Any Opinions on Bike Mirrors?

Our Community Forums Bikes & Equipment Any Opinions on Bike Mirrors?

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    mstone
    Participant

unless you’re cast in bronze, the mirror will never be adjusted perfectly to see anything behind you at all times. you get it close, and then move your head a little bit to check behind.

GovernorSilver
    Participant

I currently use this one. Wide field of vision, easy to adjust on the fly yet stays in position, and is zip-tied to the helmet (no adhesive).

https://www.efficientvelo.com/home/safezone/

Steve O
    Participant

@mstone 158692 wrote:

unless you’re cast in bronze, the mirror will never be adjusted perfectly to see anything behind you at all times. you get it close, and then move your head a little bit to check behind.

Yes, just like with a car, although you only need to move your head a little bit. Mine is attached to my sunglasses, not my visor. I don’t know if visor mounting moves it farther from the eye and harder to adjust. They make a helmet mount, but I’ve never used one.
    I adjust mine so that just the slightest bit of my ear and part of my shoulder are visible while I’m riding. When I swivel my eyeball towards the mirror, I move my head slightly to optimize the field of view. After using the mirror for a long time, all of this has become automatic.
    YMMV, but keep fiddling with it until you find what works for you.

KLizotte
    Participant

I consider my helmet mirror to be as important as the helmet for safety equipment. I’m absolutely amazed (and appalled) that more people don’t use mirrors. I know they are considered dorky but a mirror can really save your butt and make you less of an annoying cyclist. I am always checking what is happening behind me and make adjustments accordingly. Sometimes I will take the lane and sometimes I will move over far to the right to let someone pass depending on who or what is approaching. It also means I can see people coming up on the trails who don’t call passes.

This is the one I’ve used for years: https://www.amazon.com/Third-Eye-Helmet-Bicycle-Mirror/dp/B0012OKA6M/ref=sr_1_17?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1492563503&sr=1-17&keywords=helmet+mirror

I’ve never had one fall off so the sticky part is really sticky. I’ve broken a couple but that was due to sheer stupidity on my part (don’t ask). While I’m careful-ish with my mirror when carrying my helmet I’ve found it to be remarkably durable, esp for $10.

Because the mirror moves when I place the helmet on a table or hang it on a wall I have to readjust it every time I ride but I’m so used to the process that it takes me all of two seconds while riding. I spend more time getting my GPS set up. It’s easier to adjust while riding than when standing.

My preferred mirror positions requires that I glance up a little bit and look slightly to the left. Note that these motions are slight and I’m not in a terribly aero position. Also, I see a little bit of my left ear and a little bit of my shoulder. Once you figure out a comfortable head position for looking into the mirror you will learn how to adjust the mirror so quickly and easily you won’t even think about it. Give it a couple of weeks.

Most of the time you will be able to see all that you need with a slight head movement; occasionally, like going around tight curves or if you want to see a chasing dog you may have to move your head differently to get the mirror into the correct position. But this becomes very easy to do with practice. I still look after my shoulder in some situations “just in case” but mostly just rely on the mirror. I feel like I’m losing out on a lot of situational awareness on those rare occasions when I ride without it (like forgetting my helmet).

I think I’ve only ever used the mirror I linked above. I don’t know if others are easier or harder to use but I suspect it’s more a matter of how easy is it to adjust the mirror (e.g., stiffness) and practice.

Good luck!

P.S. I’ve often wondered why the heavy ped users of the MUTs don’t attach mirrors to their hats or glasses. Seems like it would make walking/running less stressful (and hazardous).

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.