Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: W&W London Bridge Pointless Prize Log

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by secstate View Post
    Add me to the list. My first week with clipless pedals ended with my first fall of the season: an uphill hairpin turn on gravel, getting off the Georgetown Branch Trail, in the dark. I lost too much momentum, and the bike and I toppled over. It was surprisingly sudden! I'm fine, the bike's fine, and thankfully the guy I passed on the bridge over Rock Creek hadn't caught up to see!!

Next time will be in traffic, no doubt.
    Ouch. Glad that you and the bike are OK, and that you escaped with your dignity intact as well.

2. Likes secstate liked this post
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by komorebi View Post
    Ouch. Glad that you and the bike are OK, and that you escaped with your dignity intact as well.
    Likewise I am glad you are not hurt. OTOH, it builds character to do the forgot-to-clip-out tipover with a lot of people around. Hopefully you will have a chance to join the club.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tipover.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	14024

4. Likes secstate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 41st St N in Arlington claimed me

I joined the Bikenetic C&O ride on Sunday and it was lovely. Until we rode back up 41st St N. Once I hit the switchbacks at the top I forgot to downshift. Combined with my poor slow-speed handling skills (something I really should practice, honestly) I came to a near stop and toppled in slow motion, drive-side down (always drive-side down!). I at least rolled my body as I went, so it was physically painless, but there were witnesses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birru View Post
    I joined the Bikenetic C&O ride on Sunday and it was lovely. Until we rode back up 41st St N. Once I hit the switchbacks at the top I forgot to downshift. Combined with my poor slow-speed handling skills (something I really should practice, honestly) I came to a near stop and toppled in slow motion, drive-side down (always drive-side down!). I at least rolled my body as I went, so it was physically painless, but there were witnesses.
    I missed that! Glad you're okay though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birru View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, I had a friend who was trying out 41st street for the first time, end up spraining his wrist when he toppled over near the top!

8. Likes Birru, secstate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My turn.

Forgot about a recessed valve cover in the road, hit it at 15 mph while my hands were flat on the bars. Nice splat with a cheese grater slide into home plate for the win. Bike went over on the non drive side and the brifter and a skewer lever took the brunt. The motor took a hit to the right side control arm center pivot and right side drive unit. I put some real world Gore into my magic gore Windstopper jacket and gloves. Even managed to grind a corner off my Garmin vioactive hr.

10. Dislikes Edelweiss, vvill disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Slip-Sliding Away in the Snow and Slush!

A real Freezing Saddles Crash in the snow. Here is how it went down: I started riding a few minutes before Midnight, discovered the Trail was very snow crusted, so I took the road and looped through my Friday Sleaze, stopped Strava. I restarted it to record my Saturday Sleaze, rode around, decided to try a short stretch of trail to get home When It Happened!
    I rode through the innocent-looking section of slushy snow and clipped out, just in case...in case was right! The next thing I knew, I was on my side in the snow and the Surly was down! Luckily, I was unharmed, and the bike is fine. I recorded evidence, righted the Surly, walked it off a few feet, and mounted up to continue the end of the ride.
    Riding after midnight has the advantage that no one ever sees you crash. Kate
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	14379   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	14380  

12. Likes Steve O, kwarkentien, streetsmarts, Birru liked this post
    Dislikes Birru disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I was hoping to avoid posting in this thread this year, and yet here we are.

I went down on Wednesday: the first day after the not-snow-day. I was crossing 66 to meet up with Custis to head into the city when I discovered the entire right lane filled with slush. At least, it had been slush at one time, by morning it had refrozen into a solid blob and I went down. Thankfully, it was a slow roll and I mostly caught myself before going down hard.

The thing is, that wasn't even the worst part of that ride. That award goes to attempting to push the bike all the way across a similarly frozen Roosevelt bridge (dist: 1 mi+) after the deceptive shoveling that stopped at Trollheim. By that point I thought "too late to turn back now, how bad can it be?" Answer: Bad.

14. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    ... so I took the road and looped through my Friday Sleaze, stopped Strava. I restarted it to record my Saturday Sleaze...
    I must remember this two-for-one deal for next year's Freezing Saddles. So you only have to suit up once for two days, nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    ...has the advantage that no one ever sees you crash. Kate
    But, but, but, crashes make mo' better pictures!

16. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    ELITE Sunyata ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    I must remember this two-for-one deal for next year's Freezing Saddles. So you only have to suit up once for two days, nice!
    I have, alas, been doing this a lot. Stay at work so late it's close to midnight when I start home, then reset my Garmin at midnight or a little after. Even if this gives me two days of rides at the cost of suiting up once, it's not worth it.

Of course, I typically don't even need the Friday part of the ride, since I'll have biked in to work Friday morning. But I have to admit, after a long week of late nights, being able to sleep late Saturday is nice.

18. Likes kwarkentien liked this post