Fred

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    rcannon100
    Participant

sevenfredlysins-echo-in-the-city-life-with-a-hardcore-cyclist.jpg

ShawnoftheDread
    Participant

That’s not a Fred. Freds have carbon bikes, matching kits, and no calves.

Harry Meatmotor
    Participant

yeah, concur – if anything that’s Wilma-lite.

wheelswings
    Participant

Uh oh. That’s a picture of me! :+) Sort of. Despite bicycle-commuting daily for a decade.

Actually, when I was truly “a Fred,” my green-ness as a cyclist was most apparent in a way that others could not see…for months I had this strong urge to put on my seatbelt. I’d get on my bike and then stall for a moment, going through this absurd mental exercise thinking I had to buckle up.

cyclingfool
    Participant

Fred seems to be the most poorly defined term I encounter in cycling circles, with two opposite definitions. I regularly encounter it as meaning both AND types.

americancyclo
    Participant

I think the illustration is more along the lines of someone with a ‘prepper‘ mentality and an accessory problem.

rcannon100
    Participant

I think it is the former. It follows, I believe, the mantra of “If I buy $5000 golf clubs, I am Tiger Woods.” (The Dread version of the definition)

ShawnoftheDread
    Participant

I would call the illustration Bike Geek.

Orestes Munn
    Participant

@ShawnoftheDread 99035 wrote:

I would call the illustration Bike Geek.

Especially the smile. Freds don’t smile.

baiskeli
    Participant

I did notice this morning that rcannon has two identical lights mounted on his handlebars. Fred!

Dickie
    Participant
    DismalScientist
    Participant

The Fred (of the bikegeek type) in the cartoon should be running disc brakes.

Orestes Munn
    Participant

She’s not wearing yellow. That’s contributory negligence.

Geoff
    Participant

@Dickie 99040 wrote:

http://biskey7.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/bicycling-are-you-a-fred/

Liked the article, especially these last lines:
    “Sacrificing some, or ignoring completely, concerns of speed or traditional roadie/sport cyclist style, these type of Freds are more concerned with practical concerns like comfort, safety, versatility, maintenance, being able to quickly transition to time and culture on/off the bicycle, etc. Freds of this type can be well aware of their fredness, once they are aware of the concept, and often embrace it wholeheartedly.”

I am all about being practical, and wish to wholeheartedly embrace my fredness.

Arlingtonrider
    Participant

The person depicted in the original post of this thread is me. No doubt about it. I’m missing a few things, like the cupholders, fenders and a mirror, but I make up for that by rocking two (2) bells on my handlebars. ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.