Likes Likes:  26
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Bridge across the Potomac - Community Wed, 27 Jan 1600-1900 L'Enfant Plaza

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long Bridge across the Potomac - Community Wed, 27 Jan 1600-1900 L'Enfant Plaza

Long Bridge Study
    January 2016
    The Long Bridge Phase II
    Community Meeting

The Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) and the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) invite you to attend a community meeting for the Long Bridge Phase II Study:

Wednesday, January 27, 2016
    4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
    L'Enfant Plaza Club Room, Promenade Level
    470 L'Enfant Plaza, SW, Washington, DC
    L'Enfant Plaza Metro Station

The community meeting will provide the public an opportunity to express their views on the possible replacement or rehabilitation of the Long Bridge across the Potomac River in Washington, DC. The existing two-track rail bridge was constructed in 1904 and serves freight (CSX Transportation), intercity passenger (Amtrak), and commuter rail (Virginia Railway Express) traffic. The community meeting will focus on recent project activities, next steps in the planning process, and provide a general overview of the environmental resources which have been identified within the project corridor.

DDOT completed an initial (Phase I) feasibility study of the Long Bridge in January 2015, which conducted a preliminary evaluation of various concept designs for upgrading the existing bridge, identified opportunities for multimodal connectivity and operational improvements, and determined existing and future capacity needs of the bridge.

The Long Bridge Phase II Study, currently underway, is expanding on the information from Phase I to advance the project through the initial stages of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) process. FRA and DDOT anticipate that an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) will be prepared for the project. In an effort to streamline the NEPA process, the Phase II Study will prepare a draft purpose and need statement, and conduct a preliminary screening and analysis of alternatives for the bridge replacement.

For more information, visit www.longbridgeproject.com or call (202) 479-2707.

2. Likes VikingMariner liked this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    Long Bridge Study
    January 2016
    The Long Bridge Phase II
    Community Meeting

DDOT completed an initial (Phase I) feasibility study of the Long Bridge in January 2015, which conducted a preliminary evaluation of various concept designs for upgrading the existing bridge, identified opportunities for multimodal connectivity and operational improvements, and determined existing and future capacity needs of the bridge.
    And in case anyone is unclear about what that means, in addition to identifying rail options (either a base case of renovating the two track bridge, or the more likely outcome of expanding it to four tracks) they also looked at adding either transit lanes for a streetcar (probably dead now that ArlCo has killed their street car project) general travel lanes (IE for cars, buses and maybe bikes?) and bike/ped paths. Which latter would significantly improve connectivity from NoVa/MVT to Hains Point, the SW Waterfront with its new development, and the Navy Yard area, and would provide some relief to the 14th street bridge path.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe this is also the project that we were hoping would connect Arlington's Long Bridge Park to the MVT via a bridge over the GWMP.

Post Thanks / Like

The dream:

Long Bridge Park access
    Mt Vernon Trail access
    Ohio Dr access
    Ohio Dr access again
    Maine Ave access (Hey Wharf, hurry up and finish your damn PBL)
    Last edited by chris_s; 01-19-2016 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Improved Clarity and added The Wharf heckling

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    The dream:

Long Bridge Park >> Mt Vernon Trail >> Ohio Dr >> Ohio Dr again >> Maine Ave
    My dream

MVT>>Long Bridge(see above) >> Maine Avenue PBL (proposed in Wharf project)>> Eye Street PBL (proposed in MoveDC plan)

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

More like the dream of the next generation. Seems like this is on a 10-15 year schedule.

Not that we shouldn't push for improved bike/pedestrian and multimodal connections though. The people in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s and early 2000s paved the way for much of the bike infrastructure we have today, including the MVT bridges over the ramps at National Airport, the bike path along the Wilson Bridge, Capital Bikeshare, etc. Some of those advocates didn't really get to benefit from all of the projects because they took so long to develop and build. I'm grateful for their work, and that's a reason to continue to push for improved and safer multimodal infrastructure.

As for the streetcar, I wouldn't quite call it dead. It's officially dead for now, but nothing prevents the idea from being revived later on. Probably not right away, but when traffic continues to back up on Columbia Pike over the coming decades, there could be another push, for either a streetcar or perhaps a MetroRail line (depending on how dense development is along the Pike and in Bailey's Crossroads 10, 20 or 30 years from now). The replacement of the Washington Blvd bridge over Columbia Pike was designed to accommodate a streetcar line. That is still the case, even though the streetcar project was canceled.

That's a long way off in the future, but so is the Long Bridge replacement. It makes sense to anticipate long-term transportation needs for such a project.
    Last edited by PotomacCyclist; 01-15-2016 at 01:16 PM.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PotomacCyclist View Post
    More like the dream of the next generation. Seems like this is on a 10-15 year schedule.
    10-15 years isn't next generation when you're talking infrastructure.

PotomacCyclist is offline I spend all day thinking about bikes and talking to people on the internet about them.
    Post Thanks / Like

For some people it might be, those in their 60s and 70s. They may not be riding in 15 years.

Now mostly Manhattan (NYC) with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PotomacCyclist View Post
    For some people it might be, those in their 60s and 70s. They may not be riding in 15 years.
    Them's fight'n words. I'm going live and ride forever.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be surprised if they added a pedestrian/cyclist phase all the way across the river here. It's always worth asking. But I would be happy if they connected Long Bridge Park Crystal City over to MVT. I think that alone would be tremendously helpful. But then again, I suspect this requires NPS so I'm not holding out hope.