Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Connect Hains Point 100 and Freezing Saddles for Next Season?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    McLean, VA
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Connect Hains Point 100 and Freezing Saddles for Next Season?

    For next season, I wonder if Freezing Saddles could start on the first day of winter or the day of the Hains Point 100, whichever comes earlier. The HP100 could be a really neat kickoff event and it would be nice to include the miles in the Freezing Saddles competition.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Loveland, CO
    Posts
    847
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    While I will not be here next year, I support this idea. It would make sense to have it be all of winter, Dec 21- March 20, and make sure the Hains Point 100 day is included just in case it falls before the Winter Solstice.

  3. #3
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,092
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It's not a bad idea, but I think a lot of us are so crazy/traveling with the holidays, starting on the New Year makes more sense.

    Of course, you should totally propose it to whoever is non-organizing next year.

  4. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Bethesda, MD
    Posts
    1,518
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lynnsalvo View Post
    For next season, I wonder if Freezing Saddles could start on the first day of winter or the day of the Hains Point 100, whichever comes earlier. The HP100 could be a really neat kickoff event and it would be nice to include the miles in the Freezing Saddles competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    It's not a bad idea, but I think a lot of us are so crazy/traveling with the holidays, starting on the New Year makes more sense.

    Of course, you should totally propose it to whoever is non-organizing next year.
    If someone intends to propose it to whoever is non-organizing next year, I would suggest this be done around Halloween. This year, discussion didn't even start until after Thanksgiving, so I ended up developing the whole registration form in a day to allow everyone time to sign up. That meant some really quick polls on issues that would affect registration. If the competition is to start earlier next year, it would be nice to have some lead time to modify the registration form and get it up in a timely manner.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853 View Post
    While I will not be here next year, I support this idea. It would make sense to have it be all of winter, Dec 21- March 20, and make sure the Hains Point 100 day is included just in case it falls before the Winter Solstice.
    You don't get out of it that easily! Unless there is a change in the rules, veterans can join Freezing Saddles even if they no longer live in the area.
    Last edited by cvcalhoun; 12-22-2015 at 02:19 PM.

  6. Likes Raymo853 liked this post
  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Madison Manor
    Posts
    943
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think that one reason to start on January 1 is that there is also the annual Hains Point "Cycle of Cycles" ride that day, which has been going on for at least 20 years.

  8. Likes Arlingtonrider, kwarkentien liked this post
  9. #6
    Steve O's Avatar
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dominion Hills in Arlington VA
    Posts
    3,555
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lynnsalvo View Post
    For next season, I wonder if Freezing Saddles could start on the first day of winter or the day of the Hains Point 100, whichever comes earlier. The HP100 could be a really neat kickoff event and it would be nice to include the miles in the Freezing Saddles competition.
    Side bets and Pointless Prizes do not necessarily have to occur during the competition. For instance, both the consularrider prediction and elf-photo caption contests occurred outside the usual time frame. And they could be awarded at the initial Happy Hour, just like the golden ingot.

    So one could imagine a motivated volunteer coming up with ways to connect the Hains Point 100 in other ways than just extending the date range of FS.

  10. Likes jrenaut liked this post
  11. #7
    jrenaut's Avatar
    jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Columbia Heights, DC
    Posts
    3,646
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd rather not start it any earlier - lots of people, myself included, usually travel for the holidays. The week before Christmas is a terrible time (for me) to start. I like the idea of a HP100 side bet, though.

  12. Likes Arlingtonrider liked this post
  13. #8
    ShawnoftheDread's Avatar
    ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Annandale-Downtown
    Posts
    3,460
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    While bringing in hp100 (and festive 500) miles would be nice, Jan 1 is a good start date, mostly to avoid travel and family time complaints.

    I think it goes too long though. It usually warms up nicely by the second week of March.

  14. Likes Subby liked this post
  15. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Loveland, CO
    Posts
    847
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    While bringing in hp100 (and festive 500) miles would be nice, Jan 1 is a good start date, mostly to avoid travel and family time complaints.

    I think it goes too long though. It usually warms up nicely by the second week of March.
    It seems to me it should include the Christmas travel period especially since riding at this time period may be more complicated. This is not a contest about pleasurable riding, but pain in the butt riding. Having to explain why you need to travel with a bike to get in your sleaze rides sounds perfect for such a contest.

  16. ELITE consularrider ELITED this post

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •