Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: W&W London Bridge Pointless Prize Log

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    What if your handlebar does not hit the ground, because it is cushioned by two feet of snow? And your body rolls into the snow, but never touches "ground"?
    So you crossed the Humpback Bridge too?

2. Likes KWL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    What if your handlebar does not hit the ground, because it is cushioned by two feet of snow? And your body rolls into the snow, but never touches "ground"?
    Are you a lawyer?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    Are you a lawyer?

No, but I play one on TV.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terpfan View Post
    So you crossed the Humpback Bridge too?
    No, this happened on the W&OD on the way to to Vienna on Saturday.

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I suppose we can discuss the definition of "fall."
    I suggest anything that causes your handlebar to unintentionally hit the ground while you are riding the bike and at least one part of your body other than your feet also touches the ground. (If you can nimbly dismount and land on your feet while your bike skitters away, then not a fall, but hopefully someone got video.)

Stopped while "riding" still counts, such as while standing at a light or failing to clip out. Dropping your bike accidentally shouldn't count unless you go down with it.
    I will have to defer on definition to W&W who created this Pointless Prize. I think a fall should include both the bike and the rider hitting the ground/snow/pavement.

Post Thanks / Like

Default London Bridge prize -- definition of a "fall"

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    I will have to defer on definition to W&W who created this Pointless Prize. I think a fall should include both the bike and the rider hitting the ground/snow/pavement.
    What constitutes a “fall” for the London Bridge prize?

To me it means you don’t catch yourself with your feet and stay upright … you actually go down in one way or another. I have no interest in getting lawyerly and technical. If you feel it was a fall, and you live to tell the tale, that is good enough for me.

I don’t care about your bike… I mean, I do care, but not for this prize. If your bike magically stays upright in a snowbank while you topple over the handle bars, then that counts too (and I’d love to see the video ).

I hope you do not get hurt… I hope everyone falls into nice deep fresh snow! But I know a lot of us are getting banged up, bruised, scraped, cracked…. It all counts.

Be safe! Happy riding. w&w

8. Likes Steve O, consularrider liked this post
    vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm on one. Bike came to an unintentional stop on a gentle uphill in snow/slush about 10 feet into a ride. Didn't unclip in time. Hopefully my next door neighbors didn't see it.

10. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe per the definitions offered, one for me.

I put a foot down on invisible ice. Foot went sliding one direction, bike went sliding the opposite direction. Bike wound up on the ground and while I kept most of my body off the pavement, I had to catch myself with my hands (and maybe put a knee down) and carefully crabwalk off the slippery part before I could stand back up again and then retrieve the bike. It was all slow enough that it was more of a gentle lowering to the ground rather than truly falling, but it was certainly unintentional and neither me nor bike remained upright.

12. 02-01-2016, 02:33 PM

I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I went down twice on Snowmaggedon Friday on my commute home from DC. Once on 4MR where I failed to navigate the S turn leading up to the sewage plant (right shoulder is still a bit tender from that one). The second fall was after I hurried to cross Lee Highway on the WOD, and couldn't brake fast enough after clearing the busy intersection (wounded pride, as I was out in the open and had a line of cars staring right at me). Luckily I was on my steely hybrid, El Gordito, and he didn't care one way or the other.

Oh, and my real name is Bruce, and I'm from Nu Joisey, too.
    Last edited by Boomer2U; 02-01-2016 at 03:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, given our definition, I will rescind my one fall since I don't feel it really counted. I'm more cautious since my last fall involved stiches, then again that was on a beautiful warm day without any snow.