Crash on F Street Eastbound right after Eighth, NW

Our Community Forums Crashes, Close Calls and Incidents Crash on F Street Eastbound right after Eighth, NW

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    cvcalhoun
    Participant

@ShawnoftheDread 149569 wrote:

Glad you weren’t hurt. In light of the good outcome, you should speed up the video and add Yakkety Sax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Presumably not in the copies I gave the police. ;)

ShawnoftheDread
    Participant

@cvcalhoun 149570 wrote:

Presumably not in the copies I gave the police. ;)

I dunno, you’re the lawyer.

mstone
    Participant

black suv with md plates…

bentbike33
    Participant

@mstone 149573 wrote:

black suv with md War of 1812 plates…

fify

huskerdont
    Participant

@bentbike33 149574 wrote:

fify

It’s really the trifucta.

KLizotte
    Participant

I don’t understand why you didn’t stop, exchange info, and call the police right then and there? It would have been safe to do so and would have been expected if you were driving (something about leaving the scene of an accident…). If you can do so safely, I would greatly advise stopping if you have the misfortune of this happening again. If your camera hadn’t picked up the license number there is no way the police could have done anything about it.

The cameras have great pic quality. Will now have to check them out. More bling for the bike (possibly). Does make me wonder if people would drive more cautiously if all vehicles had cameras front/back (and little black boxes). I know self driving cars are coming but that is still quite a long ways off.

cvcalhoun
    Participant

@mstone 149573 wrote:

black suv with md plates…

@bentbike33 149574 wrote:

@mstone 149573 wrote:

black suv with md WAR OF 1812 plates…

fify

@huskerdont 149575 wrote:

It’s really the trifucta.

So if I merely have a grey SUV with Maryland plates (Bay plates, not War of 1812), I might be okay?

cvcalhoun
    Participant

@KLizotte 149576 wrote:

I don’t understand why you didn’t stop, exchange info, and call the police right then and there? It would have been safe to do so and would have been expected if you were driving (something about leaving the scene of an accident…). If you can do so safely, I would greatly advise stopping if you have the misfortune of this happening again. If your camera hadn’t picked up the license number there is no way the police could have done anything about it.

The cameras have great pic quality. Will now have to check them out. More bling for the bike (possibly). Does make me wonder if people would drive more cautiously if all vehicles had cameras front/back (and little black boxes). I know self driving cars are coming but that is still quite a long ways off.

I was a bit shaken up, and (probably mistakenly) was concerned about stopping in what seemed to me a lot of traffic.

The cameras are made by Cycliq. And they are great, if a bit pricy. They turn off an hour after a crash (measured by your bike falling over), so that you won’t accidentally overwrite the video evidence. And they double as a headlight and a tail light. I got mine after a friend suffered brain trauma in a bike accident, and thus was unable to tell the police what happened at all.

KLizotte
    Participant

@cvcalhoun 149578 wrote:

I was a bit shaken up, and (probably mistakenly) was concerned about stopping in what seemed to me a lot of traffic.

The cameras are made by Cycliq. And they are great, if a bit pricy. They turn off an hour after a crash (measured by your bike falling over), so that you won’t accidentally overwrite the video evidence. And they double as a headlight and a tail light. I got mine after a friend suffered brain trauma in a bike accident, and thus was unable to tell the police what happened at all.

Glad you are okay. I forgot that not everyone is as comfortable in traffic as I am; that area is not far from where I work so I’m very familiar with the area too.

I originally thought that the person stopped because he (or she) hit you. But then I realized it was probably just to check for damage to his vehicle. Sigh.

I rather doubt the police can issue a citation unless the person voluntarily admits to driving the car. It could have been anyone driving the vehicle which is why police can’t issue a citation unless the driver admits to the crime or the police witness it. Fingers crossed though.

mstone
    Participant

@KLizotte 149579 wrote:

I rather doubt the police can issue a citation unless the person voluntarily admits to driving the car

The thing is, most convictions are the result of confessions. You’d (like to) think people wouldn’t be that dumb, but they are. The number one thing is for the person handling your case to care enough to try.

huskerdont
    Participant

@cvcalhoun 149577 wrote:

So if I merely have a grey SUV with Maryland plates (Bay plates, not War of 1812), I might be okay?

I think Bay plates vs. 1812 make all the difference. :)

Seriously, it’s probably just confirmation bias, but black SUVs and War of 1812 plates always *seem* to correlate to dangerous driving. I’ve seen comments to that effect elsewhere. Of course, people blame Prius drivers for everything too and I haven’t noticed that to be especially valid.

cvcalhoun
    Participant

@KLizotte 149579 wrote:

Glad you are okay. I forgot that not everyone is as comfortable in traffic as I am; that area is not far from where I work so I’m very familiar with the area too.

I originally thought that the person stopped because he (or she) hit you. But then I realized it was probably just to check for damage to his vehicle. Sigh.

I rather doubt the police can issue a citation unless the person voluntarily admits to driving the car. It could have been anyone driving the vehicle which is why police can issue a citation unless the driver admits to the crime or the police witness it. Fingers crossed though.

Yeah, I’m mostly okay in traffic. (I bike every day in that area.) But I was shaken up by just having been hit, and not thinking clearly.

@mstone 149580 wrote:

The thing is, most convictions are the result of confessions. You’d (like to) think people wouldn’t be that dumb, but they are. The number one thing is for the person handling your case to care enough to try.

And honestly, if the person gets a call from the police, and/or hauled into court, and then not convicted, I’d be fine with it. Heck, if they come up with a plea bargain that avoids a conviction, I’ll vote for it myself. I want the driver to know that video cameras are out there, so s/he’ll be more cautious the next time, but the actual damage in this instance was minor (and probably mostly to the driver’s fender, as I untangled myself from it).

KLizotte
    Participant

@cvcalhoun 149582 wrote:

And honestly, if the person gets a call from the police, and/or hauled into court, and then not convicted, I’d be fine with it. Heck, if they come up with a plea bargain that avoids a conviction, I’ll vote for it myself. I want the driver to know that video cameras are out there, so s/he’ll be more cautious the next time, but the actual damage in this instance was minor (and probably mostly to the driver’s fender, as I untangled myself from it).

The driver will have the lesson reinforced if he/she remembers there are cameras and gets hit with a fine or points on their license. The person was probably looking at their phone which is a very scary prospect indeed!

Mariner
    Participant

Wow hope you’re ok CV. Looks like it was low-speed but there is always risk of hitting pavement and breaking something in those too. I like that cam, by the way. I use a Contour Roam 3 (two of them, front and rear).

cvcalhoun
    Participant

@Mariner 149584 wrote:

Wow hope you’re ok CV. Looks like it was low-speed but there is always risk of hitting pavement and breaking something in those too. I like that cam, by the way. I use a Contour Roam 3 (two of them, front and rear).

Yeah, I like the Cycliqs, because a) they will stop recording an hour after a crash, so you don’t accidentally overwrite the relevant video, and b) they include a headlight in the front one, and a tail light in the back one. I have another headlight, and two other tail lights, as well, but with as much riding as I do on a dark trail, I like to have backups. I had the hair raising experience of riding up the CCT after dark with no headlight once, and it’s not something I’d care to repeat! (And it would probably be worse today, as the deer have gotten used to me and no longer run away, so I’ve got to keep an eye out for them.)

But any camera is clearly better than none. I was certainly glad I had mine today!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.