Likes Likes:  26
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Long Bridge across the Potomac - Community Wed, 27 Jan 1600-1900 L'Enfant Plaza

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    To put that into perspective, the new Wilson bridge was $2.35 billion.
    The article and meeting materials streetsmarts linked to both mentioned an estimated cost of $1.3 - 1.6 billion for the preferred alternative. It sounds like the relevant entities support the project, so hopefully, that support translates to funding.

Quote Originally Posted by mstone View Post
    Also interesting: the long bridge was built in 1814, rebuilt in 1863, rebuilt again in 1872, rebuilt again in 1884, rebuilt again in 1904, and then nothing changed in the next 114 years, and it's expected that the 1904 bridge will continue to be used indefinitely. The 1904 bridge wasn't even a new bridge: they reused spans taken from a bridge over the Delaware in Trenton. I wish those guys were still around to design our current infrastructure!
    The history and lifespan of the bridge is impressive. I also read somewhere that CSX had completed a rehabilitation project on the bridge within the last few years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbehrend View Post
    estimated cost of $1.3 - 1.6 billion for the preferred alternative.
    Maybe someone needs to start a GoFundMe.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Last night there was a public meeting on the Bridge EIS. Having been informed by Judd Lumberjack of the meeting, and it being on my way home, I attended, and spoke in favor of the preferred alternative including the bike/ped bridge as mitigation. I got there relatively late, so not sure if anyone I knew spoke earlier, I did see Zach D (forum handle?) there. Stewart Schwartz of CSG spoke just before me. I don't think ANYONE spoke against the bike ped bridge, and I think because its mitigation its clear it will happen IF and WHEN the RR bridge is done (AFAIK still no funding). I did ask someone from the project team if NPS will own the bike-ped bridge or DDOT - they did not know. Of course now NPS ownership would not necessarily be more restrictive of ebike usage than DC law.

There ARE some concerns remaining. I think there is some question about the width of the bike-ped bridge - planned for 14 feet, but its been suggested it could (and should) be wider for modest added cost. The turn onto the bridge from the ramp from the MVT appeared in the plans shown to be a tight 90 degree corner - difficult for many and particularly a problem for long tails, trailers, etc.