issue. I got the answer I was looking for. I wanted a way to do this with less active steps on my behalf (because I then forget to do them and never look at Strava, and I’m lazy and want to automate everything). Based upon the answers provided, Tapiriik is the only way to sync Strava to GC. So I need to choose whether:

– to use that service and spend a little extra money and give my info to yet another third party
    – use my Garmin Forerunner 35 and force myself to pay attention to strava
    – or use my phone and manually sync to GC but ensure that rides are not duplicated on Strava.

Thanks all!

TwoWheelsDC
    Participant

@DSalovesh 171246 wrote:

I don’t even see that as an option in GC. I can only add manual activities.

Aha…I’m actually surprised. I just assumed it would have that functionality, but like I said, it’s not something I ever thought to actually look for in the app.

Emm
    Participant

@Brett L. 171247 wrote:

big issue. I got the answer I was looking for. I wanted a way to do this with less active steps on my behalf (because I then forget to do them and never look at Strava, and I’m lazy and want to automate everything). Based upon the answers provided, Tapiriik is the only way to sync Strava to GC. So I need to choose whether:

– to use that service and spend a little extra money and give my info to yet another third party
    – use my Garmin Forerunner 35 and force myself to pay attention to strava
    – or use my phone and manually sync to GC but ensure that rides are not duplicated on Strava.

Thanks all!

Maybe not your only option. Try https://www.fitnesssyncer.com/

It’s free, and will automatically sync. You have to play with settings though so you don’t double up on rides, but even someone who is pretty awful at technology like me can figure it out without too much hassle.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.