Likes Likes:  26
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Bridge across the Potomac - Community Wed, 27 Jan 1600-1900 L'Enfant Plaza

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

NPS objections to a Long Bridge Park-MVT connector would be bizarre. I could understand the reasoning if this were some remote national park with no traces of human development anywhere for miles. But the location of the proposed connection would likely sit in between the Metrorail bridge and the freight rail bridge (today's Long Bridge) with the 14th St road bridges just a short distance away from that.

That's not a very natural-looking spot today. I do understand objections based on the number of trees that would have to be cleared on that spot for the connection. But other trees can be planted elsewhere, while the connector would promote cycling, running and walking, which can have a positive effect on the environment if they displace automobile trips. Even if we're just talking about recreational trips, better access to the MVT means that perhaps some people will not drive out to the Gravelly Point parking lots. Instead, they can take Metro or a bus or CaBi or walk to Long Bridge Park.

2. Likes MrTinDC liked this post
    Steve O is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    Long Bridge Study
    January 2016
    The Long Bridge Phase II
    Community Meeting

Wednesday, January 27, 2016
    4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
    L'Enfant Plaza Club Room, Promenade Level
    470 L'Enfant Plaza, SW, Washington, DC
    L'Enfant Plaza Metro Station
    Did anyone go to this? Or have info on what happened?

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

It was postponed because of the snow. The meeting has been rescheduled for February 10:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Monday, February 1, 2016

Media Contacts

Terry Owens — (202) 763-8635, terry.owens@dc.gov

Michelle Phipps-Evans — (202) 497-0124, michelle.phipps-evans@dc.gov

Long Bridge Phase II Study
    Community Meeting

(Washington, DC) – The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) and Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) invite the public to the rescheduled community meeting for the Long Bridge Phase II Study on Wednesday, February 10, 2016, from 4 pm to 7 pm at the L’Enfant Plaza Club Room, Promenade Level, 470 L’Enfant Plaza, SW, Washington, DC.

The meeting will provide an opportunity for public input on the replacement or rehabilitation of the Long Bridge across the Potomac River in Washington, DC. The existing two-track railroad bridge, owned by CSX Transportation, serves freight, intercity passenger, and commuter rail services. The meeting will focus on recent project activities, next steps in the planning, and provide a general overview of environmental concerns within the project corridor.

DDOT received an American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) grant from FRA to complete a preliminary analysis in Phase I of the Long Bridge over the Potomac River. The Final Phase I Report is available on DDOT’s website, http://ddot.dc.gov/publication/final-long-bridge-study.

The Long Bridge Phase II Study, currently underway, will expand on Phase I to advance the National Environmental Policy Act process.

For more information, please visit the project website www.longbridgeproject.com or call 202-671-2218. Project comments can be submitted at info@longbridgeproject.com or Attn: Anna Chamberlin, Project Manager, DDOT, 55 M Street, SE, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20003.

What: Long Bridge Phase II Study Project Update Community Meeting

When: Wednesday, February 10, from 4 pm to 7pm

Where: L’Enfant Plaza Club Room, 470 L’Enfant Plaza, SW, Washington, DC

Transit: L’Enfant Plaza Metro and VRE Station

Getting to the Meetings

Be sure to check out www.goDCgo.com to learn about transportation options for getting to the meeting.

Can't Make a Meeting?

Materials from this meeting as well as the opportunity to provide feedback will be made available at www.longbridgeproject.com within 72 hours of the meeting.

Do you need assistance to participate?
    If you need special accommodations, please contact Cesar Barreto at 202-671-2829 or Cesar.Barreto@dc.gov 5 days in advance of the meeting. If you need language assistance services (translation or interpretation), please contact Karen Randolph at 202-671-2620 or Karen.Randolph@dc.gov5 days in advance of the meeting. These services will be provided free of charge.

Post Thanks / Like

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...30-and-6-00-pm

There's a meeting re this TONIGHT 11/29/18. Hope the link above or this one comes through. http://longbridgeproject.com/#

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by streetsmarts View Post
    http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...30-and-6-00-pm

There's a meeting re this TONIGHT 11/29/18. Hope the link above or this one comes through. http://longbridgeproject.com/#
    Thank you for the info, streetsmarts. The materials they posted from the meeting were helpful.

The selected option, with the wider space between the bike/pedestrian path and rail traffic, seems preferable. However, should we be concerned that since the bike/pedestrian bridge will be a separate structure that there may be a greater risk it doesn't get built?

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbehrend View Post
    Thank you for the info, streetsmarts. The materials they posted from the meeting were helpful.

The selected option, with the wider space between the bike/pedestrian path and rail traffic, seems preferable. However, should we be concerned that since the bike/pedestrian bridge will be a separate structure that there may be a greater risk it doesn't get built?
    I expressed precisely that concern on twitter - there is not yet a funding source definitively identified for either the RR bridge of the bike/ped bridge, so it was my concern the RR bridge could be built and the bike/ped bridge deferred indefinitely due to lack of funds.

I have since learned that one of the environmental issues created by the new RR bridge is loss of park space where the RR bridge takes NPS property. Apparently NPS considers the bike ped bridge to be mitigation for that (the bike ped/bridge will presumably be owned by NPS?) and the Environmental Impact Statement would say so, ergo the bike/ped bridge would legally have to be completed along with the new RR bridge. IIUC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    I expressed precisely that concern on twitter - there is not yet a funding source definitively identified for either the RR bridge of the bike/ped bridge, so it was my concern the RR bridge could be built and the bike/ped bridge deferred indefinitely due to lack of funds.

I have since learned that one of the environmental issues created by the new RR bridge is loss of park space where the RR bridge takes NPS property. Apparently NPS considers the bike ped bridge to be mitigation for that (the bike ped/bridge will presumably be owned by NPS?) and the Environmental Impact Statement would say so, ergo the bike/ped bridge would legally have to be completed along with the new RR bridge. IIUC.
    Thank you for the additional info! That helps clarify the inclusion of the bike bridge in the section on potential mitigation options.

9. Likes Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    (the bike ped/bridge will presumably be owned by NPS?)
    Please no, if that happens NPS would extend their trail ban on ebikes from using it, bad enough the DCMR still need revising to permit ebikes using the bridge sidewalk paths on any of the Potomac river crossings.

Post Thanks / Like

The Washington Post had an article on the Long Bridge project today:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.72affbd06000

Regarding funding the article noted:
    Funding for the project has not been identified. But as the study moves forward, officials in the District and Virginia say they will be working as a region to secure grants and have a funding plan in place by the time the study is complete. Virginia rail officials say $30 million has been budgeted for design and engineering — $15 million from state rail funding and a $15 million pledge from CSX Transportation, which owns the bridge.

12. Likes streetsmarts, Starduster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbehrend View Post
    Regarding funding the article noted: [$30 million has been budgeted for design and engineering]
    To put that into perspective, the new Wilson bridge was $2.35 billion.

Also interesting: the long bridge was built in 1814, rebuilt in 1863, rebuilt again in 1872, rebuilt again in 1884, rebuilt again in 1904, and then nothing changed in the next 114 years, and it's expected that the 1904 bridge will continue to be used indefinitely. The 1904 bridge wasn't even a new bridge: they reused spans taken from a bridge over the Delaware in Trenton. I wish those guys were still around to design our current infrastructure!

14. Likes Steve O, streetsmarts, Starduster liked this post