Angry cyclist

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Zack
    Participant

Hi all, does anyone know this guy in the photo? It looks like he lives somewhere in Del Ray. [ATTACH=CONFIG]15817[/ATTACH] He made an unsafe pass on the 14th St Bridge, right on the approach path where it was narrow and near some people walking[ATTACH=CONFIG]15818[/ATTACH], and I called him on it using a choice word (yes, this was dumb in hindsight).

Not recognizing the gravity of the situation (again dumb), I wished him a safe ride when he turned off Commonwealth onto the Mt Jefferson Park Trail and then he reappeared at the Commonwealth light and threatened to beat me up. I have a full video but thought I would throw up a picture first. I expect this kind of crap people who drive but I have never encountered if from anyone who bikes.

Sunyata
    Participant

I do not know his identity, but I am 98% sure that is the same guy (pretty unique bike set up) that passed me on the trail near Commonwealth Blvd without calling his pass. He then immediately slowed down in front of me after we both turned onto Commonwealth, so I rang my bell and passed him back. He then got upset, passed me again and SPIT ON ME. 😡

I really REALLY channeled my inner Dirt that day and luckily, I turned off on Glebe while he kept on Commonwealth.

Zack
    Participant

@Sunyata 169251 wrote:

I do not know his identity, but I am 98% sure that is the same guy (pretty unique bike set up) that passed me on the trail near Commonwealth Blvd without calling his pass. He then immediately slowed down in front of me after we both turned onto Commonwealth, so I rang my bell and passed him back. He then got upset, passed me again and SPIT ON ME. 😡

I really REALLY channeled my inner Dirt that day and luckily, I turned off on Glebe while he kept on Commonwealth.

Oh my goodness, that is crazy! What kind of person does that? Did you report him to the police? The same thing happen with passing happened to me, he was in front but slowed way down so I passed and then he followed close for a while before passing me back.

streetsmarts
    Participant

@Sunyata 169251 wrote:

unf*ing believable!! hooray for channeling your inner Dirt!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sunyata
    Participant

@Zack 169254 wrote:

Oh my goodness, that is crazy! What kind of person does that? Did you report him to the police? The same thing happen with passing happened to me, he was in front but slowed way down so I passed and then he followed close for a while before passing me back.

Yeah… I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt and pretended that he must have just had a really bad day and was not paying attention to what was going on around him. But it REALLY made me angry. Had I not almost immediately turned off Commonwealth, I probably would have chased him down and gave him a lesson in respect and manners. But I did turn off and kept thinking to myself, “what would Dirt do?”

I have been making a conscious effort to not let things bother me as much as they usually do and to immediately let go of stress and anger when a person does something that I consider rude or unsafe. Amazingly, it has actually made my life a little less stressful, which is a REALLY good thing considering the changes in my work environment lately. :)

n18
    Participant

Cyclists who have cars with “Don’t tread on me” license plates should put the same sign on shirt or bike as drivers with said signs behave as if it’s short for “Don’t tread on me, I am the only one who’s allowed to tread on everyone else.”

sjclaeys
    Participant

@n18 169359 wrote:

Cyclists who have cars with “Don’t tread on me” license plates should put the same sign on shirt or bike as drivers with said signs behave as if it’s short for “Don’t tread on me, I am the only one who’s allowed to tread on everyone else.”

What about those who have cars with “Coexist” bumper stickers but don’t like to coexist with cyclists on the road?

ShawnoftheDread
    Participant

Awesome non sequiter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcannon100
    Participant

@sjclaeys 169361 wrote:

What about those who have cars with “Coexist” bumper stickers but don’t like to coexist with cyclists on the road?

What about cyclists with “Freezing Saddles” reflective green tags but who ride their bikes in the Caribbean during winter break?

Robbie Rob
    Participant

@Zack 169231 wrote:

Hi all, does anyone know this guy in the photo? It looks like he lives somewhere in Del Ray. [ATTACH=CONFIG]15817[/ATTACH] He made an unsafe pass on the 14th St Bridge, right on the approach path where it was narrow and near some people walking[ATTACH=CONFIG]15818[/ATTACH], and I called him on it using a choice word (yes, this was dumb in hindsight).

Not recognizing the gravity of the situation (again dumb), I wished him a safe ride when he turned off Commonwealth onto the Mt Jefferson Park Trail and then he reappeared at the Commonwealth light and threatened to beat me up. I have a full video but thought I would throw up a picture first. I expect this kind of crap people who drive but I have never encountered if from anyone who bikes.

OMG! I guess you can hurt by a driver or a cyclist. It’s that “me first mentality!” Be safe.

ursus
    Participant

I wonder if this is somehow connected. It looks like the same place. 😮 https://twitter.com/Wash_cycle/status/938493647087198208

Seriously, does anyone know if there was really a murder there, or just the dockless bike?

Vicegrip
    Participant

@Sunyata 169251 wrote:

I might not have been able to call up enough Dirt to keep him out of the dirt.

No call to spit on anyone more so on nice people like you.

musclys
    Participant

@ursus 169367 wrote:

I wonder if this is somehow connected. It looks like the same place. 😮 https://twitter.com/Wash_cycle/status/938493647087198208

Seriously, does anyone know if there was really a murder there, or just the dockless bike?

I’d like to murder every inconsiderately parked dockless bike I see. Is that an option?

And just to be clear … I’m not The Angry Cyclist.

Zack
    Participant

@ursus 169367 wrote:

No, definitely not the same place and unlikely unconnected. Commonwealth Ave and Mt Vernon Ave in Del Ray, Alexandria.

Zack
    Participant

@Sunyata 169324 wrote:

Yeah… I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt and pretended that he must have just had a really bad day and was not paying attention to what was going on around him. But it REALLY made me angry. Had I not almost immediately turned off Commonwealth, I probably would have chased him down and gave him a lesson in respect and manners. But I did turn off and kept thinking to myself, “what would Dirt do?”

I have been making a conscious effort to not let things bother me as much as they usually do and to immediately let go of stress and anger when a person does something that I consider rude or unsafe. Amazingly, it has actually made my life a little less stressful, which is a REALLY good thing considering the changes in my work environment lately. :)

Give yourself a pat on the back because that was a really good call not to chase him down! When he was shouting at me, it was then clear he was nuts, perceiving slights where there were none etc, and threatened physical escalation. In your case, he had no problem committing assault (spitting). Who knows what he would have done when confronted.

Conscious effort seems like a good idea, I will try the same thing, thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.