Likes Likes:  226
Dislikes Dislikes:  26
ELITE ELITE:  11
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: W&W London Bridge Pointless Prize Log

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Egoodman View Post
    I only had one crash this 2018 Freezing Saddles season, but it was a significant one. On MLK's Birthday (Monday Jan. 15th) I was off to meet folks in my group (Sleet 16) to get some social miles in. It was around 25 deg. F outside and dry when I approached the intersection of Wilson Blvd. and N. Jefferson Street. There was water running in the gutter pan of Wilson Blvd., and some ice build-up after that (in the intersection). Buy the time a made the decision to slow down and avoid the ice build-up, my wheels started to come out from under me, and I hit the asphalt hard. It turned out that the approach to the intersection was glazed with black ice from turning cars. I was able to unclip from the bike, and sit up, but I could not stand, so I sat in an icy puddle until I could squooch to the curb for a seat. In the mean time, several people had stopped to lend a hand, and an ambulance was called. I got an ambulance ride to Virginia Hospital Center where it was determined that I had a quadriceps contusion. Biking became very limited because I could not bend my right knee past 90 deg. In the weeks that have followed, I have received a determination that I have a quadriceps tendon partial tear, so biking has been limited to shorter slower rides. Little by little, I am working my way back to a level that I can restart my daily commute to Capitol Hill.
    Ouch. Hope you're healing up. I hate to hear about London bridges contestants!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default London Bridge contestants, to date

Reviewing the several pages of 2018 entries, it is painfully clear that London Bridge came crashing down this Freezing Saddles season, due to vast quantities of black ice and other slick-and-treacherous conditions. Thus far the tally includes 17 riders. Crashes included hard wipe-outs, significant injuries, ripped clothes, smashed bikes, impressive slides, and humiliating splatters in front of hundreds of onlookers. My heart goes out to all who took-the-plunge in this 2018 season. Thank you for sharing. Below is the current tally…please feel free to add any incidents I’ve left out. Some riders had as many as four crashes, and I know that some of the single crashes were really bad too. Sending hugs and healing wishes. w&w

Supernova …. 1
    Josh ….3
    QuikAF77 …. 2
    Boomer …. 2
    DrP …. 1
    CPTJohnC ….1
    Bentbike33 … 2
    Sjclaeys …. 1
    Closebr ….2
    Bob James …. 1
    Consularrider …. 2
    Dana Wise …. 4
    Jepstein ….1
    JonRobot ….1
    Cvcalhoun ….1
    Egoodman …. 1
    William P. …. 1

And thank you, Judd and SteveO… your bribes are always very welcome .

Post Thanks / Like

Even though she did not post here, I think you need to add Reji's cement truck incident. After all, she did have to dive off of poor Pinky to save herself.

Post Thanks / Like

I really wanted to take the lead here, so I wiped out twice at Wednesday Night Spins today. First time was in that slick spot halfway through the first lap, but at least I was moving slowly, and by the time I was moving again I was lapped. Second time happened about 6 minutes from the end, and somehow I slid out on a wide turn and probably went 30 feet with my bike. Bars got knocked out of position and I figured it wasn't worth getting back in it, so DNF for me. I did come down on both sides, so at least the bruises won't be too concentrated .

5. 01-08-2019, 05:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, I may be a contestant for the 2019 London Bridge Prize, but I need to get the rules clarified. Does going down count for the prize when your bicycle is hit by a car? It happened to me on Sunday afternoon, around 1:30, eastbound on the W&OD when crossing Lee Highway. A car turned right, right into me.

I posit that the car smacked right into the left side of my body, and I then fell to the ground, because the damage to said body was: a bruised rib (CAT scan required to rule out break and damage to the pancreas); scrapes on the left leg, around the knee (x-ray required to rule out a break); broken orbital bone on top of left eye (confirmed by X-ray and/or MRI, I forget which), with a minor (as these things go) brain bleed underneath, and a massive black eye. I don't have any pictures of the crash or the car, since I was unconscious at the time. I remember coming to as my neck was being strapped down, in the ambulance. I was taken to Fairfax Inova, not the closest hospital, but the one with a specialized Trauma ICU (TICU) room. I DO have a picture of my face, with the black eye and stitches, if documentation is needed.

