December 2013 Trail Conditions

Our Community Forums Road and Trail Conditions December 2013 Trail Conditions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 146 total)
  • Author
    consularrider
    Participant

Monday, December 9
    I benefited from the two hour federal office opening delay, so I was not on my bike until 9:00am. I rode a combination of the W&OD from Ohio St to Shirlington Rd, the 4MRT extention from Shirlington Rd to Reagan National, and the MVT from Reagan-National to Rosslyn. For the most part the trails were clears with on a few icy patches. The exceptions were the bridges and overpasses. All were covered with about two inches of a slushy ice. The wooden bridges were the worst since the wooded under the ice was slicker than the concrete on the others. From Ohio St to Columbia pike there were only two bike tire tracks. From Columbia Pike to Shirlington Rd there were four bike tire tracks, and from Shirlington Rd to Rosslyn there were about eight or ten. I didn’t see any sign that anyone wiped out on the Roosevelt Island trollheim wooden walkway, but clearly some riders were able to hold their line better than others.

I doubt the icy slush on the bridges and overpasses will totally melt off and where it gets in the 20s tonight could refreeze into real ice and it will be very rough. And we have more winter storm weather coming through for Tuesday’s commute. Oh joy! Glad I put the studded tires on yesterday!

OneEighth
    Participant

The W&OD underpass at Wilson was underwater this morning. The bridges will all be challenging if they refreeze with all the ruts.

cyclingfool
    Participant

@consularrider 71370 wrote:

I doubt the icy slush on the bridges and overpasses will totally melt off and where it gets in the 20s tonight could refreeze into real ice and it will be very rough. And we have more winter storm weather coming through for Tuesday’s commute. Oh joy! Glad I put the studded tires on yesterday!

Yeah, whatever doesn’t melt and run off is potentially going to be a nasty mess by the overnight hours as it all freezes. I rode in my 2″ Schwalbe (non-studded) tires, and it was fine. The fat, heavy tire with a little tread is good for clearing a path through the slush, but it won’t do me much good if everything ices over tonight.

Freezing Saddles preseason training camp has begun. :D

dasgeh
    Participant

I was concerned about the trails today, and it sounds like I should be more so tomorrow. For the Arlington –> DC commute, there aren’t many ways to get to bridges without going on trails.

I decided to get to 2nd St S then go onto Fort Myer and fly down the hill in the cemetery. You are allowed to stay on road across the Memorial Bridge, but I don’t — the sidewalk/trail from the Metro Station and across the bridge was fine. Just a few slushy spots on the wooden walkways (as others noted in other threads). I’m not concerned about refreeze on those, so I’ll probably do the same tomorrow morning.

I believe the only other option is to use roads to get to the Key Bridge in Rosslyn.

It sounds like the TR Bridge, MVT to Rosslyn and Custis will be fine for the ride home, right?

*Tim, can you fix the title of the thread, please? Thx

consularrider
    Participant

@dasgeh 71395 wrote:

*Tim, can you fix the title of the thread, please? Thx

I guess I should have spent that extra two hours sleeping like Dismal so I would have been more alert and realized what year it is! ;)

TwoWheelsDC
    Participant

Custis was just wet, but the overpasses still had lots of slush, which could be nasty when covered in snow in the morning.

Dirt
    Participant

As of 8:30pm, pretty much every trail bridge I crossed was 2″ deep in thick slush and ice.

There are two large branches down west of Virginia Lane between Falls Church and Vienna.

OneEighth
    Participant

Overpasses by National were still slushy this evening.
    The concrete sections of 4MRT were slushy as well.
    The 14th Street Bridge, however, was clear.

Bilsko
    Participant

@OneEighth 71453 wrote:

Overpasses by National were still slushy this evening.
    The concrete sections of 4MRT were slushy as well.
    The 14th Street Bridge, however, was clear.

Much clearer than when I made the treacherous crossing this morning – right after waving “Hi” to you on Ohio Drive!

jopamora
    Participant

The Cap Crescent Trail had the same issues on the overpasses. Plus a big tree blocking the entire trail a little bit past the Georgetown trailhead.

oldbikechick
    Participant

@dasgeh 71395 wrote:

I was concerned about the trails today, and it sounds like I should be more so tomorrow. For the Arlington –> DC commute, there aren’t many ways to get to bridges without going on trails.

Took metro today since I usually only ride in the ice and snow by mistake (ie. sometimes I think the trail is clear and it isn’t). However, if there’s more than a day or so of snow, I get antsy and ride in the street, and to get from Arlington to DC, I take Fairfax/Clarendon to Rosslyn, cross 50 at N. Rhodes, follow along the rte 50 access road to the Netherlands Carillon and around along next to 110 up to the cemetery and over the memorial bridge to the mall. I’ve found that even when the Custis and MVT are not clear, this route is clear, except for one small section of trail along 110, which is not too treacherous and could even be walked if needed.

dbb
    Participant

Went out for a short ride along FMR and MVT about 0630. Started clear and dry then changed to freezing rain at DCA

Sleeping bag guy on FMR under a bridge.

Be careful out there

dbb
    Participant

Just pulled the trigger on new wheels and studded tires. I am ready!

I am anticipating some sort of talisman effect, so winter may be over upon their delivery.

Crocus will be blooming on new years day.

Biggest impact will be to freezing saddles – no freezing. Sorry guys

jrenaut
    Participant

Streets in Columbia Heights DC are just wet. It’s not even sticking to the sidewalks.

dkel
    Participant

I just rode my old Trek out to the WOD in Falls Church to see how things are shaping up. Many of you have more experience with these things than I, but I’m afraid that if this doesn’t melt off by sunset, it’s going to freeze into a horrible mess for tomorrow’s commute.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]4258[/ATTACH]
    Should I plan to ride on the streets to Vienna tomorrow? Should I…drive?!?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 146 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.