Likes Likes:  51
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pointless (Interim) Prize for Strava Art

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pointless (Interim) Prize for Strava Art

I was glad to finally get together with the Amazing Team 12 Cyclo-Paths over happy hour last night and to hang out with some of our friendliest of friendly rivals from other teams. Thanks to all of you for weighing in on the pointless prize I'm about to post. I learned that someone on this forum is particularly skilled at Strava art, but I hope that my encouragement of creativity will inspire others to see what they can make!

The Prize: The opportunity to attend the opening of "The Outwin" exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery on Friday, March 11. This is a triennial portrait competition for artists from across the country.

The Challenge: Complete a bike ride that yields the most creative* Strava Art. (*Creative, as judged by yours truly.)

The Rules: I can't look at all of everyone's rides on Strava, so in order to compete, you must post a picture of your Strava art along with the ride's title to this thread before midnight on February 29. The ride must have taken place between January 1, 2016 and February 29, 2016. As a one-time English major with no actual training in art, I am likely to put as much weight on the title of your ride as I put on the ride art itself. Entries that are portraits (broadly defined) will impress me, but won't necessarily win. Ridiculous entries are encouraged.

Things You Should Know about The Outwin : It's awesome. http://portraitcompetition.si.edu/co...xhibition-2016

Things You Should Know If You Lose: Don't despair. The opening event is just one night, but the exhibition itself will be up from March 12, 2016 until January 8, 2017. The museum is open 364 days a year, free of charge, from 11:30am - 7:00pm each day, so it's easy to pop by after work and you have plenty of time to catch the show!

I am looking forward to seeing what you all can do!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shardg View Post
    Pretty nice. Does unintentional art count?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rodeo #BAFS2016

Apparently I am not an artist, just for fun.

https://www.strava.com/activities/502428270
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidq View Post
    Apparently I am not an artist, just for fun.

https://www.strava.com/activities/502428270
    Kind of looks like a T-Rex riding a bull...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    Pretty nice. Does unintentional art count?
    Oops, did not know it had to be planned. My ride was not intentional, just happen chance and pointed out by another rider. I came across the pointless prize post and thought I would share.

Post Thanks / Like

As the judge of this pointless prize, I will permit unintentional art!

Post Thanks / Like

snugglefestival, your pointless prize inspired me to make my first attempt at Strava art. Thanks for providing the extra motivation (even if my hamstrings are less than grateful for the extra hills)!

Because riding feels like flying,
    https://www.strava.com/activities/504738024

2-28-2016 1-10-46 PM, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shardg View Post
    Oops, did not know it had to be planned. My ride was not intentional, just happen chance and pointed out by another rider. I came across the pointless prize post and thought I would share.
    I'm sorry my (intended) lighthearted comment led you to believe your work of art wasn't a valid entry for snugglefestival's Pointless Prize. I think it's pretty darn good and all the better that it wasn't planned.