August 2015 Trail and Road Conditiona

Our Community Forums Road and Trail Conditions August 2015 Trail and Road Conditiona

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    consularrider
    Participant

‘Cause the paving conditions here in Kyiv are so bad, I want you all to be able to commiserate with me. ;)

DCAKen
    Participant

Sometimes, my kvetching to the Rock Creek Park superintendent actually results in something getting done. Yesterday, I asked to have the vegetation along the paved trail trimmed back.

There are numerous spots along the hiker/biker path where the vegetation is overgrowing the pavement and needs to be pruned back. While the grass between the trail and the road regularly gets cut, the bigger bushes, shrubs, and trees never get trimmed. There are three main locations where the encroaching vegetation is making the available width of the trail even narrower than it already is.

The first spot is under the Duke Ellington Bridge (Calvert Street). The attached photo (taken from a camera mounted on my bike) shows a runner stopping to let me by. At this point, I’m as far right on the available pavement as I can get without going into the mud. You can see where the runner is standing well on the pavement but in the leaves and branches of the shrubbery.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]9274[/ATTACH]

The next section is along the zoo fence between the Beach Drive entrance and the Klingle Road bridge where the bamboo growing along the fence is squeezing the trail. I often encounter people heading south who are forced to the left side of the trail to avoid getting hit by the bamboo branches.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]9275[/ATTACH]

Another section is between the Porter Street ramp from Beach Drive and the Bluff Bridge where the trail crosses the creek. This section rarely gets cut and is overgrown for most of the summer.

I regularly see the grass getting cut in the park and have even seen the maintenance men trimming the grass along the road’s curb. It’s frustrating to see this beautification being done to the roadway every two or three weeks without the same effort going into the more important work of maintaining a safe and usable trail.

And today, I received a response.

Thank you for reporting this. A work order has been created by Maintenance at Rock Creek Park and they plan to go out and address this problem soon.

I just wish they would respond to my requests to clear all the mud and sand off the trail.

bobco85
    Participant

Beauregard St between Route 7 and Branch Ave as of today has been repaved on both sides. This is the section that had gotten so worn down and bumpy that it was a danger when trying to ride in traffic. Now, it’s nice and smooth, but no paint (including the sharrows) has been put on it just yet.

George Mason Dr between Dinwiddie St/Hamilton Dr and Columbus St is still milled down (watch for manhole covers as they are now big mounds), so I look forward to going down the hill when it is repaved.

bobco85
    Participant

@bobco85 121685 wrote:

George Mason Dr between Dinwiddie St/Hamilton Dr and Columbus St is still milled down (watch for manhole covers as they are now big mounds), so I look forward to going down the hill when it is repaved.

Quick update: both lanes heading toward Columbus St and the right lane heading toward Dinwiddie/Hamilton have been repaved and are nice and smooth. Be careful, though, because drivers will likely try to crowd you out of the smooth right lane.

Steve O
    Participant

No detours yet on Custis at 8:15 this morning, but I saw one work crew getting staged. The trail has lots of paint marks indicating where they will be cutting it up I presume.

Greenbelt
    Participant

New lane paint on 4th street NE at Mass Ave
    11802557_878325345567517_221922163709396981_o.jpg
    And in the extented 1st street NE protected two-way bike lane by Union Station
    11865005_878325245567527_8289965192759434350_o.jpg
    11864883_878325232234195_8998932051151323386_o.jpg

KLizotte
    Participant

Sweet!

DismalScientist
    Participant

Custis is closed Harrison to George Mason. Posted detour is 10th Street.

Steve O
    Participant

@DismalScientist 121949 wrote:

Custis is closed Harrison to George Mason. Posted detour is 10th Street (I think).

Detour is well marked and pretty much on quiet side streets.

DrP
    Participant

Custis detour is well marked if you are on the Custis already. However, if your usual entry point is on Harrison or Frederick, there is no indication until you get to the trail itself, although you may notice a detour sign from the side as you whiz past them going down hill to the trail. I did only get close enough on Harrison to notice that there was no closure on the eastern access trail entrance at Harrison St so there may have been one before actually at the trail, but you would still enter the access trail before you had knowledge, especially if you were coming northbound on Harrison. I looked down Frederick St as I passed and saw no signage until the trail itself. Signs southbound on Harrison and Frederick just before 10th about using 10th for the detail would be useful.

Bobcats or the like in the cul de sac at Aberdeen, so perhaps they will be starting the second portion today?

TwoWheelsDC
    Participant

Looks like Westmoreland milling/paving starts today and runs the entire week. I rode through before work had actually started, but lots of signs were sitting along the road. Guess this means I’ll be getting some extra climbing going over Powhatan instead….

TwoWheelsDC
    Participant

The GWMP offramp to Key Bridge is going to be closed all next week…one less worry for Key Bridge bike/ped users, so enjoy it while it lasts!

https://www.arlnow.com/2015/08/21/gw-parkway-ramp-to-key-bridge-closed-next-week/

Starting Monday morning, commuters will have to find an alternate route to get from the GW Parkway to the Key Bridge.

National Park Service will close the ramp from southbound GW Parkway to Key Bridge starting before rush hour Monday morning and running through Friday, Aug. 28. The ramp will reopen Saturday morning, said NPS spokesman Aaron LaRocca.

NPS will be replacing the entire surface of the ramp while it is closed. The repairs include milling the road, replacing gravel and overlaying with asphalt.

There will be no detours. NPS advises commuters to find alternate routes and to expect delays.

KWL
    Participant

@TwoWheelsDC 122646 wrote:

The GWMP offramp to Key Bridge is going to be closed all next week…one less worry for Key Bridge bike/ped users, so enjoy it while it lasts!

The only time I’ve been hit by a car (well, really just nudged by a car) is at that crossing. I’m happy to see this.

dbb
    Participant

Inlet bridge (crossing the inlet to the Tidal Basin from the Potomac) is no longer asphalt! It was open this morning and is now concrete with no street moguls.

Thanks NPS!

Inlet%20Bridge%2020150824%202_zpsvbyrlsce.jpg

Powerful Pete
    Participant

Will almost miss those fun, fun, fun moguls on that bridge!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.