Better to say something? Or keep quiet?

Our Community Forums General Discussion Better to say something? Or keep quiet?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Geoff
    Participant

I think about safety on the trails a lot; many times I have seen an accident, or narrowly avoided one, or nearly caused one and was only saved by the other guy’s vigilance. And I was door’ed earlier this week.

This morning I was on the Custis, on the downward slope into Rosslyn, and stopped for a red light. Full disclosure: if the coast had been clear, I would have crossed against the light. But the coast was not clear. Another cyclist coming up from Rosslyn crossed against the light in front of the car. Nothing bad happened, no horn, no squeal of brakes. But I said to the guy “Dangerous!” as he passed me. I didn’t quite hear his reply but it sounded like a quaint colloquialism for “Mind your own business.”

What do you think? Better to speak up or keep quiet?

jrenaut
    Participant

Speak up. Be polite. Most people will ignore you, but maybe you’ll get through to someone.

dasgeh
    Participant

We talk about this a lot – whether to speak or not – and personally, I’ve come to the realization that people are not receptive when they’re defensive. So trying to be disarming is the most effective, which is nearly impossible in most of the situations we find ourselves in (like a rider riding away in the opposite direction). In your example, an appropriately timed “whoa” may have been enough to get his attention. But almost being hit by a car should have done well to get his attention too.

Out of curiosity, why do you run reds on the Custis? We talk a lot about that here, too, and we don’t hear often from people who run them.

mstone
    Participant

I say something if they’re endangering someone else. If they’re endangering only themselves, that’s their business.

TwoWheelsDC
    Participant

@dasgeh 71026 wrote:

Out of curiosity, why do you run reds on the Custis? We talk a lot about that here, too, and we don’t hear often from people who run them.

Eh, I run most of them after slowing and ensuring no cars are coming (as do probably 90% of riders, in my experience). I absolutely will not jump the light at Lynn, however. But at Fort Meyer, the last 10 seconds of the signal are timed in such a way that there aren’t any cars going through the intersection, so I jump that since it helps make sure you get to Lynn right as the LPI activates, meaning there’s less chance a car will be entering the intersection (turning right off the offramp) at the same time I am.

JorgeGortex
    Participant

@dasgeh 71026 wrote:

I can only speak for myself, but I will run a red if no one is around. I’d call it a “orange light.” I slow way down, look all ways and if there are no approaching vehicles within a block I will consider it. This only works if I have a clear view in all directions. If I can’t clearly check off each of those points I stop and wait for the light to change. Maybe it goes to the “if a tree falls in the forest…” way of thinking.

JG

Geoff
    Participant

@dasgeh 71026 wrote:

A fair question. If the coast is truly clear, it seems silly to wait. And I am used to lights that will never change unless something larger than a bike activates the switch.

Having justified myself, if most people here have the same reaction to me that I had to the fellow this morning, I’ll reconsider my ways.

consularrider
    Participant

@dasgeh 71026 wrote:

… Out of curiosity, why do you run reds on the Custis? We talk a lot about that here, too, and we don’t hear often from people who run them.

Since I almost never see anyone stop and wait through a red light cycle on the Custis at Scott, Oak, or Nash when there are no cars, people aren’t being honest.

TwoWheelsDC
    Participant

@consularrider 71039 wrote:

Since I almost never see anyone stop and wait through a red light cycle on the Custis at Scott, Oak, or Nash when there are no cars, people aren’t being honest.

I often find that, on the rare occasions I do see people stop, the people who initially stop end up jumping the light after getting passed by other riders that don’t stop.

guga31bb
    Participant

@consularrider 71039 wrote:

This section is part of my daily commute and I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone stop and wait for the light to turn green at Oak or Nash without cars present. Even at Scott waiting is pretty rare.

pfunkallstar
    Participant

@guga31bb 71046 wrote:

This section is part of my daily commute and I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone stop and wait for the light to turn green at Oak or Nash without cars present. Even at Scott waiting is pretty rare.

I’ve noted the same. Now the people who fly through Ft. Myer and Lynn – that is just a death wish.

dasgeh
    Participant

@guga31bb 71046 wrote:

I stop. Every time. And I wait through the light. Every time.

Why? Mostly, it’s because I realize that I depend on those red lights to keep me safe when I have green, so I’ll respect the design when I have red. Also, it never adds much to my commute. I know the timing of the lights – if I wait at one, I’ll hit the others green. Plus, there’s the whole cyclist image thing — not that I’m green enough to think I can change it single-handedly, but I hope that cyclists see me stopped and think for a minute about what they’re doing. And I hope drivers see me stopped and think “hey, there’s a cyclist”, because maybe then they will SEE CYCLISTS.

It does make me sad to read on this forum, with so many experienced riders who think about riding style, that they jump reds.

I usually get passed by others as I wait at the light. Maybe 10% of the time(?) someone waits behind me. I’m not sure the last time I came up behind someone already waiting. Another 10% of the time (?), someone waits behind me for a bit (longer than it takes for the cars to clear) then jumps the light. I find this to be the silliest behavior because by that point the counter tells you that it’s about to turn green. Jumping a light with 5 seconds left just seems silly — you’ve just confirmed the whole “cyclists are scofflaws” image and put yourself in danger (because a car could come around a corner) for 5 seconds?!?!? But I try to channel my inner Dirt.

Going downhill, jumping the light at Nash is particularly silly, as you’ll get caught by the light at Fort Myer. You may think those last seconds of red at Fort Myer are safe to go, but during that time, cars turning onto NB GWMP have green, and sometimes they basically make a U-turn and come screaming down Fort Myer to make that light. I’ve seen a couple close calls from cyclists assuming the coast was clear. Also, you can get to the leading signal at Lynn with just a little effort. So much safer to just wait.

So wave next time you pass me as I wait for a light. I’ll be the one waiting for the light (with the yellow bike, yellow handlebar tape, panniers…). Or better yet, stop and say hi ;-)

dasgeh
    Participant

So for the stop-and-run-the-red-if-the-coast-is-clear people, do you do that in a car? Why on a bike and not in a car?

CaseyKane50
    Participant

I stop for red lights more than 90% of the time. The exceptions are early in the morning (crossing Duke Street at West Street) or when I know the light won’t change for me (Seminary and Howard). In those instances I do go through a red, it is always after stopping and confirming there is no traffic coming in any direction. At

TwoWheelsDC
    Participant

@dasgeh 71057 wrote:

So for the stop-and-run-the-red-if-the-coast-is-clear people, do you do that in a car? Why on a bike and not in a car?

I guess my follow-up is, why is there not similar outrage directed at jaywalkers? It’s no different and yet many of the same people who rail against bikes jumping lights will jaywalk without a second thought.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.