Likes Likes:  377
Dislikes Dislikes:  32
ELITE ELITE:  11
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: W&W London Bridge Pointless Prize Log

Post Thanks / Like

ltierstein, Just catching up on the forums, it was nice to meet you at the FS HH last night. Glad that you were well enough to come out. Take care of you first, don't worry about FS!
    But please let Team 4 know when you are ready to go, maybe a few of us can join you.
    Healing thoughts for you.
    Jo

Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ImaCynic View Post
    This should be a No Right on Red intersection.
    I suspect she was hit while both she and the driver had the green. She was eastbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I had my first 2019 London Bridges entry this morning in the snow. Went down when trying to turn on a hill where there was some piled up plow remains. Little bit swollen and abraded left elbow and pump sheared off of the down tube. No worse for the wear, but learned a valuable lesson about snow riding on slick tires.

4. Likes wheels&wings liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a reminder to keep posting any falls or crashes on this thread. You can share as many or as few details as you like. I don’t want you to go down, but if it happens you may as well win a prize for it! Be safe, everyone. w&w

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping the lack of additional entries on this London Bridge thread means that everybody has stayed upright!

7. Likes LhasaCM, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Alas, I have one to report from this past Friday, on the W&OD.

My bootlace came undone and wrapped itself around my pedal, which I didn't notice until my pedal stopped rotating. I tried pedaling backwards to unwind the bootlace, but I didn't have enough momentum and went ker-PLOP! straight into a snowbank alongside the trail. No damage to bike or body, thankfully. But my boot was pretty firmly attached to my bike at that point. The only way I could get enough leverage to lift the bike off myself and get back on my feet was to pull my foot out of my boot. Since I was already in a snowbank, that meant putting my socked foot straight into the snow -- and doing the rest of my ride with one wet sock. Thank goodness for wool socks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wheels&wings View Post
    I'm hoping the lack of additional entries on this London Bridge thread means that everybody has stayed upright!
    At least relatively speaking - I almost went down yesterday on the zig-zag ramp from 4MR on my way back to Target to get shovel #2. I went off the pavement in the first turn and the front wheel got caught and sent me tumbling sideways. but the railing kept me from falling all the way down. (It was one of those super slow motion types of falls like when someone forgets they're clipped in and come to a complete stop.)

10. Likes wheels&wings liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by komorebi View Post
    Alas, I have one to report from this past Friday, on the W&OD.

My bootlace came undone and wrapped itself around my pedal, which I didn't notice until my pedal stopped rotating. I tried pedaling backwards to unwind the bootlace, but I didn't have enough momentum and went ker-PLOP! straight into a snowbank alongside the trail. No damage to bike or body, thankfully. But my boot was pretty firmly attached to my bike at that point. The only way I could get enough leverage to lift the bike off myself and get back on my feet was to pull my foot out of my boot. Since I was already in a snowbank, that meant putting my socked foot straight into the snow -- and doing the rest of my ride with one wet sock. Thank goodness for wool socks.
    I anxiously await the video of this.

12. Likes chuxtr, Hancockbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh man. In the five BAFS that I have been involved in, this is the first time I have actually fallen due to winter weather.

A group of us went on a gravel ride out of The Plains on Saturday. The first climb on gravel was Bull Mountain, which faces north and was a pretty nasty mess of snow, slush, and ice. Everyone was being pretty careful coming down the mountain, and one guy had stopped to warn of a big hole on a particularly slushy section. While I was paying attention to him, I hit a really deep slushy spot and both wheels slipped out from under me and down I went. Luckily, it was a pretty soft landing and no damage to anything other than my ego.

Valuable lessons learned on that ride though:
    1) gravel tires suck in snow and slush
    2) falling into snow and slush is better than falling on gravel
    3) whisky helps that bruised ego recover very quickly

Post Thanks / Like

I have two to report.

Sunday morning (20/1), jet lagged, I joined a local CX race (non-UCI sanctioned) and went ahead and fell over while descending a short steep drop at low speed. Mostly fine, other than the cacophony of laughter from the Germans and some pointers on how to ride a bicycle.

Today (23/1), I just went ahead and dumped it over on a frozen gravel trail. Oddly, no torn clothing, and a tiny bruise on the outside of my right calf muscle...and torn bar tape (need to rewrap the bar anyhow)....I missed the big rocks and giant frozen mounds of mud from the logging trucks.

Not sure if they count, though, not due to ice or snow.

15. Likes josh, rcannon100, wheels&wings liked this post