BAFS 2019 General Info Sticky

Our Community Forums Freezing Saddles Winter Riding Competition BAFS 2019 General Info Sticky

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    jrenaut
    Participant

@hozn 183701 wrote:

Yeah, he just told me this AM. I am shocked! He must have misread that as a daily-mileage minimum.

Bring me a 6 pack of good beer and I’ll consider hacking the back end to exempt you from the mileage cap.

Bob James
    Participant

@AlanA 183575 wrote:

And one final note, I think the 1 mile sleaze ride is quite bogus. I’ve certainly done it in the past, but what does it really accomplish? A person riding one mile around their neighborhood in awful weather (or while they are sick) is not promoting anything of value.

Many live within 1 mile to a 7-11, or other convenience type store. Instead of riding around in a circle for a mile, ride to one for a doughnut, coffee, hot cocoa, etc…. People will see you out promoting riding and you’ll be helping the economy to boot.

peterw_diy
    Participant

@AlanA 183575 wrote:

…I seem to recall that the whole point of this challenge when it started was to promote daily commuters.

…what does it really accomplish? A person riding one mile around their neighborhood in awful weather (or while they are sick) is not promoting anything of value.

Isn’t this when rcannon100 jumps in to assert there is no point to this?

rcannon100
    Participant

ZZZZZZZZZ, huh…. what???

“There’s no point to this!”

ZZZZZZZZZZZ

rcannon100
    Participant

But Peter’s write. FS was an idiotic game played between friends during winter riding months. It did not “promote” anything. Those who impute ulterior motives are merely projecting their own agendas where they simply did not exist. FS was a game between friends. Nothing more.

ericoperageek
    Participant

Looking forward to some good riding this season!

bikingjenn
    Participant

I want to post a “thanks” to this thread but I am not sure how to do that. Forum-inept user

cvcalhoun
    Participant

@bikingjenn 184451 wrote:

I want to post a “thanks” to this thread but I am not sure how to do that. Forum-inept user

You managed!

camiller
    Participant

@TwoWheelsDC 183606 wrote:

Only if you assume no one would ride ~1 mile for anything, which is definitely not the case. The 1-mile rule incentivizes people to take a bike when they may not otherwise, like taking CaBi instead of Metro or a Lyft or whatever. While the 1-mile rule does enable the type of “sleaze” rides to which you are referring, I think you’d be surprised at the number of 1-ish mile rides in FS that are people using bikes to complete everyday tasks.

Sometimes I just need a “kick” to get out the door and on to my bike. The “sleaze” rides have given me incentive to get out and many times I end up riding longer than I planned because I was just having fun. Having that incentive has taught me that I can enjoy riding in “winter weather”.

sszibler
    Participant

My suggestion would be to consider upping the cap to 200 or 150. That would make ringers a little more relevant to teams, challenge most people, but not make some teams always win from outliers. An even bigger issue for me was distribution of ringers. There were teams with only one and other teams with three (if I remember correctly). Just an unrequested thought :p Maybe that’s hard to control. But a cap seems like a partial solution so I don’t hate it. Thinking out loud. Oh, I don’t know . . .

LhasaCM
    Participant

Since the teams have already been established, I think it’s a bit late to consider re-revising the rules. Maybe something for next year after we see how this all plays out…

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

dbehrend
    Participant

@Henry 182997 wrote:

1) Scoring: Some slight changes were made to try to tighten up the Team Competition. These, of course, are again subject to change in future years!!!

•10 points for each day of 1 mile+ (same as before)
    •1 point per mile (same as before)
    •Team contribution per individual capped at 100 miles per week. A week is Monday-Sunday. Partial weeks at beginning and end also have 100 miles cap on team contribution.
    •Individual rankings remain the same with no cap on the individual mileage on scoreboard.
    So the max someone can contribute to their team is 170 points per week. If they miss a day but still ride 100 miles, they get 160 points.

Could someone clarify whether the cap is applied each week or across the number of weeks in the competition (e.g., If one rides 7 days and 70 miles one week and 7 days and 130 the next, would they earn 310 points or 340)?

Hancockbs
    Participant

@dbehrend 185155 wrote:

Could someone clarify whether the cap is applied each week or across the number of weeks in the competition (e.g., If one rides 7 days and 70 miles one week and 7 days and 130 the next, would they earn 310 points or 340)?

The rules indicate the cap runs Monday through Sunday, so I’m fairly certain it is a weekly limit and not an average or total over the entire time

rcannon100
    Participant

No no no. The cap only applies to Subby and Vin.

EDITED: Oh yes, and Bruce.

chuxtr
    Participant

@Hancockbs 185160 wrote:

The rules indicate the cap runs Monday through Sunday, so I’m fairly certain it is a weekly limit and not an average or total over the entire time

That is a correct. It is a weekly limit based on the Strava Monday through Sunday ride week. In the case of the first week of FS, the ride week is Tuesday through Sunday but you can still get credit for 100 miles. Ditto for the last week of FS, which is just two days.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.