Likes Likes:  340
Dislikes Dislikes:  30
ELITE ELITE:  11
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: W&W London Bridge Pointless Prize Log

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dachs6 View Post
    I have two to report.

Sunday morning (20/1), jet lagged, I joined a local CX race (non-UCI sanctioned) and went ahead and fell over while descending a short steep drop at low speed. Mostly fine, other than the cacophony of laughter from the Germans and some pointers on how to ride a bicycle.

Today (23/1), I just went ahead and dumped it over on a frozen gravel trail. Oddly, no torn clothing, and a tiny bruise on the outside of my right calf muscle...and torn bar tape (need to rewrap the bar anyhow)....I missed the big rocks and giant frozen mounds of mud from the logging trucks.

Not sure if they count, though, not due to ice or snow.
    Pictures or it didnt happen!

Post Thanks / Like

I fell down thrice on my commute this morning. Hit a patch of ice on cracked asphalt on Sligo Creek Trail. The crack was enough to cause a bit of a wobble which eventually brought me down. I ended up on a clear patch of pavement, my bike was a few feet in front of me on the next patch of ice. After sitting for a few seconds to curse myself and snap a few pictures, I stood up, walked over to my bike (which was on ice), bent over to pick it up, and - you guessed it - fell ever so gracelessly. Aside from a bruised psyche these falls did not cause much damage. I was able to scoot over to the grassy edge of the trail, stand up, and get my bike upright. I walked down to the next clear section of trail and got back on the bike. Continuing along for less than a quarter mile, I encountered some more ice, this time with hesitation. The lack of confidence led to the worst fall leading to a sprained ankle, torn shirt and glove, and some scrapes, and worst of all, a smushed banana inside my backpack. Now to convince my wife that continuing to ride is a smart idea.
    Pictures are from the first fall - notice the ice under the bike that leads to the second fall. Upside down phone = upside down pictures
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_E4087[1].jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	19141Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4088.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	19142

3. Likes Hancockbs, wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SamDenes View Post
    The lack of confidence led to the worst fall leading to a sprained ankle, torn shirt and glove, and some scrapes, and worst of all, a smushed banana inside my backpack. Now to convince my wife that continuing to ride is a smart idea.
    Solved:

Also, as a member of another team, I highly agree with your wife. It's way too dangerous to ride now and you should stay inside and play Xbox until the summer.

5. Likes Emm, CBGanimal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    Pictures or it didnt happen!
    Pictures? No time, it was a rapid remount and ride off, llest I let the myths be shattered. Or something like that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

On Jan 13th, riding in Woodbridge VA after the snow storm I fell 3 times on different roads. There were minor falls where I was going pretty slow and fell over into the snow on the road. Today (Jan 26th), riding in Michigan, on Michigan Day, I had my 2nd worse fall ever. It was after 30 miles of riding tensely and nervously on mostly untreated icy gravel, that I fell hard. I could feel it happening as the back tire slid out, so I tried to soften the blow by putting my arms out. Unfortunately, my hands only slipped on the ice and I still came down hard on my chest, knee and hip. My handlebar bike mirror was shattered and my chain came totally off. Other than the mirror, no permanent damage, I hope. Tomorrow I'll know if my chest and wrists feel worse.

Name:	IMG_20190126_112555533.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	19147Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190126_112608852_TOP.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	19148Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190126_112601473.jpg 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	19149Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190126_131342327.jpg 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	19150Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190126_131804304.jpg 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	19151

8. Likes streetsmarts, Boomer2U, wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob James View Post
    On Jan 13th, riding in Woodbridge VA after the snow storm I fell 3 times on different roads. There were minor falls where I was going pretty slow and fell over into the snow on the road. Today (Jan 26th), riding in Michigan, on Michigan Day, I had my 2nd worse fall ever. It was after 30 miles of riding tensely and nervously on mostly untreated icy gravel, that I fell hard. I could feel it happening as the back tire slid out, so I tried to soften the blow by putting my arms out. Unfortunately, my hands only slipped on the ice and I still came down hard on my chest, knee and hip. My handlebar bike mirror was shattered and my chain came totally off. Other than the mirror, no permanent damage, I hope. Tomorrow I'll know if my chest and wrists feel worse.

Ouch. Hope you're not hurting too badly Bob!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

10. Likes Bob James, wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ouch!!! Sending healing vibes from afar

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

12. Likes Bob James, wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bummer, Bob. Hope this doesn't keep you off the bike.

If you plan to ride those kind of icy conditions more/regularly, possibly invest in fat bike studded tires? Yes, they're really expensive, but they'll give you a lot more confidence. Besides, what's $300-$470 anyway, the cost of your deductible if you got really hurt? You can order them at REI and get your dividend: https://www.rei.com/search?q=studded+tire

I don't have studded fat bike tires myself, but I did get some Kold Kutter screws if the mood hit me to stud my own older fat bike tires. It's cheaper, but I've read (since I've yet to do it) that they may possible rip out of the tire and leave a gaping hole not easily fixable with plugs. This will get you started: https://www.mtbr.com/search.html?q=kold+kutter&x=0&y=0 (Click on the "Forum" results to see more threads.)

A third alternative is Grip Studs, but they're pretty expensive ($1/stud, and you'll need hundreds for both tires, depending on how grippy you want to get). I'd probably just get the pre-made ones myself.

The alternative to studded tires is to armor up with knee, elbow, and even hip pads... but I'd totes do the studded tires instead

14. Likes Bob James, wheels&wings liked this post
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    Bummer, Bob. Hope this doesn't keep you off the bike.

If you plan to ride those kind of icy conditions more/regularly, possibly invest in fat bike studded tires? Yes, they're really expensive, but they'll give you a lot more confidence. Besides, what's $300-$470 anyway, the cost of your deductible if you got really hurt? You can order them at REI and get your dividend: https://www.rei.com/search?q=studded+tire

I don't have studded fat bike tires myself, but I did get some Kold Kutter screws if the mood hit me to stud my own older fat bike tires. It's cheaper, but I've read (since I've yet to do it) that they may possible rip out of the tire and leave a gaping hole not easily fixable with plugs. This will get you started: https://www.mtbr.com/search.html?q=kold+kutter&x=0&y=0 (Click on the "Forum" results to see more threads.)

A third alternative is Grip Studs, but they're pretty expensive ($1/stud, and you'll need hundreds for both tires, depending on how grippy you want to get). I'd probably just get the pre-made ones myself.

The alternative to studded tires is to armor up with knee, elbow, and even hip pads... but I'd totes do the studded tires instead
    Just go with the 49 Nrth studded Dillingers. Mine are on the Pugsley until March. Check with KWL who runs the same setup in VA.
    Last edited by consularrider; 01-27-2019 at 09:02 AM.

16. Likes drevil, Bob James liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default W&W London Bridge Pointless Prize Log

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    Just go with the 49 N
    rth studded Dillingers. Mine are on the Pugsley until March. Check with KWL who runs the same setup in VA.
    Do you have the 60 or 120 tpi? Also, do you have issues with studs falling out much?

I might as well just bite the bullet and get some, but I was thinking of the chunkier Wrathchilds.
    Last edited by drevil; 01-27-2019 at 05:55 AM.