PDA

View Full Version : Pit Stop Choice?

Rockford10
03-27-2014, 12:30 PM
Like many others, I picked a pit stop last year and then visited several others on BTWD. Besides the specific swag or general convenience of the Pit Stop one chooses to pick up her shirt and free water bottle, is there a reason to pick one official pit stop over another? Does the official selection send some sort of message to organizers?

My choice is between Tysons and Falls Church City. While I would like to promote bike commuting to Tysons, that's been, in the past two years, a bit of a loser stop. On the other hand, I want to promote the bike (and non-car) infrastructure in Falls Church and that one has traditionally been my official stop.

Thoughts? I suspect neither choice will make much of a difference, but I'd like to at least try!

Tim Kelley
03-27-2014, 12:39 PM
Like many others, I picked a pit stop last year and then visited several others on BTWD. Besides the specific swag or general convenience of the Pit Stop one chooses to pick up her shirt and free water bottle, is there a reason to pick one official pit stop over another? Does the official selection send some sort of message to organizers?

My choice is between Tysons and Falls Church City. While I would like to promote bike commuting to Tysons, that's been, in the past two years, a bit of a loser stop. On the other hand, I want to promote the bike (and non-car) infrastructure in Falls Church and that one has traditionally been my official stop.

Thoughts? I suspect neither choice will make much of a difference, but I'd like to at least try!

It doesn't really matter. The most important thing is that you register somewhere, so that you're counted as a participant and so that you know where to get your t-shirt. That being said, it's a point of pride for some pit stop organizers to have a high turnout numbers. Arlington has frequently had some of the most registrants at our stops, so that's why I'd recommend you register at Rosslyn :-)

(FYI--last year Tysons had 83 registrants and Falls Church had 262.)

DismalScientist
03-27-2014, 12:57 PM
Since you can stop at any pit stop to get swag, my strategy would be to choose to register at a pit stop that is giving away a bicycle. Once you determine which do that, choose the pit stop that you think will have the least number of registrants to maximize your chance of winning. Then, just go to the stops with the best swag although you have to go to the stop for which you register to get the t-shirt if you want it.

Rockford10
03-28-2014, 02:26 PM
Done - I registered at Falls Church. Maybe I'll make it out to Rosslyn, then Falls Church, Merrifield, Vienna, and Tysons this year? That's going to take a while.

We've got enough bikes in the garage as it is, I don't need to try and win a bicycle! Although, I could really use a bike with two inflated tires right now...

dkel
03-28-2014, 02:38 PM
We've got enough bikes in the garage as it is, I don't need to try and win a bicycle!

As your HUSBAND, I take issue with this post!! Ladies and gentlemen, if you've ever wondered about the validity of the n+1 vs. s-1 debate, HERE'S THE PROOF!!

dkel
03-28-2014, 03:51 PM
As your HUSBAND, I take issue with this post!! Ladies and gentlemen, if you've ever wondered about the validity of the n+1 vs. s-1 debate, HERE'S THE PROOF!!

That sounded a little more harsh than humorous, I'm afraid. I should have added one of these: :) or one of these: :p. Instead, I'll add one of these: :o.

(Love you, Rockford!)

cvcalhoun
03-30-2014, 11:18 PM
How do you figure out which ones are giving away bicycles, and/or which ones are likely to have the fewest registrants?

Since you can stop at any pit stop to get swag, my strategy would be to choose to register at a pit stop that is giving away a bicycle. Once you determine which do that, choose the pit stop that you think will have the least number of registrants to maximize your chance of winning. Then, just go to the stops with the best swag although you have to go to the stop for which you register to get the t-shirt if you want it.

Dickie
03-31-2014, 06:22 AM
If you two don't stop bickering I'm gonna have to stop this car.... errr bike... and turn around :-)

Rod Smith
03-31-2014, 06:38 AM
I should support my local stop which has usually has good stuff to eat, but I decided to sign up for Greenbelt (the city) pitstop so I can get extra miles. :) Last year I almost made it out there when I joined Greenbelt (the venerated member) and his convoy as they crossed over the beltway. I rode a metric century that day, my longest trailer hauling day so far.

I don't think there are any bike give aways on this side of the city. :confused:

rcannon100
03-31-2014, 06:41 AM
Giving away bicycle ~ but I think you have to be present at the pit stop at the time of the drawing to win????

