Beware the US Park Police on Haines Point

Our Community Forums General Discussion Beware the US Park Police on Haines Point

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Tim Kelley
    Participant

DaveK in his culottes, and dbb with his signature backpack were spotted yesterday at Hains Point. I was flying low and stealth so only one of them saw me…

Mikey
    Participant

PP were monitoring Columbia Island Marina/LBJ park parking lot this morning around 8 on my ride through. I expected to be given a ticket for not stopping at the (non-existant) stopsign near the parking lot enterance, but biked through with no contact. Perhaps they are expanding their reign.

dbb
    Participant

@Tim Kelley 17574 wrote:

DaveK in his culottes, and dbb with his signature backpack were spotted yesterday at Hains Point. I was flying low and stealth so only one of them saw me…

Officer, I’d like to report a backpack impersonator. Based on yesterday’s discussion of the enhanced enforcement, I went somewhere else to ride.

It would be nice to see some the PP spend some of that enforcement energy on speed enforcement on the two inner Mall streets (Jefferson and Madison). Although the signs say 15, I regularly see cars passing me at 25 or so in the morning.

KLizotte
    Participant

@dbb 17582 wrote:

It would be nice to see some the PP spend some of that enforcement energy on speed enforcement on the two inner Mall streets (Jefferson and Madison). Although the signs say 15, I regularly see cars passing me at 25 or so in the morning.

I’d be thrilled if they simply enforced the speed limit on the GW Parkway, esp near the infamous crosswalks near Arlington Cemetary. Funny how you never see PP anywhere near the true trouble spots 😡

I pass by the Castle everyday on Jefferson and am always amazed by how many pedestrians use the crosswalk there (to cross to the Mall) without EVER looking to their left for traffic, I mean car traffic, not just bike traffic. The group tours are the worst.

dasgeh
    Participant

@KLizotte 17590 wrote:

I’d be thrilled if they simply enforced the speed limit on the GW Parkway, esp near the infamous crosswalks near Arlington Cemetary. Funny how you never see PP anywhere near the true trouble spots 😡

Oh, I see them _near_ the GWP crossing all the time — they park in the grass, under the trees South of Memorial Circle. I’m often tempted to walk over and ask them wtf they’re doing UNDER THE TREES, when there are 3 not-so-safe pedestrian crossings mere feet away. But I don’t want to get a ticket.

americancyclo
    Participant

@dasgeh 17598 wrote:

O ask them wtf they’re doing UNDER THE TREES,

argh, me too, I see that all the time when I ride home through the cemetery. What are they doing?

pfunkallstar
    Participant

In the morning one will occasionally hide inside the traffic circle between Memorial Bridge and Arlington Cemetery. Also, the patrol the TR Island Parking lot like a BOSS…that is without getting out of the car.

JimF22003
    Participant

They were out again at 4:00pm this evening. I rolled up to the stop sign, and came to a near-complete stop while standing on the pedals (closest to a track stand I can do.) The cop gave me a smirk as I went by, but didn’t stop me. I must have stopped long enough to pass muster.

DaveK
    Participant

@JimF22003 17612 wrote:

They were out again at 4:00pm this evening. I rolled up to the stop sign, and came to a near-complete stop while standing on the pedals (closest to a track stand I can do.) The cop gave me a smirk as I went by, but didn’t stop me. I must have stopped long enough to pass muster.

I saw a cop on a motorcycle give a track-standing cyclist a “nicely done” at the stop sign yesterday. I think many of them realize how pointless it is, but they’ve got bosses just like the rest of us.

rcannon100
    Participant

one [motorcycle cop] will occasionally hide inside the traffic circle between Memorial Bridge and Arlington Cemetery.

In lieu of an actual effective solution to the bad traffic design in the circle, the motorcycle cop must, at 9 am, move a bunch of wooden horses changing the traffic flow in the circle from its rush hour pattern. Might be why the motorcycle cop is sitting there, if its just before 9. I guarantee you its not to make the situation safer or to enforce any traffic rules.

MCL1981
    Participant

@americancyclo 17600 wrote:

argh, me too, I see that all the time when I ride home through the cemetery. What are they doing?

Most likely, paperwork.

DaveK
    Participant

@MCL1981 17616 wrote:

Most likely, paperwork.

From my observation, texting/Facebook/Twitter… the Capitol Police at East Cap and 2nd seem to be more YouTube guys.

americancyclo
    Participant

@pfunkallstar 17609 wrote:

In the morning one will occasionally hide inside the traffic circle between Memorial Bridge and Arlington Cemetery. Also, the patrol the TR Island Parking lot like a BOSS…that is without getting out of the car.

I’ve seen the way that guy sips coffee in his car. It’s no joke.

Mark Blacknell
    Participant

Just continuing the National Park Service Capital Area tradition of prioritizing cars and being indifferent – at best – to the needs of all other users. I’d let your Congressman know how unhappy you are with the NPS’ operations. Rep. Moran & Connelly’s offices are aware of some of the problems, but additional voices could certainly help.

Finally, if you’re so inclined, you could ask NPS Superintendent Jarvis to square his recent claim (at the National Bike Summit) that the NPS supports cycling with the actions of his people on the ground.

The National Park Service, in my view, is one of the biggest institutional obstacles to safe cycling in the region. Shameful doesn’t begin to describe it.

baiskeli
    Participant

@pfunkallstar 17609 wrote:

They are waiting there for a suspect to crash a car after a long police chase.

http://www.arlnow.com/2012/04/05/accident-on-memorial-circle-causes-backups/

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.