December 2013 Trail Conditions

Our Community Forums Road and Trail Conditions December 2013 Trail Conditions

Viewing 11 posts - 136 through 146 (of 146 total)
  • Author
    sleeplatekate
    Participant

Rock Creek Trail between Randolph Rd. and Veirs Mill in Montgomery County is clear of leaves, ice-free, and beautiful, even in the shade and on bridges. The Matthew Henson Trail from the Connecticut Ave. underpass to Veirs Mill, also in Mo. Co., is icy, snowy, and ugly for skinny tires (on the 4 wood bridges). Making things worse, the entrance to the Connecticut Ave underpass is torn up for construction and not marked very well–a surprise in the dark).

jrenaut
    Participant

@sleeplatekate 72283 wrote:

Rock Creek Trail between Randolph Rd. and Veirs Mill in Montgomery County is clear of leaves, ice-free, and beautiful, even in the shade and on bridges. The Matthew Henson Trail from the Connecticut Ave. underpass to Veirs Mill, also in Mo. Co., is icy, snowy, and ugly for skinny tires (on the 4 wood bridges). Making things worse, the entrance to the Connecticut Ave underpass is torn up for construction and not marked very well–a surprise in the dark).

ELITE-level first post. Welcome to the forum.

dkel
    Participant

@JimF22003 72275 wrote:

What’s the story on the W&OD from say, Gallows west out to Ashburn?

I rode the W&OD from Falls Church past the Ayr Hill crossing in Vienna between 10:00 and 11:00 this morning. It was almost entirely clear, but it was damp throughout, which has me slightly concerned for my ride home late tonight. Can’t speak to the Reston to Ashburn portion of the trail.

dasgeh
    Participant

@jrenaut 72270 wrote:

The bleeping bleep DDOT didn’t grade PA Ave properly when they repaved, and now instead of water pooling in the gutters, it pools in the cycletrack. It’s not too bad out there today – a bit slushy, and you should be careful, but 2-3 degrees colder and it’s going to be covered in sheets of ice.

You may want to start joining us on Madison/Jefferson. I know it’s out of your way, but it’s a BEAUTIFUL ride.

Oh, and some ice but no problems on the late shift commute Custis — Capitol Hill via TR Bridge

JimF22003
    Participant

@dkel 72297 wrote:

I rode the W&OD from Falls Church past the Ayr Hill crossing in Vienna between 10:00 and 11:00 this morning. It was almost entirely clear, but it was damp throughout, which has me slightly concerned for my ride home late tonight. Can’t speak to the Reston to Ashburn portion of the trail.

Thanks. I was thinking about heading out into the wind after work, and sailing back. Hopefully it will be above freezing for that.

jrenaut
    Participant

@dasgeh 72302 wrote:

You may want to start joining us on Madison/Jefferson. I know it’s out of your way, but it’s a BEAUTIFUL ride.

It’s not really out of my way, but we fought and continue to fight for those cycletracks on PA Ave and I refuse to stop using them just because bleeping DDOT is bleepety bleeping incompetent on so many levels it’s staggering.

dbb
    Participant

@jrenaut 72311 wrote:

It’s not really out of my way, but we fought and continue to fight for those cycletracks on PA Ave.

That is why I often find myself on Pennsylvania Ave as I ride from the 14th Street Bridge to L’Enfant Plaza. More bike traffic is better (more miles also)

OneEighth
    Participant

@jrenaut 72311 wrote:

It’s not really out of my way, but we fought and continue to fight for those cycletracks on PA Ave and I refuse to stop using them just because bleeping DDOT is bleepety bleeping incompetent on so many levels it’s staggering.

Wait…DC and incompetent in the same sentence?

JimK
    Participant

JimF: I just rode from Vienna to Ashburn and back. The trail is in good shape: no ice packs, but some moisture in the vicinity of Reston. The trail is almost perfectly clear and dry from Rt. 28 to Ashburn.

dbb
    Participant

@dbb 71466 wrote:

Just pulled the trigger on new wheels and studded tires. I am ready!

I am anticipating some sort of talisman effect, so winter may be over upon their delivery.

Crocus will be blooming on new years day.

Biggest impact will be to freezing saddles – no freezing. Sorry guys

From WJLA “Sunday – Cloudy. A chance of showers in the morning…then showers likely with a chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 70s.”

Am I good or what?

consularrider
    Participant

@dbb 72481 wrote:

From WJLA “Sunday – Cloudy. A chance of showers in the morning…then showers likely with a chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 70s.”

Am I good or what?

Don’t pat yourself on the back too hard, things go back to normal by Tuesday.

Viewing 11 posts - 136 through 146 (of 146 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.