Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
ELITE ELITE:  0

Thread: Teams (Strava clubs) update, naming conventions

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Teams (Strava clubs) update, naming conventions

The freezingsaddles.com website is updated with the names I could track down. Where are the slackers (not literally, the "slackers" already have a team) for Team 6 and 15? Maybe I missed a thread.

If you haven't joined a team yet, then you'll have been dropped from the FS website. To fix the problem join your Strava club. It may take an hour before you reappear.

I posted on a few of the threads, but I think a more general note is in order. I'd like to propose a basic set of guidelines for team naming, but obviously open to improvements.
    - Start with "Team N" where N is the number of your team. Putting this first is important because in some cases the charts/visualizations may clip team names, so it would be helpful to put the most salient info first.
    - Next probably whatever crazy name y'all decide by darts or arm wrestling.
    - Finally, probably some indication that this is for freezing saddles and the year. Historically this has been of the form BAFS2016, though I'd propose FS2016 to be a bit shorter -- and less Arlington-specific? In any event, remember that there's a Team N every year (at least where N <= 10), so indicating which year can be helpful if you'd like to keep the team around for years to come.
    - If you want to put emoji or kanji characters in your name, go for it, but beware that they may not render correctly everywhere. (Be advised that use of right-to-left languages will almost certainly render incorrectly in charts.)

So putting it together would yield something like "Team 21 - Drinking Age! FS2016".

Anyway, good luck out there!2
    Last edited by hozn; 01-08-2016 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Updated to propose FS2016 for names. I think this actually might be more historical?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, not sure how I had missed that (probably looking for thread with "team 6" in it), but fixed.

Post Thanks / Like

what about wheel team 20? https://www.strava.com/clubs/175398

Post Thanks / Like

Fixed now. I thought the 20 teams included slackers. Mickey wins for first to create the team Strava club!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Historically this has been of the form BAFS2016, though I'd propose BAFS16 to be a bit shorter. If folks object to the "BikeArlington" reference, perhaps we should choose a new hashcode But that's probably a separate discussion. BikeArlington has traditionally provided lots of support (at least prizes) for this competition, so it may not be out of place to keep the "BA".
    I saw that you went back and edited the above part, but BikeArlington is still planning on providing prizes and a fun "Pleasing Saddles" side bet, if that matters?

Post Thanks / Like

It does! Yeah, I edited it as I think I was wrong about the historical conventions. But mainly, I didn't want to start a debate on whether "Arlington" should be part of the name :-)

I know we all appreciate the involvement of BikeArlington in this competition. Even those of us not playing!

Post Thanks / Like

When motivation starts to flag we can tell folks about prizes!