I was in the hospital for 24 hours -- they needed to keep me overnight to ensure that my brain and eye were alright. The Arlington police officer who was at the scene stopped my room twice. The first time was a few hours after the crash, to ask me about it -- I didn't remember anything; the driver was given a citation. The second time was to deliver my house keys!! which I had told her during the first visit were in a pannier that was on the bicycle. I think I'll send her a thank you note.

A friend came by to drive me home from the hospital and to pick up my bicycle at Arlington Fire House #6, right off the W&OD. Furthering my hypothesis that my injuries were caused by the car directly hitting me, and not by me bouncing off the pavement, was the fact that the bicycle seems to have almost no damage -- the struts of the front fenders are detached from the fork attachment thingee, that's all I can see. To be brought to the bike shop for a better check as soon as I'm able to ride again -- so much for riding every day of Freezing Saddles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ltierstein View Post
    Unfortunately, I may be a contestant for the 2019 London Bridge Prize, but I need to get the rules clarified. Does going down count for the prize when your bicycle is hit by a car? It happened to me on Sunday afternoon, around 1:30, eastbound on the W&OD when crossing Lee Highway. A car turned right, right into me.

I posit that the car smacked right into the left side of my body, and I then fell to the ground, because the damage to said body was: a bruised rib (CAT scan required to rule out break and damage to the pancreas); scrapes on the left leg, around the knee (x-ray required to rule out a break); broken orbital bone on top of left eye (confirmed by X-ray and/or MRI, I forget which), with a minor (as these things go) brain bleed underneath, and a massive black eye. I don't have any pictures of the crash or the car, since I was unconscious at the time. I remember coming to as my neck was being strapped down, in the ambulance. I was taken to Fairfax Inova, not the closest hospital, but the one with a specialized Trauma ICU (TICU) room. I DO have a picture of my face, with the black eye and stitches, if documentation is needed.

I was in the hospital for 24 hours -- they needed to keep me overnight to ensure that my brain and eye were alright. The Arlington police officer who was at the scene stopped my room twice. The first time was a few hours after the crash, to ask me about it -- I didn't remember anything; the driver was given a citation. The second time was to deliver my house keys!! which I had told her during the first visit were in a pannier that was on the bicycle. I think I'll send her a thank you note.

A friend came by to drive me home from the hospital and to pick up my bicycle at Arlington Fire House #6, right off the W&OD. Furthering my hypothesis that my injuries were caused by the car directly hitting me, and not by me bouncing off the pavement, was the fact that the bicycle seems to have almost no damage -- the struts of the front fenders are detached from the fork attachment thingee, that's all I can see. To be brought to the bike shop for a better check as soon as I'm able to ride again -- so much for riding every day of Freezing Saddles.
    I'm so sorry but glad you are mostly ok. Hope the driver or insurance compensates you. And hope your recovery is complete and you're up riding when you feel able.

Really glad your injuries aren't any worse!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Liking your post is not quite right. I’m sorry this happened to you and am very glad that you are alive and mobile. I hope your head injury doesn’t cause any lasting probles.

9. Likes Edelweiss, obscurerichard liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That sounds terrifying, ltierstein, especially the brain injury. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I hope you're able to take it easy and recover fully. Sending healing thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh hell, so sorry to hear this. That is a terrible intersection. I was heading east on the WOD at Lee just yesterday when a driver cut me off racing ‘round that same right turn. The proposed bridge can’t happen soon enough. https://wtop.com/arlington/2018/10/v...ghway/slide/1/

Get well quick. Guess you'll need to take it easy for a while given the head injury—you poor dear! Sending hugs. w&w

12. Likes Edelweiss liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Noooo! That sucks Leslie, so sorry. Be well and please let us know how we can help while you're recovering.

14. Likes Edelweiss liked this post