Freezing Saddles scoreboard software updates

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition Freezing Saddles scoreboard software updates

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    hozn
    Participant

I’m starting a new thread to collect future updates on the scoreboard (as opposed to my previous practice of starting a new thread for each update).

I fixed the issue with team/indiv various leaderboards not displaying. In doing so, I noticed that some of our leaderboards are heavily skewed due to invalid data. In particular, the “Time in the Saddle” (i.e. summed “moving time”).

I’ve commented on some of these rides so hopefully the riders can clean them up. I’m tempted to just exclude manual entry rides from any of the leaderboards (other than points). If I had my druthers, I’d exclude them completely, just as Strava does for their challenges, but I realize that would be viewed as unfair. (And, of course, I didn’t write the rules; the intent of the scoreboard app is to conform as best as technically possible to whatever the established rules are.)

Unfortunately, the problems extend to rides that have a GPX track too — I commented on these too — so excluding manual entries won’t take away the need for some oversight of erronious data in the scoreboards. Of course, this oversight requirement problem grows linearly with the number of contestants. If the size of the competition changes dramatically in future years, I’ll need to invest in better tools to help manage the noise. I’m comforted by the fact that we’re at least capped by the number of riders crazy enough to ride in winter conditions. But I realize FS participants are still a small fraction of those actually commuting these days.

consularrider
    Participant

And we all appreciate your stellar work!

vern
    Participant

I had a ride described in another thread below where my phone locked up leading to Strava recording a 27+ hour ride rather than a 95 minute ride. That obviously distorts some of the stats as noted above. Therefore, I will delete that ride and manually enter it so that the team gets the points for the ride and miles, and that will eliminate distortions in the data as they relate to time in saddle, nighttime hours, etc.

**Work PC won’t let me delete the bad entry in Strava so I’ll have to do that tonight, at which time I’ll manually enter the miles/time for that ride.

hozn
    Participant

Yeah, I noticed that one in there; I guess I commented on your Strava activity. Thanks for clearing it up. I realize this is an annoyance, but since some of the pointless prizes may be affected, want to make sure the data is relatively sane.

peterw_diy
    Participant

Yes, thanks for all your work!

For me, the manual entry rides might be the most accurate. Sometimes I forget to stop the app when entering a store and end up mapping the aisles. :-/ Usually I catch myself, break the ride in two & trim the bad data. But that doesn’t happen with my manually entered data.

americancyclo
    Participant

@vern 106279 wrote:

Therefore, I will delete that ride and manually enter it so that the team gets the points for the ride and miles, and that will eliminate distortions in the data as they relate to time in saddle, nighttime hours, etc.

**Work PC won’t let me delete the bad entry in Strava so I’ll have to do that tonight, at which time I’ll manually enter the miles/time for that ride.

You can just crop the extra portion of the ride, no need to delete and add manually.

vern
    Participant

@americancyclo 106286 wrote:

You can just crop the extra portion of the ride, no need to delete and add manually.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lZQa0ZYS4o&x-yt-cl=84359240&x-yt-ts=1421782837#t=77

oh well, I didn’t see this first. I just deleted the ride using my phone and made a manual entry. Thanks for the info.

Steve O
    Participant

@peterw_diy 106283 wrote:

break the ride in two. . .. .

How do you do that? I know how to crop the beginnings and ends of rides, but I cannot figure out how to break a ride into two separate rides. When I’ve had to do that I end up cropping one and making the other a manual entry.

peterw_diy
    Participant

@Steve O 106309 wrote:

How do you do that?

Nothing fancy. :-( If I notice in the building, I’ll finish + upload what I have & trim when I get home, and make a separate ride/recording for the ride home. Sorry, I see now my “break” language was unclear. I wish it were possible to trim the middle of recordings.

vvill
    Participant

There are ways of splitting a .fit/.gpx etc. This site will automatically split a .fit file with >4 hrs gap.
    http://garmin.kiesewetter.nl/

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ has some tools too. I’m sure I’ve used one of them before, but I forget what exactly…

jwetzel
    Participant

My ride home had an issue today, it seemed to stop recording actual data (time included) about Euclid and 14th, but gave me the full distance and that bumped my speed average up it seems. Probably closer to what my actually moving speed average is as I’m a vehicular cyclist, but ¯_(ツ)_/¯. Hope it doesn’t break any pointless prizes. https://www.strava.com/activities/244763776

Rod Smith
    Participant

I’ve done a pretty good job of dodging raindrops on the weekends but I’ve worked in the rain and snow. So I’m curious why I can’t find myself on the leaderboards for snowiest and rainiest rides.

hozn
    Participant

Yeah, I don’t know. Ian may have some comment, as he created those. I don’t know how his scoring works. Also we take shortcuts that may do you a disservice — e.g. we only look at weather for the start location (over the duration of the ride). Obviously this is going to misrepresent, but for most people it is probably “close enough”. Most people don’t ride all day. Not sure what else may be a factor here; I can take a look at the weather data when I have a fee minutes to dive into this.

Rod Smith
    Participant

Ah. I shouldn’t have asked. Or I should have figured it was a anomaly from the fact that I upload as a single ride what really is many short rides. I’m inside buildings almost half of the time. I’m not exposed to significant amounts of rainfall or snowfall on any one of my short rides so I would be low on the list anyway. Don’t worry about fixing.

americancyclo
    Participant

I’m getting

[h=1]Internal Server Error[/h] The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

when trying to view the “Team (Various)” Leaderboard. A known bug, or am I breaking things on my end?
    also, please let me know if this is an appropriate place to report challenges with using the internet in general.

Thanks Hozn for such stellar work!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.