Also, consider volunteering.

Rod Smith
03-31-2014, 07:48 AM
Hmm, that gives me an idea. I think I will volunteer to transport food or swag to a pitstop by bicycle trailer.

DismalScientist
03-31-2014, 08:24 AM
It looks like 6 bikes will be raffled independent of pit stop.

Last year, various bike shops hosted specific pit stops and raffled bikes at those specific stops. I think they may have been Rosslyn, Ballston and East Falls Church.

Tim Kelley
03-31-2014, 08:40 AM
Last year, various bike shops hosted specific pit stops and raffled bikes at those specific stops. I think they may have been Rosslyn, Ballston and East Falls Church.

Last year, BikeArlington raffled off the bikes at Rosslyn, Ballston, and EFC. We won't be doing that again this year as it didn't seem to be that big of a draw in garnering registrants (and the misconception that it was the shops giving away the bikes). Also, the winners happened to already be committed bikers. This year we want to have more "medium" sized prizes to help spread the wealth.

chris_s
03-31-2014, 11:06 AM
This year we want to have more "medium" sized prizes to help spread the wealth.

More socks!

Tim Kelley
03-31-2014, 11:08 AM
More socks!

We only have two versions--did you already wear holes in yours?

dasgeh
03-31-2014, 11:21 AM

I, for one, like to have more than one pair...

Tim Kelley
03-31-2014, 11:25 AM
I, for one, like to have more than one pair...

Cyclists. You give them an inch and they want a mile, or at least another pair of socks.

Don't worry, we'll have some socks.

chris_s
03-31-2014, 12:46 PM

Oddly enough, despite have something like 2 cowbells, 4 ankle straps and 5 bags, I've never received a single pair of BikeArlington socks.

dasgeh
03-31-2014, 01:00 PM
Oddly enough, despite have something like 2 cowbells, 4 ankle straps and 5 bags, I've never received a single pair of BikeArlington socks.

This might be because BikeArlington doesn't contribute socks to KidicalMass Arlington. Maybe new for 2014?

Tim Kelley
03-31-2014, 02:10 PM
This might be because BikeArlington doesn't contribute socks to KidicalMass Arlington. Maybe new for 2014?

They don't come in kid's sizes. :-(

rcannon100
03-31-2014, 02:14 PM
Maybe a store could be set up where people could buy all the socks they want?

dasgeh
03-31-2014, 02:45 PM
They don't come in kid's sizes. :-(

That's what's so great about Kidical Mass -- you get kids AND adults in one place!

Tim Kelley
03-31-2014, 02:47 PM
That's what's so great about Kidical Mass -- you get kids AND adults in one place!

Greedy adults. Won't someone think of the children?? (http://blog.bobbylikesbeer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/helen-lovejoy-pic.jpg)

ShawnoftheDread
03-31-2014, 03:14 PM

We don't need socks, per se. We need swag, with socks as a favored item.

PotomacCyclist
04-18-2014, 12:59 AM

lordofthemark
04-18-2014, 08:31 AM

As someone who is trying to be a FABB activist (though I've missed the last 4 meetings - two due to illness, two due to conflicts) I would try to go to one in Fairfax, esp to Tysons. But thats nowhere near my commute. So like last year, I will register at Canal Park at Navy Yard, and this year I will try to get to Crystal City as well.

peterw_diy
04-18-2014, 08:46 AM
Oddly enough, despite have something like 2 cowbells

Cowbells?

chris_s
04-18-2014, 08:49 AM
Cowbells?

http://www.denitto.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/IMG_06911.jpg

creadinger
04-21-2014, 11:28 AM
I heard a rumor that the Suitland Federal Center pit stop would be giving away a $3,000 bill to everyone that shows up, so please come and join us up on the hill east of the Anacostia. I cannot confirm nor deny whether that rumor is likely to be true. Also, make sure to bring a valid gov't photo-ID because I think the pit stop is inside the SFC gates.

drevil
04-21-2014, 01:01 PM
More vuvuzelas, Tim.

Tim Kelley
04-21-2014, 01:04 PM
More vuvuzelas, Tim.

Any color requests?

culimerc
04-21-2014, 01:48 PM
Any color requests?
Besides Pink? ;)